Verizon Wireless Blocks The Updating Of Apps They Feel Are Unauthorized

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because you can't walk out your door and spread your wireless ISP to the world. That's the difference. And at $30, it's not priced to be an ISP like you want to use it. For another $30, low and behold, it IS and then you CAN use it as an ISP (though it appears you will be throttled, but $60 for an ISP plus mobile internet that would still be quite a deal, which is probably why the trade-off with throttling).

I was paying $50 for home broadband plus $30 for my mobile "unlimited" plan. I'm at a loss at how you expect to get the same from your $30 mobile plan. That's not the agreement nor is it priced for such use.

1) Nobody said to not have any restrictions. Restrict bandwidth. If they think that 10GB is an "Acceptable and approved amount", fine, but let me decide how I want to use it. If they say, "You can eat this much of this food", it shouldn't matter if I use a spoon or chop-sticks to eat that amount of food that they said I could eat.

2) Yes, it is mobile not a landline. What's the difference apart from marketing and perception? I am paying for internet service via their network. Just because as I walk around and am still in their network doesn't change anything. Or should we apply that standard to ISP's? You pay for internet and wherever that DSL lint terminates in your house is where you must use it? If I hook up a router and move from room to room or the back yard, can they consider me now "sharing" and "using it mobile" and no longer landline and charge me more?

I have no problems with teirs. I have no problems with limiting, as THAT is the abuse. Tethering and using 500mb a month is not abuse or "stressing the network"... The guy why doesn't tether but watched Netflix 6 hours a day on his phone and uses 13GB a month, is. So go after that guy.

I refuse to believe that you don't know the difference between wifi and mobile broadband haha. So we'll leave that argument at that.

Now to the silly food analogies again. Why do the buffet people always leave out the part where you were told about the extra charges for using the chopsticks? And the part where you agreed to those extra charges? Like I said, you guys did this for 2 years because verizon didn't stop you. Now that they have, the only thing you have left is rehashing the same flawed food analogies here over and over again.

We pay $75 a month for a cable model or DSL and we plug it into a router and share it with different devices. Now if I run torrents 24/7 and suck up 2TB a month, then I expect a letter in the mail from Comcast, but that is because I abused the data, not because I had 3 PC's on my router...

Cable Internet Service providers do throttle bandwidth too.
I switched to different online backup services, and each time I switched, I have to back up over 100GB all over again, before daily incremental backups can occur. ISP detects I am uploading way too much data per day for many days in a row to upload all my 100GB, and starts REDUCING my bandwidth after the 2nd or 3rd day so the upload rate decreases! They have even disconnected my internet connection after a few more days of these massive uploads, and I had to reboot my cable modem to regain service.
Maybe my ISP thinks I am running a small data center at home, or something.

All the things they do to bandwidth hogs these days :^)

I wonder what Verizon would do if I tried to tether and do my full online backup of 100GB using my "unlimited" data plan :)

For the record:
HP's Upline stopped offering unlimited online backup services and shut down completely.
EMC's Mozy stopped offering unlimited backup for a fixed monthly fee; new pricing not economical after 50GB for me.

Do we see a pattern for "unlimited" things here yet?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

On top of that, a few ISP providers have come out with caps @ 200-250gigs a month.

Operators had plenty of bandwidth, that is until the explosion of HD video from places like Netflix, Hulu and others...along with torrents. People are trying to drop $80 or more cable service and then whining when the ISP decides to block or charge for a service they never intended to offer for free. No different than any other business - when usage patterns change or supply/demand changes, you make adjustments to your pricing model or service.

Can't wait till VZW starts charging $200 a month and gives you less than you are getting today, because based on your posts, you will not only not mind it, you will approve of it as a smart business move.

On top of that, a few ISP providers have come out with caps @ 200-250gigs a month.

Operators had plenty of bandwidth, that is until the explosion of HD video from places like Netflix, Hulu and others...along with torrents. People are trying to drop $80 or more cable service and then whining when the ISP decides to block or charge for a service they never intended to offer for free. No different than any other business - when usage patterns change or supply/demand changes, you make adjustments to your pricing model or service.

How many times do I have to say it? Am I not being clear? Were the words too big?

We are not talking about how much bandwidth is being used. I can use 5% of the bandwidth that THEY say I am entitled to, but if I view it on my laptop then it is illegal according to them, and is somehow worse than the guy that doesn't tether but uses up 200% of the bandwidth that he paid for and VZW said he is entitled to.

The argument originally from VZW was that tethering steals bandwidth and slows down the network because of all the data.

So go after people for using too much data. Don't charge me $130 for all you can eat, and when I only take one mouthful of food, charge me another $20 because I ate that one mouthful with a spoon instead of a fork.

Morons...

How many times do I have to say it? Am I not being clear? Were the words too big?.

I don't care if you use 100kbs or 1000 gigs, you ARE NOT PAYING FOR THE SERVICE. Why is that so incredibly difficult to comprehend? If you don't like it, you are entirely free to take your business elsewhere. Your rationalizations and justifications, weak as they are, don't mater.

Can't wait till VZW starts charging $200 a month and gives you less than you are getting today, because based on your posts, you will not only not mind it, you will approve of it as a smart business move.

LOL, hardly, if I don't think it's a good price or someone offers better value, I'll take my business elsewhere. It's a difficult concept to grasp, I know.

I don't care if you use 100kbs or 1000 gigs, you ARE NOT PAYING FOR THE SERVICE. Why is that so incredibly difficult to comprehend? If you don't like it, you are entirely free to take your business elsewhere.

So if VZW said that using the letter "A" was a separate service that you have to pay extra for, as long as they put it into the contract, even after you signed it, that is ok?

They say it is a service, when the OS supports it natively, for the sole purpose of double-charging you for the same data.

If you cannot see past that, you are either blind, or you work for them.

So if VZW said that using the letter "A" was a separate service that you have to pay extra for, as long as they put it into the contract, even after you signed it, that is ok?

They say it is a service, when the OS supports it natively, for the sole purpose of double-charging you for the same data.

No, they aren't double-charging you anything. They sell you mobile data on a single device, not data to do with as you please. If you want something more, they have a tethering plan. This has never been confusing or some sort of hidden fee.

And, um, no they didn't put this in the contract after you signed it. It WAS IN the contract you signed. Learn to read contracts and maybe you won't sign something you don't like to have to live with.

I think your arguments are honestly getting more and more ridiculous. Charging for the letter "A" is not anywhere remotely close to charging for tethering. As already said, if you don't like something why in the world are you using their service? You have failed to answer that simple question. Rather, you are attacking people who don't feel ripped off and are happy with the service they're being provided.

I don't think the people who are following the contract they signed are the morons...I think the people who sign a contract, then whine about the terms are the morons. You feel you're being ripped off, you have the option to leave, and yet you're continuing to pay the company that's ripping you off. How you don't grasp the foolishness of this situation is beyond me.

...and yet you're continuing to pay the company that's ripping you off.

You know that answer. It's not that they are being ripped-off, it's that they want to rip-off VZW because they know full well that unlimited LTE with tether has an $80+ value (for comparable service) and insist on being entitled to pay only $30.

You know that answer. It's not that they are being ripped-off, it's that they want to rip-off VZW because they know full well that unlimited LTE with tether has an $80+ value (for comparable service) and insist on being entitled to pay only $30.

Right and in order to do that they pay VZW $1200+ a year...the irony. That's not what "voting with your wallet" means...haha

But it isn't unlimited, you said so yourself.

I use on average, 500mb a month on my unlimited plan that I pay top dollar. And yet we all know people who use 10x that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back