Found App for speeding-up Droid & saving battery!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just got it, fails, I have BB 7.7 and can't seem to get wifi to work for me, though I did use the droidrootpro 1.1ghz clock setting, and the wifi fix isn't fixing it =(.

I'm running BB 8.7 @ 950mhz, works great. Good find OP. For those on BB 7.7... look out, JIT is not stable.

JIT appears to be totally stable on 7.7. I would draw the conclusion that MinFreeManager is not stable. Not really. I have a hunch that JIT changes the way Android manages ram and it doesn't jive with MinWhatEver. :)

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Until apps are coded to actually take advantage of JIT, I won't be messing with it. I don't play the benchmarking game ;)

Mayze

Reaction score
Just downloaded this app and set it too aggressive and all I can say is wow! I can tell a huge difference even with my phone already OC'ed to 1ghz.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Ok I was not a believer in this, but it used to take FOREVER for Dolphin Browser to load up, after installing this it loaded in about 1/8th the previous time it took just to open Google.

I'm seriously impressed, Advanced Task Manager might be out the window if it stays like this and is completely stable.

Mayze

Reaction score
Ok I was not a believer in this, but it used to take FOREVER for Dolphin Browser to load up, after installing this it loaded in about 1/8th the previous time it took just to open Google.

I'm seriously impressed, Advanced Task Manager might be out the window if it stays like this and is completely stable.

ATM has been uninstalled. Hard to believe something that works this well is free.

tdog7879

Reaction score
I use auto killer...its the same thing better ui and works good

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
reminds me of 'logmaid' for BB. I'll just let the OS do it's job.

nphil

Reaction score
yeah i've been using this app for a while now, got it off xda-dev's a long while ago.. What it does is basically force the android OS to allocating more free ram by changing the amount of memory allocated to different types of applications.. (foreground, background, processes etc.) So you basically get more free ram which could possibly mean increased performance when running memory intensive apps.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Whatever it does, it sure made Dolphin Browser awful happy. I can't believe how much faster it is now. :icon_ banana:

hollowbox

Reaction score
So what woulx be the difference between the mild and agrezsive setting.

nphil

Reaction score
aggressive imposes more severe restrictions on how the ram is handled and you get more free ram. So while it may look nice having lots of free ram, you will eventually experience slowdowns.. atleast this is how it's been in my experience. Optimum works fine imo.

After you apply a profile, you see that little notification in the bottom with a bunch of numbers? That is a rundown on how much max memory is allocated to each type of application

EDIT: I'm having memory issues using this and Xscope browser too, anyone else?

tktouch12

Reaction score
this makes a pretty big difference. aggressive so far has worked pretty well. i hope it keeps up the good work

nphil

Reaction score
actually I was referring to AutoKiller, not sure about the app mentioned here.. Here's a direct quote from the dev btw

The difference of this method compared to task killers like "Automatic Task Killer" is that there is no separate application involved.

There is no widget or taskkiller process which needs to be run.

Instead you configure the Android kernel itself how to handle processes. While taskkillers need to be run regularly (automatically or by hand) to check memory and kill processes, the way I described this gets done complete automatically by the Android kernel, immediately when available memory goes under the configured limits.

There is also no need for ignore-lists or something like this, as the Android kernel knows which applications it can kill and which not. Furthermore you can configure much more fine-grained when to kill which processes and the kernel is using the internal "last recently used" list and kills the least needed processes first.

External task killer only can kill processes "blindly", they cannot see which processes are "empty" (not hosting an Activity) or which have been in the background for the longest time, and so on..

When people tell you that taskkillers are evil, they mean that taskkillers interfere with Androids process management in a way this was never intended. The way I described you still let Android handling processes itself, but you just tell it to be more restrictive.

So this is far less invasive into the Android system and (should ) have less side-effects..

But I'm still learning. I am a programmer who wants to understand things. And fortunately here we have the source to do so..

So basically, force the OS to keep more ram free. I don't get how this could speed up day-to-day activities. Like for instance, I normally run with 5 homescreens and less than 35mb of ram free. I do not experience terrible lag, but its still there. With AutoKiller on at aggressive, I have around 50 MB of ram free, no noticeable performance improvements either. It's probably a placebo effect, you see more ram free and you automatically assume that your phone is performing better.

It's the CPU load that makes your phone sluggish, and unless your phone is totally out of ram and attempts to swap (not sure if android phones do this), you should be good. Oh and I know how your phone "feels" faster everytime you hit that Kill everything! button on your favorite task manager, but the difference there is that you're actually killing those apps, meaning they don't use cpu time.

BUT if you want to run a resource intensive application it could possibly speed it up I guess.. Oh wait doesn't android do this already?

Regardless, I still use this app with the "Optimum" profile, because hey, I like seeing lots of free RAM :D (habit from the old winmo and symbian days)