Droid Razr Maxx HD waiting lounge.

If you use LTE that much the difference in the LTE radio chipset should make up the battery difference for you. I have two co-workers who have GSIII's and they are getting very good battery life - a long day with lots of use sometimes ending up with 50% left at bedtime.

Yeah my buddy said he was easily getting a day or two on his s3 and his girl was getting 2-3 days. I would always be on 4G here in orlando so while I'm a little disappointed about the battery size I bet it will be on par with the maxx. Or at least close.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

pc747 said:
If i had a maxx i would pass. I don't think it's that much of a jump. I compare it to the jump from iphone 4 to iphone 4s. If you have a bionic, droidx, droid 2, etc it's worth the jump.

sent from galaxy nexus running jellybean. Are you running jellybean yet?

I really don't get why everyone thanks the MAXX is better then the Bionic? I have extended battery, im on a ICS leak that's actually better then the official one for the MAXX, no data drops, upgraded 1.2 CPU and I actually like the Bionics screen better especially in sunlight. To me at this point the MAXX ain't got nothing on the Bionic.

Now before ICS that was a different story but I have to disagree on the Bionic now, with my $50 laptop dock its rockin man.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

I really don't get why everyone thanks the MAXX is better then the Bionic? I have extended battery, im on a ICS leak that's actually better then the official one for the MAXX, no data drops, upgraded 1.2 CPU and I actually like the Bionics screen better especially in sunlight. To me at this point the MAXX ain't got nothing on the Bionic.

Now before ICS that was a different story but I have to disagree on the Bionic now, with my $50 laptop dock its rockin man.

Remember, better is subjective... one mans trash...

As far as things this device brings to the table... the UI will be different I'm sure.. if its no jb, it will show a lot of jb in it... the ATRIX that was just released was awesome for what it is... an entry level device... that will compete with the one x.... that's pretty impressive IMHO. Let's just see what this unicorn has to offer :)

94lt1 said:
Remember, better is subjective... one mans trash...

As far as things this device brings to the table... the UI will be different I'm sure.. if its no jb, it will show a lot of jb in it... the ATRIX that was just released was awesome for what it is... an entry level device... that will compete with the one x.... that's pretty impressive IMHO. Let's just see what this unicorn has to offer :)

I understand that but I don't thank a lot of people know that the Bionic on ICS has made it feel like a whole new phone and when u compare it to the MAXX (opinions aside) they both do the same thing indetically. The MAXX is thinner but I can change my battery, when it comes to facts there's virtually no difference now. But regardless it comes down to opinion. Just for a older phone, first dual core LTE, its hanging n there.

As far as the atrix, for 50 bucks through best buy or amazon and it put down numbers compared to S3 or One X, that's impressive, I just hope the Razr HD ups it even a notch more.

Correct me if i am wrong but i thought the OLED uses less battery than the lcd
It was supposed to used less power than LCD but it's never really seemed to live up to that unless you set all your themes and backgrounds to be dark or black - then maybe. I think that's why almost all OLED displays are PenTile - that helps save power.

This is just my take. If someone has real numbers that show power usage comparing LCD, SuperLCD, NOVA LCD, IPS LCD, SuperLCD2, OLED, AMOLED, SuperAMOLED, SuperAMOLED Advanced, SuperAMOLED Plus, that would be great!

hotice said:
It was supposed to used less power than LCD but it's never really seemed to live up to that unless you set all your themes and backgrounds to be dark or black - then maybe. I think that's why almost all OLED displays are PenTile - that helps save power.

This is just my take. If someone has real numbers that show power usage comparing LCD, SuperLCD, NOVA LCD, IPS LCD, SuperLCD2, OLED, AMOLED, SuperAMOLED, SuperAMOLED Advanced, SuperAMOLED Plus, that would be great!

Well I thought for sure LED TVs use way less power then a LCD. So why wouldn't they in phones?

If i had a maxx i would pass. I don't think it's that much of a jump. I compare it to the jump from iphone 4 to iphone 4s. If you have a bionic, droidx, droid 2, etc it's worth the jump.
I agree! I think the Maxx is a great device...I'm still using a Droid X.

I'd agree with you! I usually prefer LCD to OLED displays and that's really the only difference now it seems. I'm thinking the bionic with the extended battery may be a little bigger than the Maxx but your battery is removable.

Well I thought for sure LED TVs use way less power then a LCD. So why wouldn't they in phones?

Dude, totally different!!! An "LED" TV is an LCD screen that uses an LED back-light (or many). The LCD TV is a LCD screen that uses a cold cathode back-light. The only difference is the back-light.

OrganicLED displays are completely different. There is no back-light. Each pixel produces its own light.
And yes, an LED light takes less power than a Cold Cathode florecent light. That's why the "LED TV" takes less power than the "LCD TV". Uggg...I hate that naming. They are both LCD TV's.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by FoxKat
The question I have is will it really benefit from 2GB of ram? From what I understand the additional ram may provide minimal if any performance improvement, and may do little to help with multitasking, but the additional battery drain from refreshing that additional 1GB may be considerable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Where did you hear that from? My S3 gets a lot better battery life than my nexus with the extended battery life which is a 2100 may battery. And before you say that the S3 has the S4 chip don't you think if the extra 1 gig of ram made a considerable difference on the battery it would cancell each other out. And please tell me how the extra 1gig of ram affects the battery I am still confused on that theory.

Extra ram will help in two ways...first, if you are frequently moving back and forth from several different larger applications, by having the ability to retain in cache the program and data for all those applications. Android is designed to take advantage of all available ram and reserve a portion (minram), for active applications. Once the available ram dips below minimums, Android flushes out the oldest remaining application, but retains the state of the application (specific data), so that if you do go back to it, the only thing it has to do is re-load the program, re-populate the data and you're back where you left off.

Second, extra ram will allow the newest giant programs to run without issue, such as Gameloft games. At this point, I don't think a great percentage of users are using the Gameloft games, so the real need for such additional ram is questionable. As games and other applications get bigger and bigger, this will of course change. My home PC has 8GB of ram and at times, I see it lagging...but of course I am running Word, Excel, Outlook, two browsers - each with a dozen or more pages open (which is not too different than having a dozen instances of the browser running at the same time), and other sundry background applications such as Motocast, Box, Dropbox, Jamcast, Printer server, etc. Until the phones are reaching that level of multi-tasking, they won't require 8GB of ram.

I suppose essentially what I am trying to say is that since Android is designed to use all available ram, adding ram only increases the number and size of applications it will run and retain active, but once that number or size approaches the maximum available ram, the same lag issues will surface. As there is more ram to work with, developers may concentrate less on keeping programs streamlined and svelte to run more efficiently, and instead may see the larger playing field as additional room to spread out and relax, potentially resulting in more fluff (such as comments in the code), and additional "window dressing" i.e. quantity versus quality. It's the old adage, "give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile". If we expand the ram sizes the programs will expand accordingly and it becomes a race, neck and neck to see who can get larger. I am an advocate of slow and careful growth results in a more stable platform.

Finally, power consumption may go up with a larger ram to refresh, but there's the flipside that power consumption could actually go down due to a lack of need to swap out old for new programs as we bounce back and forth between our browser, email, facebook, weather application, DroidForums.net app, music and video apps, etc. The less swapping of data from the SD Cards to the RAM, the less power consumption. This all depends on how intensive we multi-task. The battle will be there, it's just a question of which side will win.

Last edited:
I understand that but I don't thank a lot of people know that the Bionic on ICS has made it feel like a whole new phone and when u compare it to the MAXX (opinions aside) they both do the same thing indetically. The MAXX is thinner but I can change my battery, when it comes to facts there's virtually no difference now. But regardless it comes down to opinion. Just for a older phone, first dual core LTE, its hanging n there.

As far as the atrix, for 50 bucks through best buy or amazon and it put down numbers compared to S3 or One X, that's impressive, I just hope the Razr HD ups it even a notch more.

Agreed :)

Dude, totally different!!! An "LED" TV is an LCD screen that uses an LED back-light (or many). The LCD TV is a LCD screen that uses a cold cathode back-light. The only difference is the back-light.

OrganicLED displays are completely different. There is no back-light. Each pixel produces its own light.
And yes, an LED light takes less power than a Cold Cathode florecent light. That's why the "LED TV" takes less power than the "LCD TV". Uggg...I hate that naming. They are both LCD TV's.

Actually, let's clarify...

LED (Light Emitting Diode) displays produce their own light by the physical pixels (each comprised of individual sub-pixels of Red, Blue & Green LEDs in a tiny array). The colors produced are a mix of the directly radiated light from those three individual sub-pixels (RGB). They need NO backlighting, neither LED nor Cold Cathode Fluorescent.

LCD (Liquid Crystal Display), is a back-lit display technology that uses a light-blocking technology where the individual crystals suspended in a fluid between two glass plates will spin or twist either parallel to the screen's surface or perpendicular to it, either resulting in the light being blocked from behind or allowed through. There are then three transparent layers of color mask placed either in between the LCD and the light source (either LED or Cold Cathode Fluorescent), or in front. The colors are created by mixing the light allowed through by the activated or deactivated crystals over each pixel and sub-pixel, to form the spectrum of colors.

OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) displays are simply a variation on the LED display mentioned above, but with some major improvement in several areas such as brighness, color saturation, resolution, speed of refresh, flexibility (newest technology), and power consumption (less).

Last edited:
Im glad this thread picked up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

So it shall be interesting to see this device and try it...

OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) displays are simply a variation on the LED display mentioned above, but with some major improvement in several areas such as brighness, color saturation, resolution, speed of refresh, flexibility (newest technology), and power consumption (less).
Hmmm, LCD display's are TFT as well these days. Back in the day you either had passive matrix, dual-scan passive matirx, or active matrix (Thin Film Transistor). Today LCD and LED are both TFT/Active Matrix displays, right? I thought there was an LED backlight(s) behind the LED panel in an "LED TV" or most LCD phones for that matter. Some are back lit, some from the side. Is that totally wrong? I was pretty sure that the panel's in LED tv's don't have per-pixel lighting. I thought we were dealing with the same screen on both type of display.

So are you saying the OLED displays use less power than LED displays? I know that was an early claim but it seems that's usually not the case just based on devices I'm familiar with. The only time they use less power is when the display is mostly black or displaying dark colors maybe. That's what it seems. Do you have any numbers to compare them? I'm guessing that PenTile OLED displays come down close to the power consumption, or maybe a little better, than current LCD displays. That would explain why it seems like so many OLED displays are pentile now.

Back