How to correctly unroot the Incredible

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Having your phone s-off is an indication that it has been rooted, which is a violation of terms of service. You may be charged full price for the replacement phone so you should always unroot before sending a phone back for warranty exchange.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im doing research because well for multiple reasons I want to root my Incredible. Before I do it I want to make sure it undoable. So please pardon my noobish question but what the heck is s-on and s-off? Is this a reference to superuser? Also how difficult is it to flash things on the droid?

S-on and S-off refers to security, not superuser. With S-off you can flash more things like kernels, radios, etc. It's very easy to root and subsequently flash things on an Incredible- we have tutorials to walk you through every step. The main ones are linked in my signature.

fuglybadger

Reaction score
RUU Help

Just so I am clear, one of my employees has rooted one of my company phones and has messed it up. VZW said warranty is voided because of it. If I download the RUU file, what needs to be done to install it. Sorry, old folks and technology, please have patience with me.

kubla1

Reaction score
Is this method still good?

I made a post a few weeks back suggesting not to unroot the Incredible by using the downgrade video but with some recent posts I have noticed some did not read it.

With the new Slcd's out if you downgrade to 2.1 to unroot you will be left with a black screen and a device rendered less then usable.

This post will show the correct way to unroot the device. It is already posted on AF, XDA, my blog and on Incredileforums.com. No excuses of "I didn't see it"

How to Unroot Correctly

PB31IMG Method

First step is to get s-on. Download this file and flash through clockwork recovery.(Note s-on does not work on radio 2.15.00.09.01. If you have radio 2.15.00.09.01 please flash this http://dougpiston.com/files/Radios/P...5.00.07.28.zip through Hboot first.)
http://dougpiston.com/files/S-on/unr...orever-son.zip

Now that you have s-on you can now flash the 2.2 RUU with Hboot. To do this you must have your sd formatted to FAT32. Place the file below on the root of your sd card after you renamed it to PB31IMG. (Root means not in any folders) Then boot into hboot. To boot into Hboot power off the device and reboot it while pressing the vol- and the power at the same time. The phone will then look for the file and ask if you would like to accept it. Select yes and then leave the phone alone until it asks you if you would like to reboot. Select yes and enjoy you stock phone.

http://dougpiston.com/files/RUU/bui...and-2.15.00.07.28-hboot-0.92.0000_PB31IMG.zip
MD5: 31BB1611A0FA8197D447C0438426717E

RUU Method

If you are having troubles getting it to flash through hboot you can also do the RUU. You'll need the newest version of HTC sync though. It can be found here: HTC Mobile Phone Support - DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC (Verizon) - Downloads

Once that is installed you can download and run this RUU:
http://dougpiston.com/files/RUU/RUU...4k_NV_1.70_PRL58006_release_152016_signed.exe

I just want to know if these methods to unroot my Incredible still valid. I did notice there was no updates to them?
Thank you

kubla1

Reaction score
Trying to flash the 2.2 RUU

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I've downloaded the PB31IMG.ZIP a few times but cannot open it. I'm using Winzip. Is that the wrong file to use?
Thanks

sinnister

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I've downloaded the PB31IMG.ZIP a few times but cannot open it. I'm using Winzip. Is that the wrong file to use?
Thanks

Try using WinRAR instead....never had a problem with it.

And to someone that posted before, I was reading the forums and someone was having the same issue as I was with constant rebooting. after about the 4th or 5th reboot in a row, I took out my battery and let it set for 5 sec and put it back in and turned it in normaly and and now everything works fine.

And as for the S-On....I downloaded the file from the 1st post (just a folder with files, no .exe or anything)....(this is gonna be stupid but) where do i put it? or what do I do with it? All you said was to download it

Last edited:

donrusso1478

Reaction score
Issues issues issues please help!

I made a post a few weeks back suggesting not to unroot the Incredible by using the downgrade video but with some recent posts I have noticed some did not read it.

With the new Slcd's out if you downgrade to 2.1 to unroot you will be left with a black screen and a device rendered less then usable.

This post will show the correct way to unroot the device. It is already posted on AF, XDA, my blog and on Incredileforums.com. No excuses of "I didn't see it"

How to Unroot Correctly

PB31IMG Method

First step is to get s-on. Download this file and flash through clockwork recovery.(Note s-on does not work on radio 2.15.00.09.01. If you have radio 2.15.00.09.01 please flash this http://dougpiston.com/files/Radios/P...5.00.07.28.zip through Hboot first.)
http://dougpiston.com/files/S-on/unr...orever-son.zip

Now that you have s-on you can now flash the 2.2 RUU with Hboot. To do this you must have your sd formatted to FAT32. Place the file below on the root of your sd card after you renamed it to PB31IMG. (Root means not in any folders) Then boot into hboot. To boot into Hboot power off the device and reboot it while pressing the vol- and the power at the same time. The phone will then look for the file and ask if you would like to accept it. Select yes and then leave the phone alone until it asks you if you would like to reboot. Select yes and enjoy you stock phone.

http://dougpiston.com/files/RUU/bui...and-2.15.00.07.28-hboot-0.92.0000_PB31IMG.zip
MD5: 31BB1611A0FA8197D447C0438426717E

RUU Method

If you are having troubles getting it to flash through hboot you can also do the RUU. You'll need the newest version of HTC sync though. It can be found here: HTC Mobile Phone Support - DROID INCREDIBLE by HTC (Verizon) - Downloads

Once that is installed you can download and run this RUU:
http://dougpiston.com/files/RUU/RUU...4k_NV_1.70_PRL58006_release_152016_signed.exe

So i followed these steps as directed had a few issues with the PB31IMG.zip file but I re-formatted the SD Card and tried again and it worked out. It finally asks me If I want to re-boot the device, I push Volume up for yes... It reboots i slide the lock bar down to unlock the phone and start the setup process and the phone reboots and it keeps doing this over and over. My HBOOT menu reads as follows...

INCREDIBLEC XC SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.92.0000
MICROP-0417
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.07.28
JULY 23 2010, 18:06:51

HBOOT

<VOL UP> TO PREVIOUS ITEM
<VOL DOWN> TO NEXT ITEM
<POWER> TO SELECT ITEM

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
FACTORY RESET

Can you see anything wrong with this? what should I do to fix this problem? Please Help me this is my wife's phone and I really don't want to hear her tomorrow morning when I say her phone isn't working at all.
Thanks guys!

Ok for the hell of it i just tried the whole process again thinking maybe i missed something that was probably the stupidest thing I could ever have done because now when I choose to reboot i just keep getting the HTC Incredible white screen and it flashes over and over again like its trying to boot but nothing happens. Please tell me i didn't brick this phone... I still can get to the hboot menu if that info helps you.

Last edited:

Chris817

Reaction score
unroot to receive ota?

Ok I finally decide to root using the unrevoked3 (left everything stock, just gained root access)
method and of course, they announce the 2.3.4 update is now coming soon.
My question is, Do I need to unroot and turn s-on to receive the ota, or will I receive it?

Last edited:

tweebee

Incredible RS
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok I finally decide to root using the unrevoked3 (left everything stock, just gained root access)
method and of course, they announce the 2.3.4 update is now coming soon.
My question is, Do I need to unroot and turn s-on to receive the ota, or will I receive it?

You have to be unroot and s-on to receive the OTA.

6StringDave

Reaction score
Yikers, I seem to be the only one who has this question! It doesn't seem to matter where I google, after more than an hour I still can't get the answer. I suppose it's so basic that the geeks all take it for granted that anybody knows how, but not me. Hard to understand how such freaks as myself aren't to be expected when unrevoked made no such understanding of any of this necessary in order to get my phone rooted.

Doug, you are very concise on what to do with the PB31IMG file, and thanks for that!

THE QUESTION:

I must first get my s on, and I'm not clear on any procedure for flashing my phone with the unrevoked-forever-son file. I see that it's a zip file which I have just downloaded to my computer (Linux), but I can't just run a zip file from where I have it on my laptop. So, what do I do with it next? Should I transfer unrevoked-forever-son to my phone root and then boot into HBOOT (like with the PB31IMG file)? Should I unpack unrevoked-forever-son where it is, and then run what part of the results, and from where? I have the file downloaded, but how, exactly, do I flash it to my phone? Please help!

Thanks.

Last edited:

tweebee

Incredible RS
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yikers, I seem to be the only one who has this question! It doesn't seem to matter where I google, after more than an hour I still can't get the answer. I suppose it's so basic that the geeks all take it for granted that anybody knows how, but not me. Hard to understand how such freaks as myself aren't to be expected when unrevoked made no such understanding of any of this necessary in order to get my phone rooted.

Doug, you are very concise on what to do with the PB31IMG file, and thanks for that!

THE QUESTION:

I must first get my s on, and I'm not clear on any procedure for flashing my phone with the unrevoked-forever-son file. I see that it's a zip file which I have just downloaded to my computer (Linux), but I can't just run a zip file from where I have it on my laptop. So, what do I do with it next? Should I transfer unrevoked-forever-son to my phone root and then boot into HBOOT (like with the PB31IMG file)? Should I unpack unrevoked-forever-son where it is, and then run what part of the results, and from where? I have the file downloaded, but how, exactly, do I flash it to my phone? Please help!

Thanks.

To flash the s-on file, download and copy the zip file to the root of your SD card. Then boot into recovery using Vol. Down + Power buttons. Then flash using option install zip from sd card.

6StringDave

Reaction score
To flash the s-on file, download and copy the zip file to the root of your SD card. Then boot into recovery using Vol. Down + Power buttons. Then flash using option install zip from sd card.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I want you to know that I have no intention whatsoever of being a smartass, I truly need to understand this. Because what I found when I tried to follow the above instructions took me frighteningly deep into the strange HBOOT menu system, through process selections which are much less intuitive than those called for in order to install PB32IMG. It was only through trial and error that I was able to access what you referred to in the above, and I found it to be a bit more complex, so I would appreciate you confirming or denying whether I have this right:

1. Transfer unrevoked-forever-son.zip to the sd card root
2. Hold down the power and the Volume Down button simultaneously and boot into HBOOT (Recovery is one step afterward)
2. Select Recovery using Volume Down, and then the POWER button
3. From here, selections need to be made with the camera button (optical joystick). I tried the Power button, but at this level it just shut off my screen. Using Volume Down, and then the joystick button (be careful not to hit it at an angle!), select "apply sdcard:update.zip"
4. Select "Yes - Install /sdcard/update.zip"
5. Select "Install zip from sdcard" (NOT "apply sdcard:update.zip"!)
6. Scroll, scroll, and scroll until you have reached the files (not folders), and then select "unrevoked-forever-son.zip"

Is this how I need to do it, or will the Verizon thought police detonate it on me when I do that?

Last edited:

tweebee

Incredible RS
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick reply.

I want you to know that I have no intention whatsoever of being a smartass, I truly need to understand this. Because what I found when I tried to follow the above instructions took me frighteningly deep into the strange HBOOT menu system, through process selections which are much less intuitive than those called for in order to install PB32IMG. It was only through trial and error that I was able to access what you referred to in the above, and I found it to be a bit more complex, so I would appreciate you confirming or denying whether I have this right:

2. Hold down the power and the Volume Down button simultaneously and boot into HBOOT (Recovery is one step afterward)
3. From here, selections need to be made with the camera button (optical joystick). I tried the Power button, but this time it just shut off my screen. Using Volume Down, and then the joystick button (be careful not to hit it at an angle!), select "apply sdcard:update.zip"
4. Select "Yes - Install /sdcard/update.zip"
5. Select "Install zip from sdcard" (NOT "apply sdcard:update.zip"!)
6. Scroll, scroll, and scroll until you have reached the files (not folders), and then select "unrevoked-forever-son.zip"

Is this how I need to do it, or will the Verizon thought police detonate it on me when I do that?

Borrowing some of your steps, here are the correct steps:

3. From here, selections need to be made with the camera button (optical joystick). I tried the Power button, but this time it just shut off my screen. Using Volume Down, and then the joystick button (carefully, it's a pain!), select "apply sdcard:update.zip"
4. Select "Install zip from sdcard" (NOT "apply sdcard:update.zip"!)
5. Select "choose zip from sdcard"