Does the DX2 kernel have unauthorized tether monitor ?

Well I turned on the hotspot wifi, named the connection and made password for it.

Connected to it with my laptop and it brought me to a verizon page saying I need to sign up for the hotspot.

Tried getting the tether going but didnt really seem to work. I saw that its for windows Vista and later and my laptop is XP.

From another thread, but it is fitting.

Hi Guys,

I have been reading this post with some interest, but I have to say that it blows me away.

Is Verizon overcharging us? Yes!
Should we have to pay extra to connect our Droid X to our laptops? No!

However, the bottom line is this is stealing plain and simple, but people seem to dismiss it out of hand like it's not a big deal. When we signed up with our carrier we agreed to be bound by the terms of that agreement.

We as people of this world complain, gripe and moan when the oil companies gouge us at the pump and make billions in profits every year. When corporate executives take home multimillion dollar bonuses every quarter but don't pay their workers a fare wage. We complain about all the banks and mortgage companies that caused the housing crisis by stealing billions and almost causing a second great depression.

But really how different is what is being suggested here. Yes it’s on a much smaller scale, but how is it any less wrong than what these organizations have done to us.

We as individuals are the lowest common dominators in this world’s moral compass. We ask ourselves what’s wrong with this world and decry all the horrible things that are done and tolerated, but we as individuals are the basic building blocks of society, if we build a building, (our world wide society) with faulty building materials, (individuals of this world who compromise their ethics and morals), how can we complain if the building comes crashing down? If we can justify stealing a little, how dare we complain and judge those who steal a lot!

How would you feel if your neighbor tapped into your electric meter, just to run his home theater system? Hey it’s only a few bucks a month, less than a Starbucks – no big deal right? Or someone piggy backed off your WiFi without your permission, what’s it costing you? Or someone came into your garage and borrowed you lawn mower without telling you or asking?

Would we be OK with that? No way, we would be on the phone to the electric company and/or the police in a heartbeat.

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I just felt like I had to say something.

There is an old saying that I believe that goes like this:

The person faithful in what is least is faithful also in much, and the person unrighteous in what is least is unrighteous also in much.

Are we not unrighteous in much, just becuase we haven't had the opportunity???

Cheers,

Brian

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

The difference is that Verizon (power company to use your analogy) is telling us that we pay for electric service, but we can't use that new fridge we just bought. You need to pay more per month to plug that into the wall. Data is data.

The difference is that Verizon (power company to use your analogy) is telling us that we pay for electric service, but we can't use that new fridge we just bought. You need to pay more per month to plug that into the wall. Data is data.

First, I did not write it I quoted it. Second, no its not. Did you sign your contract? Yes, or you wouldn't have service. Did your contract outline the rules of use on the data? Yes. So are you stealing, yes. No matter how you look at it, your "data is data" is wrong.

First, I did not write it I quoted it. Second, no its not. Did you sign your contract? Yes, or you wouldn't have service. Did your contract outline the rules of use on the data? Yes. So are you stealing, yes. No matter how you look at it, your "data is data" is wrong.

You are stealing.. You are stealing the data you have already paid for, but stealing.. It confuses me too..

LOTS of ways to look at it..

Think about if you paid for water that you are allowed to drink, but you would have to pay a special fee if you wanted to wash your clothes with it..

Imagine if you had unlimited cable internet, but if you wanted access to Google, you'd have to pay a special fee.. If you wanted to use your service for YouTube, you pay another fee.. Now you have UNLIMITED internet, as long as you go where they tell you that you have access to.. AND this fee is going to your cable provider for the DATA, not to Google or YouTube as a service fee.. But paying for the data only that is already paid for.. If the website charged a fee that would be extra still..

It's a very bad sign of thing to come..

Last edited:
the difference is that verizon (power company to use your analogy) is telling us that we pay for electric service, but we can't use that new fridge we just bought. You need to pay more per month to plug that into the wall. Data is data.

first, i did not write it i quoted it. Second, no its not. Did you sign your contract? Yes, or you wouldn't have service. Did your contract outline the rules of use on the data? Yes. So are you stealing, yes. No matter how you look at it, your "data is data" is wrong.

you are stealing.. You are stealing the data you have already paid for, but stealing.. It confuses me too..

Lots of ways to look at it..

Think about if you paid for water that you are allowed to drink, but you would have to pay a special fee if you wanted to wash your clothes with it..

Imagine if you had unlimited cable internet, but if you wanted access to google, you'd have to pay a special fee.. If you wanted to use your service for youtube, you pay another fee.. Now you have unlimited internet, as long as you go where they tell you that you have access to.. And this fee is going to your cable provider for the data, not to google or youtube as a service fee.. But paying for the data only that is already paid for.. If the website charged a fee that would be extra still..

exactly!!!!!

Hi Guys,

I have been reading this post with some interest, but I have to say that it blows me away.

However, the bottom line is this is stealing plain and simple, but people seem to dismiss it out of hand like it's not a big deal. When we signed up with our carrier we agreed to be bound by the terms of that agreement.

We as people of this world complain, gripe and moan when the oil companies gouge us at the pump and make billions in profits every year. When corporate executives take home multimillion dollar bonuses every quarter but don't pay their workers a fare wage. We complain about all the banks and mortgage companies that caused the housing crisis by stealing billions and almost causing a second great depression.

But really how different is what is being suggested here. Yes it’s on a much smaller scale, but how is it any less wrong than what these organizations have done to us.

We as individuals are the lowest common dominators in this world’s moral compass. We ask ourselves what’s wrong with this world and decry all the horrible things that are done and tolerated, but we as individuals are the basic building blocks of society, if we build a building, (our world wide society) with faulty building materials, (individuals of this world who compromise their ethics and morals), how can we complain if the building comes crashing down? If we can justify stealing a little, how dare we complain and judge those who steal a lot!

How would you feel if your neighbor tapped into your electric meter, just to run his home theater system? Hey it’s only a few bucks a month, less than a Starbucks – no big deal right? Or someone piggy backed off your WiFi without your permission, what’s it costing you? Or someone came into your garage and borrowed you lawn mower without telling you or asking?

Would we be OK with that? No way, we would be on the phone to the electric company and/or the police in a heartbeat.

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I just felt like I had to say something.

The person faithful in what is least is faithful also in much, and the person unrighteous in what is least is unrighteous also in much.

Cheers,

Brian

the difference is that you agreed and signed off on VZWs agreement
If you signed an agreement with your power company that stated that you could not use a fridge, well.... Then you'd be in violation.... Noone made you sign VZWs contract, you did that willingly...

Well the difference is that this is technology and invisible data connections. Not running water or electricity. Its clear wireless data is becoming more of a necessary resource as opposed to a convenience. But is more versatile than running water.
Remember that the more people that are sucking up data all the time, make it harder for verizon to support regular users on their towers.
Towers have a maximum capacity, so if being able to teather is gonna cause you to use 3 times as much data youre hogging airspace for light to moderate data users. Thus making it harder for verizon to support its 60 million some odd customers on their towers.
This causes verizon to put up more towers in areas where they already have coverage to support data hogs. Which costs money. Alot of money.
Im not bashing the idea that we already pay for data access and should be able to use it the way we see fit. But my point is that the more reasons we give verizon to put up more towers, the more reasons they are gonna have to charge us for it.

Peace to LA

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Well the difference is that this is technology and invisible data connections. Not running water or electricity. Its clear wireless data is becoming more of a necessary resource as opposed to a convenience. But is more versatile than running water.
Remember that the more people that are sucking up data all the time, make it harder for verizon to support regular users on their towers.
Towers have a maximum capacity, so if being able to teather is gonna cause you to use 3 times as much data youre hogging airspace for light to moderate data users. Thus making it harder for verizon to support its 99.7 million some odd customers on their towers.
This causes verizon to put up more towers in areas where they already have coverage to support data hogs. Which costs money. Alot of money.
Im not bashing the idea that we already pay for data access and should be able to use it the way we see fit. But my point is that the more reasons we give verizon to put up more towers, the more reasons they are gonna have to charge us for it.

Peace to LA

Finally someone with some brains. Where these guys think the data comes from and how it is supported is beyond me. Oh, and fixed your customer count :)

I tether hard. I don't care, I hope they put a tower in the lot beside me. I will download 14 gig bluray rips of avatar. I run with 10 gangs.

You are stealing.. You are stealing the data you have already paid for, but stealing.. It confuses me too..

LOTS of ways to look at it..

Imagine if you had unlimited cable internet, but if you wanted access to Google, you'd have to pay a special fee.. If you wanted to use your service for YouTube, you pay another fee.. Now you have UNLIMITED internet, as long as you go where they tell you that you have access to.. AND this fee is going to your cable provider for the DATA, not to Google or YouTube as a service fee.. But paying for the data only that is already paid for.. If the website charged a fee that would be extra still..

How people don't see the foolishness in their analogies is beyond me. Does vzw block access to specific websites? Just curious. On your phone when you fire up your browser and type in google does it tell you you need a tethering plan? I mean I know you ppl are reaching but at least try to make a relevant analogy...it's sad how much you guys lie to yourself.

Towers have a maximum capacity, so if being able to teather is gonna cause you to use 3 times as much data youre hogging airspace for light to moderate data users. Thus making it harder for verizon to support its 99.7 million some odd customers on their towers.

Peace to LA

Finally someone with some brains. Where these guys think the data comes from and how it is supported is beyond me. Oh, and fixed your customer count :)

But "tethering" doesn't make you a data hog.. If anything I would be considered a data hog and it's legal.. I move gigs of videos and other large zip files almost daily.

If they wanted to limit data hogs then get rid of "Unlimited" or charge more..

Anyway just saying, (as i look over at my droid 2.6 gigs through a 3 gig transfer on 3g.. d=-P).. Hurry up darnit!! Another hour or so..

Last edited:

Hi Guys,

Cheers,

Brian

Brian,

I know that I am coming into this late, but after reading your post I am kind of confused. I don't think anyone was happy getting ripped at the pump or with the corporate retiring packages. But what can be done about it. You pay for a service and unlimited package for your phone and then pay additional to use it as a hotspot. At what point is greed working out of the picture. I feel the phone services, gas/insurance/mortages should be governed.

It is not right that a person should have to decide to quit his job because gas is 3.50 a gallon and his family suffers because it the cost of gas are to high. Borrowing your lawn mower?? Live in a good subdivision and when that does happen its returned with a full tank and possible clean. Stealing electricity your out there on this one. Verizon put the tools out there then took them away because they saw the revenue potential. If I ran a wire to my neighbors house and dropped it in his yard he could only assume that it is ok to use it I would.

You must work for Verizon, or have that big retirement package based on the backs of many.

Hi Guys,

Cheers,

Brian

Brian,

I know that I am coming into this late, but after reading your post I am kind of confused. I don't think anyone was happy getting ripped at the pump or with the corporate retiring packages. But what can be done about it. You pay for a service and unlimited package for your phone and then pay additional to use it as a hotspot. At what point is greed working out of the picture. I feel the phone services, gas/insurance/mortages should be governed.

It is not right that a person should have to decide to quit his job because gas is 3.50 a gallon and his family suffers because it the cost of gas are to high. Borrowing your lawn mower?? Live in a good subdivision and when that does happen its returned with a full tank and possible clean. Stealing electricity your out there on this one. Verizon put the tools out there then took them away because they saw the revenue potential. If I ran a wire to my neighbors house and dropped it in his yard he could only assume that it is ok to use it I would.

You must work for Verizon, or have that big retirement package based on the backs of many.

you had it right when you said you pay unlimited data for your phone, but then you went off on an incorrect tangent. if someone can show me where they didn't tether and then were charged overages for data, then you guys have a point. until then you guys are just reaching. verizon will not and can not charge you overages or tell you how much data to use if you use it on your phone. it's unlimited data. no one has ever been charged extra for using data on their phone, and in fact no one has ever been charged extra for illegally tethering either. yet, people still try to justify stealing and make verizon out to be some dictatorship whose goal is to destroy the little man. it's sad.

Try this scenario: I use my phone to download bits of data from the Internet. The phone sends those bits to a program. The programs to send the bits to my computer. Sometimes I use a wireless connection, sometimes I use a USB cable... but in both cases, the bits end up on my computer. I use my computer to send bits to my phone over those same USB or wireless connections. The program on my phone takes those bits and sends them back to the Internet.

Question: Am I tethering?

If you said yes, you are wrong... all I did was download a file, mount my SDCard and copy it to my computer. Then I copied some other files to my phone and uploaded them to my Dropbox.

What's the difference between what I just described and tethering? Time and the program you're using to do it. There is nothing in the contract about what programs you're allowed to use (except maybe malicious programs). So that leaves time. How quickly does the transfer have to happen before it's considered tethering? If VZW truly cracked down on tethering and it went to court, they'd lose... and they know it. That's exactly why nobody's been sued.

Back