Battery issues

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Going to throw in a third recommendation for using the charging cable that came with your phone, there is a reason they give you a new one when you get the phone. Unlike men, not all chargers are created equal.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
TisMyDroid said:
Eww, Sorry loudram, I didn't mean to repeat what you already posted. Yours wasn't there when I started mine but you said it much simpler than I did.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

No worries, it's all good.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

Tankwylde

Reaction score
Having difficulty charging my battery. The car charger that came with the phone no longer charges it and the wall charger takes 5 hours with the power off to go from 8% to 65%. Sometimes when I try the car charger the s4 says to use the original charger, but I am. Any help would be highly appreciated

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I suggest pulling the battery out for a few minutes. If that doesn't help you may want to look at getting the battery replaced. If you call Samsung you may get a free replacement as they had a bad batch of batteries in some S4s.

GVLBob

Reaction score
I would install Galaxy Charging current and determine the charging current when the phone is connected to the wall charger or the car charger.

Tankwylde

Reaction score
Installed Galaxy Charging current. Doesn't read the car charger at all. Will have to see what my wall charger shows after work. Did the battery pull and no change.

Tankwylde

Reaction score
Just curious... what version of the S4 came with a car charger?
I guess "came with" was incorrect. I have the 16 gig Verizon version. When I bought the phone I purchased the accessory kit that included an otterbox defender case, car charger, and screen protectors.

GVLBob

Reaction score
Some S4s have had problems with car chargers after the upgrade to Android 4.3. You may also have a problem with the charger cord for the car charger. A reading of "-" on the app sounds like a cable problem.

My car charger (which is a special one) and my wall charger both show 1200 when charging. Hooking the USB cable to my computer produces a 400 reading on the app.

Tankwylde

Reaction score
Some S4s have had problems with car chargers after the upgrade to Android 4.3. You may also have a problem with the charger cord for the car charger. A reading of "-" on the app sounds like a cable problem.

My car charger (which is a special one) and my wall charger both show 1200 when charging. Hooking the USB cable to my computer produces a 400 reading on the app.
I would agree with the theory that the car charger is damaged, except my wife's Note2 charges perfectly fine.

Tankwylde

Reaction score
Went to verizon. The charging port had a short. Sending me a new one tomorrow.

mcraeh

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

In the last month or two, I have noticed that my battery is draining much faster than it used to. First thing I did was the calibration thing, charging it from 10% with it turned off, twice in a row. That has helped in the past, but not so this time. I haven't installed anything new lately, and in fact, the other day, I didn't even look at my phone all day, didn't make a call, but when I went to use it for the first time at 6pm, it was at 40% of the battery, which is really unusual. I take if off the charger at 6am and by the time I go to bed at 10pm, it is at 5% unless I find a charger before then. So I looked at the battery statistics, and Android OS is the biggest user by far. I don't recall any OS updates recently, and I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Or is it just that my phone is 1 1/2 years old now and Motorola does that on purpose to have me so frustrated with it when my upgrade is due that I'll be sure to buy the latest and greatest? I also have issues with it being pretty slow, but really all I do on it is email, text, and calls. I can get around the lag by rebooting it, but the battery issue is pretty constant.

Thanks!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hello and welcome..imho you should reboot the phone,go to the google play store and download gsam battery monitor. Run it for a few days and see what it shows in app sucker.

But first..your solution could be simple...in the droid command center(clock, weather, battery percentage) tap the battery percentage..see what apps or processes it shows as using the most battery..

Facebook, chrome, media, twitter, your screen..these are my top drains...force stop them..

Screen brightness, color of your wallpaper(white sucks down battery bad) adjust these..

How's your signal?? Cell service isn't like a light bulb..meaning it works or doesn't..it can still be present but have a poor signal and drain battery even more than normal..

Try these suggestions out and get back to us...REBOOT ..thats a definite. :cool:

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

mcraeh

Reaction score
Thanks, I don't have gsam, but in the battery section under settings, it says that "Android OS" is the number one hog, by far. I've had the phone unplugged for 6.5 hours, and Android OS is at 66% of battery usage. Next closest is the screen, at 10. Everything else is well below that. I do reboot it at least once a week, but lately it's been more like every other day or so. I really don't want to FDR, but I suppose I will if I have to. I guess in the meantime I'll download this gsam thing and see what it says.

Thanks!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
No problem..I suspect it will show the kernel as your battery vampire..

Try going into settings, storage, tap cache and select clear...this could help..I'm thinking doing it through the recovery menu would yield better results...get back to us..we'll walk ya through it.

MAXXED OUT!!!!!