How to correctly unroot the Incredible

6StringDave

Reaction score
Borrowing some of your steps, here are the correct steps:

1. Transfer unrevoked-forever-son.zip to the sd card root
2. Hold down the power and the Volume Down button simultaneously and boot into HBOOT (Recovery is one step afterward)
2. Select Recovery using Volume Down, and then the POWER button
3. From here, selections need to be made with the camera button (optical joystick). I tried the Power button, but this time it just shut off my screen. Using Volume Down, and then the joystick button (carefully, it's a pain!), select "apply sdcard:update.zip"
4. Select "Install zip from sdcard" (NOT "apply sdcard:update.zip"!)
5. Select "choose zip from sdcard"
6. Scroll, scroll, and scroll until you have reached the files (not folders), and then select "unrevoked-forever-son.zip"

Thanks, I got my S-ON now!

6StringDave

Reaction score
I'm now trying to run PB31IMG through hboot. Hmmm.... I've got the PB31IMG.zip on the root "/mnt/sdcard/" of my sd card, which is FAT32, and hboot gives me the wrong-file-or-bad-file error. Does the file need to be renamed without the zip extension, or should I expect that something else has caused this? Do any settings such as sync need adjustment first?

Last edited:

tweebee

Incredible RS
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm now trying to run PB31IMG through hboot. Hmmm.... I've got the PB31IMG.zip on the root "/mnt/sdcard/" of my sd card, which is FAT32, and hboot gives me the wrong-file-or-bad-file error. Does the file need to be renamed without the zip extension, or should I expect that something else has caused this? Do any settings such as sync need adjustment first?

Make 2 copies of the same file and copy them to the root of your SD card. Rename them to PB31IMG and PB31IMG.zip. Boot to Hboot using Vol. Down + Power buttons. Hboot should recognize one of those two files.

6StringDave

Reaction score
Make 2 copies of the same file and copy them to the root of your SD card. Rename them to PB31IMG and PB31IMG.zip. Boot to Hboot using Vol. Down + Power buttons. Hboot should recognize one of those two files.

That didn't work either, so guess I'll try a different sd card.

I hate to say this now, but recent news has found me less interested in unrooting my Incredible. I was trying to do this because I had heard of functional problems such as the video cam locking up when a phone is rooted. I thought that my rooting may be suspect for a recent problem with satellite navigation started this week, but now I've found out that everybody in upstate NY is getting that due to a Verizon screw-up. Now my phone is S-ON, but still rooted (well, I've still got the Superuser app, plus some rooted apps), and the question at this point is can I get my S back off without running unrevoked? I went and ran the current Unrevoked download, but it gave me a "is your rom too new?" error. It's hurting bad enough dealing with a factory reset recovery, and just because Verizon f---ed all it's users in the area, and now I'm hoping I won't have to live with S-OFF permanently. What are the implications for what I can do anyway, when you have root (or can I still really have it), but you are S-ON?

Last edited:

tweebee

Incredible RS
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That didn't work either, so guess I'll try a different sd card.

I hate to say this now, but recent news has found me less interested in unrooting my Incredible. I was trying to do this because I had heard of functional problems such as the video cam locking up when a phone is rooted. I thought that my rooting may be suspect for a recent problem with satellite navigation started this week, but now I've found out that everybody in upstate NY is getting that due to a Verizon screw-up. Now my phone is S-ON, but still rooted (well, I've still got the Superuser app, plus some rooted apps), and the question at this point is can I get my S back off without running unrevoked? I went and ran the current Unrevoked download, but it gave me a "is your rom too new?" error. It's hurting bad enough dealing with a factory reset recovery, and just because Verizon f---ed all it's users in the area, and now I'm hoping I won't have to live with S-OFF permanently. What are the implications for what I can do anyway, when you have root (or can I still really have it), but you are S-ON?

Yes you can flash s-off back on. Download it here, http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forever/current/unrevoked-forever.zip. Use the same steps you did when you flashed s-on.

azdrifter

Reaction score
I had my Dinc rooted and the last few months any rom i was using had been acting really buggy.So i decided to unroot and go back to stock i used the ruu method and the first time i got an error message that my phone could not be upgraded to the newer software.
So after some extensive research and forum surfing i found this post by Doug and followed his instructions and the unroot worked and i was able to install the ruu with the newest update and i am once again rooted because i chose to leave the S-off because I can't operate with an unrooted phone that's just so ancient LOL .
So thanks Doug you saved me again from another headache and by the way my Dinc is working perfect again.
At least until October when my contract expires and i hope the Bionic will be out so I can upgrade to it :icon_ banana:

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Will update this post with instructions for unrooting phones running 2.3 when they become available.

tvklovesu

Reaction score
Need help to sctok my droid inc

I had my Dinc rooted and the last few months any rom i was using had been acting really buggy.So i decided to unroot and go back to stock i used the ruu method and the first time i got an error message that my phone could not be upgraded to the newer software.
So after some extensive research and forum surfing i found this post by Doug and followed his instructions and the unroot worked and i was able to install the ruu with the newest update and i am once again rooted because i chose to leave the S-off because I can't operate with an unrooted phone that's just so ancient LOL .
So thanks Doug you saved me again from another headache and by the way my Dinc is working perfect again.
At least until October when my contract expires and i hope the Bionic will be out so I can upgrade to it :icon_ banana:

Hello Azdrifter,
I am trying the same as you did but I couldn't do stock. I did rooted couple weeks back to 2.3 and now when I try to unroot I followed all the ways to do and it still no luck. Can you please provide me the link where you followed the steps to stock. When I do RUU the current version is 4.06 and the ruu update version is 3.26 and when I try its giving error 140 bootloader version error. Even the PB31IMG.zip for FROYO OTA not working. Got error Main version wrong on HBoot. I am literally loosing my hopes on my phone.
Please help me to get it out.

Thanks

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What do you mean when you say you "did rooted couple weeks back to 2.3"? Did you manually install the update? Or just install a ROM with 2.3 baked in?

tvklovesu

Reaction score
Yes I did rooted maualy I believe so. I followed the steps in the below link and upgraded to Gingerbread 2.3 OTA. So now I am trying to stock my phone to original piece when I got my phone from Verizon.
OTA Gingerbread! - Android Forums

Classglass

Reaction score
im so lost ....

I'll be frank I don't know anything about rooting phones, etc. My sister bought a HTC Incredible off ebay and tried to activate it at Verizon. They told her no go. I need to find a way to unroot the phone so she can activate it and use it. The guy told her to come here for assistance but wont help otherwise. The only information I can gather is as follows:

MIUI
Model: ADR6300
Android Version: 2.3.5
Baseband Version: 2.15.00.07.28
Kernel Version: 2.6.37.6-cyanogenmod
Build number: MIUI-109020
SD - FAT32

Can someone please help me understand in layman terms how to take this phone back to "out of the package"? I have searched the forums and dont want to get the black screen of death or turn it into a brick. I am sooooo lost ... please help. I just want to look like a good brother. lol

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll be frank I don't know anything about rooting phones, etc. My sister bought a HTC Incredible off ebay and tried to activate it at Verizon. They told her no go. I need to find a way to unroot the phone so she can activate it and use it. The guy told her to come here for assistance but wont help otherwise. The only information I can gather is as follows:

MIUI
Model: ADR6300
Android Version: 2.3.5
Baseband Version: 2.15.00.07.28
Kernel Version: 2.6.37.6-cyanogenmod
Build number: MIUI-109020
SD - FAT32

Can someone please help me understand in layman terms how to take this phone back to "out of the package"? I have searched the forums and dont want to get the black screen of death or turn it into a brick. I am sooooo lost ... please help. I just want to look like a good brother. lol

Just wanted to follow, interested in why it won't activate. Have u tried dialing* 228 or via vzw website?

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

Classglass

Reaction score
When I dial *228 the automated system advises me to press one for activation. However there is no dialpad to press one. Any button pressed disconnects the call and take me back "home". View attachment 40904

azdrifter

Reaction score
When I dial *228 the automated system advises me to press one for activation. However there is no dialpad to press one. Any button pressed disconnects the call and take me back "home". View attachment 40904
First you are going to want to download the RUU file from here...... http://dougpiston.com/files/RUU/RUU...4k_NV_1.70_PRL58006_release_152016_signed.exe
after you download this go to the HTC site and download the latest version of HTC sync this is what will help you un-root your Dinc.
Make sure you install HTC Sync and then run the RUU file it will recognize your phone then just follow the on screen instructions and you will have a factory fresh un-rooted phone.
I used this when I first rooted my phone because it was stuck in a boot-loop and I couldn't or at that time did not know how to fix it so this worked when my phone was UN-accessible so it should work for you since yours at least turns on.
Hope this helps you.

Last edited: