Theming Guide for changing system text settings.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I think maybe you are doing too much? We all have our own way of doing things but here is what I would do.....

decompile and recompile just to test that it works... then go into the place-apk-here-for-modding folder and delete that unsignedsettings.apk file. Now we know it works so... next step... decompile it again.. now, go to styles.xml and edit whatever you are editing. when done, recompile with option 11. Hit Y, hit Y go into the "keep" folder and delete the resources.arsc file and also delete every xml you edited. Go back to the apk manager and "click any button to continue". Now stop. Don't sign. Open up your template for install ing it. Then go into the "place-apk-here-for-modding" folder and drag your unsignedsettings.apk into the template. Right click on it, rename it to settings.apk and then install that bad boy.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That works for root users by the way... settings is a system app so it doesnt matter. If in the future, you are editing say... facebook.. you can do the same as above for root users or you can also do option 4 for non root users to install into the /data folder or just put on the SD card and install it. Just remember, non root users can't use a template. So the finished file, in this case would just be Facebook by its non root name. com.facebook.katana-1.apk (or something like that).

Deciple

Reaction score
OK, I think I can manage that, however, I'm talking about the framework-res.apk not the settings, though I know what saying applys to my current situation none the less.
I am rooted just so you know.
& I was signing all this time, so that's gotta be mt struggle.
I'mma try it now........will let you now how it goes.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
where did I get settings from? lol

Yes the framework I would do the exact same way except, stick it in the /system/framework folder of your template.

Deciple

Reaction score
That didn't work xkape, I did it just like you said and it was actually worse.,
I had real bad lag, and no sign of change at all..
The best results I've had so far are skipping the keep folder delete procedure by hitting no then signing followed by taking the resource file and moving it into the apk I pulled from the system.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What ROM's framework are you working with man?

Deciple

Reaction score
I'm using stock right now, then I put my drawables back in after signing. its the closest I've gotten so far..I'm all around the fence just can't find the gate.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
1st, where do you even d/l the stock ROM from? Honestly, I dunno.
2nd, what are you tring to do exactly? you dont need to bother with image edits, those are easy enough.. tell me about the xml's. You can PM if you want to keep it to yourself.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I think he means he put the stock images into the ROM so that it'd recompile.... not that it is a stock ROM he's editting

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That didn't work xkape, I did it just like you said and it was actually worse.,
I had real bad lag, and no sign of change at all..
The best results I've had so far are skipping the keep folder delete procedure by hitting no then signing followed by taking the resource file and moving it into the apk I pulled from the system.

If I'm reading that part as it seems to be writtten, then there's the bulk of your problems right there...

Deciple

Reaction score
Ok. 1st I used Odin to go back to a stock set up and I pulled the system with adb.
2nd I flashed a custom rom and pulled the system from that as well.
The custom rom won't decompile and then compile w/o errors, so I replaceed the drawable-hdpi folder with the one from the stock framework...........you follow me............then it compiles without a problem. All is good with that one, it excepts the changes I made to the system, however I have to go w/o the images,Because whenever I replace the drawable-hdpi folder with the one with better looking images...It doesn't take in the phone, I get boot loops or force closes.
I use an update.zip to flash through recovery.
Theres gotta be another way to get those images in there.
lol.......I also did a test, where I decompiled the stock framework then compiled it (no errors) followed by only replacing one .png (the first one in the folder.....status bar something or another....) then I decompiled and recompiled with the exact same errors. The error list is long,telling me that the zzz_unlock_yadda_yadda_yadda....is not defined.
The thing is alllll those images it says aren't defined, are in the stock rom too, plus.......I didn't even change those images.
So what do ya think?

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
the 1st image in the folder is a .9.png activity_title_bar

You get those errors trying to recompile the non stock ROM because there are .9.png files in there with no guides on them.

I have a guess but I need more info..... when you are putting your images back into the recompiled framework, how exactly are you doing that? Tell me what you are doing to the framework file.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok. 1st I used Odin to go back to a stock set up and I pulled the system with adb.
2nd I flashed a custom rom and pulled the system from that as well.
The custom rom won't decompile and then compile w/o errors, so I replaceed the drawable-hdpi folder with the one from the stock framework...........you follow me............then it compiles without a problem. All is good with that one, it excepts the changes I made to the system, however I have to go w/o the images,Because whenever I replace the drawable-hdpi folder with the one with better looking images...It doesn't take in the phone, I get boot loops or force closes.
I use an update.zip to flash through recovery.
Theres gotta be another way to get those images in there.
lol.......I also did a test, where I decompiled the stock framework then compiled it (no errors) followed by only replacing one .png (the first one in the folder.....status bar something or another....) then I decompiled and recompiled with the exact same errors. The error list is long,telling me that the zzz_unlock_yadda_yadda_yadda....is not defined.
The thing is alllll those images it says aren't defined, are in the stock rom too, plus.......I didn't even change those images.
So what do ya think?

Do this.........

Decompile your stock ROM framework-res.apk.....
...place that decompiled apk into a different new folder named stock_decompiled, you can then delete that stock framework-res.apk from the place here for modding folder...
...now decompile your custom ROM framework, so that you will have a decompiled stock framework in the new folder & and the custom framework in the projects folder....you with me so far right?...
.... then replace any broken .9.png in the projects (custom ROM) folder framework, with the same unbroken .9.png from the new folder (stock ROM) folder..... now you have the custom ROM with all corrected .9.pngs...

....from there you just do your XML edits...'Y'es to it is a sytem APK... 'Y'es to copy over all files from the original framework-res.apk into the keep folder.... delete the resources.arsc file, any other XMLs that were in the layout, drawable, or xml folders that editted....and delete any .9.pngs that you corrected (you could even delete all of the PNGs from the drawble-hdpi folder at this stage, and it would replace everything deleted from the keep folder with the projects folder files that isn't found in the keep folder...

....then finish recompiling...

one other thing of note, some ROMs don't like highly compressed APKs, so you can set the compression for APKMgr to 0, or unzip the unsignedframework-res.apk and rezip it as store and renaming to framework-res.apk

let me know if I didn't explain something properly enough...cheers and good luck

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The other alternative would be to decompile the custom framework and then manually dragging all of the broken .9.pngs (which are renamed to regular .pngs when decompiled) into draw9patch and recreating the guides....then saving them back into the projects folder/drawable-hdpi or drawable-land-hdpi.....