Droid update 2.1 news

sin vicious

Reaction score
Motorola Droid's next update to be Android 2.1, includes multitouch browser -- Engadget

article_label_fileunder.gif
Cellphones, Mobile Software
Motorola Droid's next update to be Android 2.1, includes multitouch browser

By Chris Ziegler posted Feb 8th 2010 9:05AM

android-201-manual.jpg
We've just gotten the inside line on the next Droid update that's making the rounds through Verizon's testing department from one of our trusted sources, and overall, it looks like this should take users 95 percent of the way to curing pangs of Nexus One envy. Here's what we've got:
  • It's based on Android 2.1. The build currently being circulated is identified as 2.1 version 1, mirroring the update just pushed to the Nexus One last week.
  • Google Goggles is now pre-installed (no matter how unhelpful it may be).
  • The browser's now multitouch enabled, just like Google Maps 3.4. Huzzah! No Flash, but then again, we weren't really expecting that.
  • Interestingly, the home screen's still got the same look as 2.0.1, meaning it doesn't adopt the Nexus One's rotating 3D grid of app icons -- it's still got the pull-up drawer tab at the bottom.
  • No active wallpapers. Bummer!
  • The news and weather widgets introduced on the Nexus One are included. Maybe certain capabilities of 2.1 are going to be restricted to devices with minimum performance benchmarks?
There's no word on timing, and for all our source knows, this build could still very well fail testing -- goodness knows it's happened with plenty of pre-production firmwares in Verizon's past. We'll keep our ear to the ground and you do the same.

http://www.engadget.com/

42o

Reaction score
Kind of bumed out about the no live wallpapers and the home screen part :frown:. But I guess that's more of a gimmick.

Multi touch in the web browser is awesome though

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good to hear at least something for someone other than a Verizon rep. I really hope 2.1 on the Droid doesn't make it look the same as 2.0.1 I really like the 3D zoom and little grid at the bottom. :D

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would have liked to see the launcher as well, no reason those bugs cant be worked out, it can run on the droid, maining still use to ported one for now.

actrack03

Reaction score
Was really hoping for animated wallpapers. Although not functional, they are a cool thing to show the Apple Fanboys. I guess I'm sticking to the Bugless Beast @ 950MHz

mattygabe

Reaction score
Wow, Google Goggles was pretty neat, albeit limited (at best... Most likely a useless attention-getter). Using voice search would be much easier unless you're surrounded by a pack of screaming monkeys.

R1Lover

Reaction score
I'm sticking with sholes..... as they already have all that and more... lol damn what a waste when a few coders can come out with more features then verizon/motorola. lol

GO SHOLES!

kaboyd

Reaction score
according to that report it's just adding Maps 3.4 and a couple widgets? Whoop te do... I'm not impressed.

INFERNO

Reaction score
this is not an impressive update.........I'll stick with BB......

blue rocket

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.grafixpressions.com
wtf, the biggest thing for me is the new look with cards. i sure hope this isnt accurate...or someone better do a better port job of the Launcher.

iPirate

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is all correct (Engadget = apple fanbois). If they kept the old app drawer tab at the bottom, how does the screen look? I'm not buying it and it actually sounds like a lot more work for Motorola to keep that from 2.01 than just update to 2.1. Same with the wallpapers, why not enable them?

A simple answer is the part of code this guy is testing is does not deal with graphic intense parts of Android, the drawer and wall papers are graphics intense and could be being implemented else where and then thrown all together in the end. Or Engadget is just bull****ting to attempt to piss Droid users off.

:)

Last edited:

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
So I guess the gallery isn't included. Wonder if it is gonna get the 5 screens or keep the 3.