Summer ROM testing

bikedude880

Reaction score
Are you sure you can't for either? There is pll overclocking and pin modding. Also, I have 2 GB ddr 2 sticks I can send if its a bad slot. Also, I do have that extra cpu laying around. I even can make a secured account for donating cpu time on my desktop I don't use much so really if its computational power were short I will throw what I have at it.

Send me your specs, I want to work something out since it seems kinda ridiculous were short a man just because of his computer.

There is absolutely nothing that can be done for this proprietary pos. It's a Sony Vaio VGC-RB62G. It. Can't. Be. Helped.
Frankly I want to see this 7-yo pile of crap at the bottom of a river.

No, i dont either but still. Set it compiling for while your at work or sleeping. Its what i normally do when im compiling something.

Yea, it boots but not much works so its in the same boat basically

I was doing that. When I was sleeping, when I was working, when I was out of the house. Still doesn't matter, it's wasted time waiting for a brick.

aceoyame

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Ok so you can put 2 GB in that thing. I can provide that, also I can give you that Pentium D 3.4 ghz and I can have it pre pin modded too that way its clocked a little higher than that even. It is LGA 775 so all I need to do is use my conductive pen and paint the pins. I have done that before to a Celeron E3200 to take it from 2.4 to 3.2 ghz @ boot and then oc it to 4.1 ghz.

Where there is a will theres a way and god damn it I want Cyanogen mod and I will do what I can to help. As I have said before I was a dev on the other phones and want to start here. Also I am a desktop admin where I work so I have plenty of access to hardware.

I am going to see if this thing can take a Core series cpu. If it can I am going to give you one.

EDIT: It can use a Core 2 series cpu, I am going to see what we have available here. I know we have those available. A core 2 series with a pin mod and 2 gb of ram will be a huge upgrade to that thing. It isn't quite as useless as you thought lol.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yes but its still more than anyone else i know is doing (i dont really know how many other people are working on d2g but still...). I'm trying to mod the d2 one to see if it works but it would be nice to actually be able to not have basically a hacked version working. I don't want the same thing that we had with roms for forever where half of it doesnt work because its mixed in from 3 different platforms

Also, if theres a way i can donate cpu time at will i can too. I use my laptop pretty often so it wouldnt be all the time but its better than none.

bikedude880

Reaction score
I really don't want charity for this system. It's a pile of crap.

Upgrading the memory would do little except reduce disk thrash and /maybe/ reduce the time by about 20-30 minutes. Maybe.

The CPU just needs to be melted down to molten silicon. The Pentium D series is akin to Windows ME.

aceoyame

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Oh don't call it charity. This is **** we have lying around lol. Where I work we waste tons of money on hardware. Even though it's conroe its still considered out of warranty therefore a pos here. Of course a tech like me knows that with a pin mod and in the right system it is as good as an I3, even some I-5's out there.

Edit: You are kinda lucky though, the 945p is the only 945 based chipset that will take a core 2.

bikedude880

Reaction score
Oh don't call it charity. This is **** we have lying around lol. Where I work we waste tons of money on hardware. Even though it's conroe its still considered out of warranty therefore a pos here. Of course a tech like me knows that with a pin mod and in the right system it is as good as an I3, even some I-5's out there.

Edit: You are kinda lucky though, the 945p is the only 945 based chipset that will take a core 2.

Did my own research: Yeah, the chipset supports it, too bad the rest of the board doesn't. BIOS update from Sony anyone? lol

aceoyame

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I dont think you'll need a bios update. It states it supports up to a 1066 mhz fsb which if I recall was launched with the core 2's. I know the Pentium D extreme edition has it but the 945 series wasn't designed for those.

edit: YEP! it will! Just not very many but that's what we need is the support! I will grab one now and see what I can do.

http://ark.intel.com/chipset.aspx?familyID=8764

bikedude880

Reaction score
It's not the chipset that's the problem, it's the lack of support for the CPU on the mobo. Trust me, I've had this system for near 7
6 years and tried.

It's like my ASUS P5LD2-VM mobo, only rev 2 supports conroe, I have rev 1.

Sent from my White DROID 2 GLOBAL.

aceoyame

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
What cpu did you try? A 45 nm core 2 definately will not work in there. Only a handful of cpu's will work in that board.

aceoyame

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Well worst case, I just hand you that 3.4 ghz Pentium D and see if I can perhaps BSEL and VID mod it to an even higher speed. I know you can with the core 2's at least. I would imagine these arent much different since they're the same socket and package.

Don't forget though I am totally open to letting you compile on my desktop/server.

bikedude880

Reaction score
If it comes to anything, I'll put it in my gaming rig... it's a Pentium D 935 @ 3.42Ghz (stock 3.0) w/2GB PC2-800 RAM

Sent from my White DROID 2 GLOBAL.

aceoyame

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Not much better than your compiling rig lol, anyways. The one I have is a 940 rather than a 935. It wouldn't be much better. But besides that, my server is a E5800 (Wolfdale based) @ 4.24 ghz with 4 gb of ram. It is about as good as 8 3 ghz P4's compiling lol. Anyways if you want fast compiling that is the best way for sure. But I don't mind sending out the parts from here if you need a mild boost. I think with my desktop you could get your compile time down to 45 minutes to an hour, maybe less.

Definately no more than an hour. I don't use my desktop much, it just sits around. I use it mostly as my media center/playon server. So it is wide open availability for computation time.

The way I have it imagined is that I can set up an account with special permissions for you, you can remote in using whatever software you want and then remotely run Visual c++ or w/e your favorite compiler is. I can even set up a linux or mac partition if needed.