Droid update this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we get this on Friday. But even more than that I really hope Motorola and even Google contiue to support this phone. IPhone is much more slick IMO but it has been out for years. I look forward to the day when I can show off my droid without lags, forced closes, camera taking crappy pictures five seconds after I push the button, and apps just straight up not working. I know that's part of being a Droid owner right now. I think it's unexcuseable but that is for another thread. With these updates I hope that this phone will continue to get better. Because I am not the kind that can run out and get the newest phone every time one comes out. I'll have this Droid until Jan 2012.

Why would they not support this phone? If they stopped many people who own this phone would probably never purchase another Moto cell phone or Google phone for fear of the same thing happening.

I hope we get this on Friday. But even more than that I really hope Motorola and even Google contiue to support this phone. IPhone is much more slick IMO but it has been out for years. I look forward to the day when I can show off my droid without lags, forced closes, camera taking crappy pictures five seconds after I push the button, and apps just straight up not working. I know that's part of being a Droid owner right now. I think it's unexcuseable but that is for another thread. With these updates I hope that this phone will continue to get better. Because I am not the kind that can run out and get the newest phone every time one comes out. I'll have this Droid until Jan 2012.
If Google/Moto made an OS like apple then there probably wouldn't be force closes and whatnot. You wouldn't be able to change your virtual keyboard, replace your home app, use different media players, etc. With openness comes more room for issues. You have small bugs but can do so much more. Also, the iPhone hasn't been perfect. I still don't see how they JUST got the ability to send picture messages a few months ago, that blows my mind. Anyway yeah, thats another thread.

We have already received 1 update and another one is coming soon, how are you complaining or worried? 2 updates (and not because of super issues that NEEDED to be fixed, mostly adding features and tweaking looks) in less than 4 months sounds nice to me.

well it doesn't make sense to me.... Unless the second half is also going to be a very big download, I'm not sure what the need is.

Are they saying we have to have the maintenance update "before" the 2.1 update will apply?
why not just alter the 2.1 update to work?

Tooooo strange....

Why not do it all in one event?.... Just Git er Done!

Not sure. Some think the "maintenance patch" is just part of 2.1 so that we don't get it in one huge file, others think the patch actually modifies the phone so its ready for 2.1. Not sure which is correct since no one has found any differences besides facebook being installable via the market lol

I look forward to the day when I can show off my droid without lags, forced closes, camera taking crappy pictures five seconds after I push the button, and apps just straight up not working. I know that's part of being a Droid owner right now. I think it's unexcuseable but that is for another thread.

Statements like that get me thinking.... I don't have any of those symptoms you describe and I read some people report lags, stuttering etc and I don't know if its because of what they are running "OR" secretly, some got a bad 2.0.1 update?

Maybe the maintenance update is to ensure that everyone has a solid 2.0.1 before the 2.1 is applied?

I installed mine manually... I'm not sure there is any relation at all to those whole installed manually verses OTA concerning those who are unhappy with the performance verses those not.

Mine works almost flawless.... I've pulled the battery one time and thats because I deserved it... I plugged and unplugged the usb without properly dismounting it first while winamp was attached to one of my onboard mp3 files... it pissed it off pretty good! LOL!

Statements like that get me thinking.... I don't have any of those symptoms you describe and I read some people report lags, stuttering etc and I don't know if its because of what they are running "OR" secretly, some got a bad 2.0.1 update?

Maybe the maintenance update is to ensure that everyone has a solid 2.0.1 before the 2.1 is applied?

I installed mine manually... I'm not sure there is any relation at all to those whole installed manually verses OTA concerning those who are unhappy with the performance verses those not.

Mine works almost flawless.... I've pulled the battery one time and thats because I deserved it... I plugged and unplugged the usb without properly dismounting it first while winamp was attached to one of my onboard mp3 files... it pissed it off pretty good! LOL!
I agree. In some screwy apps I'll get FCs but with normal daily use I rarely see them. The camera works great in my opinion also. I've had several resets and battery pulls but that was because I was screwing with stuff I shouldn't have hahaha so that is expected.

Your Droid is going to kill you in your sleep if you unplug it like that again :icon_eek:

well it doesn't make sense to me.... Unless the second half is also going to be a very big download, I'm not sure what the need is.

Are they saying we have to have the maintenance update "before" the 2.1 update will apply?
why not just alter the 2.1 update to work?

Tooooo strange....

Why not do it all in one event?.... Just Git er Done!

It actually makes pretty perfect sense to me. Say there are roughly 1 million Droid's out there in circulation. (I don't know how accurate this is, but lets just roll with it). The update they released was 64MB. That means they have already pushed 64 million MB of data to phones. This is about 64 Terabytes LESS that Verizon/Google have to push to our phones OTA. This could really take a load off of their servers.

The only FC's I've had on mine have been from launcher2, which I installed myself ...

I expect that however it is released, either half or all, that 2.1 will bring its own improvements, and headaches. That is just par for the course.

It's a computer, not a phone ... act accordingly :)

The only FC's I've had on mine have been from launcher2, which I installed myself ...

I expect that however it is released, either half or all, that 2.1 will bring its own improvements, and headaches. That is just par for the course.

It's a computer, not a phone ... act accordingly :)
Haha yeah the FCs and reboots that I talked about earlier were from trying the 2.1 launcher on 2.0.1. which was taken from a different phone and hacked/cracked to work so its no surprise that its a little screwy.

I never got an update but after reading about all this I checked my FB at 111 and checked on the market and I downloaded the free FB app for 112..
is that my update for the move to 2.1 or no?

I have read this thread from start to finish this morning and there is one question I have. With this 2.1 update, does it include the flash or is that coming later? I have had this phone since mid Nov. I got the 2.0.1 update at the very end of Dec. I am trying to figure out all the features still and have only one complaint, no flash that a lot of sites use. So I am hoping the update comes with flash so I can view those sites.

I have read this thread from start to finish this morning and there is one question I have. With this 2.1 update, does it include the flash or is that coming later? I have had this phone since mid Nov. I got the 2.0.1 update at the very end of Dec. I am trying to figure out all the features still and have only one complaint, no flash that a lot of sites use. So I am hoping the update comes with flash so I can view those sites.

All reports that I've read that I personally find reliable state that Flash will not be part of the 2.1 update. If it were the Nexus One would already have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back