Dropped data connection?

And the ones over at nexus thread seem to believe they won't see this issue also. But the Samsung charge has the same issue also.

this is the sole reason for switching to the razr from the bionic.... my bionic would drop data 6-7 times a day, (I drive all day listening to xm radio) I would have to power cycle, very frustrating... The Razr has been flawless, not once did it drop data today, love the phone,,,,,,

Update: My wife loved my Razr so much she traded her Bionic in for one, bad news for her :) , her Razr drops data worse then my Bionic did. My Razr still hasn't lost data, not once since I got it on 11/11. Luck of the draw I guess...

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too quick to let the Droid RAZR off the hook

I was in a Verizon store tonight comparing the Droid RAZR and the HTC Rezound. There is no 4G in my area but the Rezound had a solid 3G signal (I connected to the Android Market and YouTube). The Droid RAZR had NO DATA connection whatsoever. I tried switching between 3G/4G and 3G only. Nothing. I tried toggling WIFI and Airplane Mode. Nothing. I rebooted and the phone briefly had a 1X connection but even that dropped. I would have done a battery pull, but wait, the Droid RAZR doesn't allow that. The only think I can think of is someone played with the phone and set up a Smart Action to turn off ALL DATA (if that is even possible). I was strongly considering buying the Droid RAZR as I have been very happy with my Droid X. Looks like I don't need Kevlar to dodge a bullet. I hope the Galaxy Nexus works because I wasn't wild about the HTC Rezound.

I have seen that some people have returned their razr's for new ones because of the data loss. Has anyone found that a new phone will eventually solve the problem? That's the reason I no longer have a bionic. I'm losing my 3g every couple of minutes, in a non 4g area. It typically goes out for 30 seconds then cones back for several minutes. im hoping to never go back to the Verizon v store after this issue is settled. Extremely disappointed in their sales staff (dealt with a lot), not that I should have expected them to admit to this, but at least mention spotty cennection. It would save them many irate customers in the end. I am paying them a decent monthly bill...thanks for any feedback.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

2 Razrs, 1 was perfect, the other wasn't... however, my Bionic sucked the same day my Razr sucked, and my Bionic was perfect the day the Razr was perfect.

Who the heck knows... but it's at least partially (if not a majority) the network.

I can't remember who, in this thread or another, said it, but the comment was basically that Apple is looking smarter and smarter for waiting to adopt LTE - waiting until the next generation of chips/radios that can handle LTE/3G better... you know, since they're all about "just works", and clearly LTE doesn't "just work" at times.

Also, I know this is a very small percentage of people that own these phones, but I am furious that I pay over 100 a month for this service and it is not reliable. If something I buy for 300 dollars fails to do one of its main tasks every 5 minutes, I would declare it almost useless. I know we are spoiled with speed, but when we pay this much, we should be getting what we are promised. Absolutely disgusted with Verizon.

I just took mine out of lte and down to CDMA only. I get 3G all day no problem and battery drain ceased the show on it. It takes almost 13-15 hrs on my current settings in smart actions to drain.

good point. We pay hundreds of dollars for these devices and thousands for service. A major bug like this should not be present imo. Btw anyone notice this story:

Motorola Getting Users to Help Test Bionic Bugfix Update

Even though it's a Bionic story, clearly this tells me they have data issues with these moto devices. Especially in areas where 4g signal becomes weak and data just turns off completely. This is what happened to me with the RAZR and I returned it on Tuesday... Looks like they are on it so a fix is coming, but 60 days is too long. For the Bionic owners that would be 4/5 months after release! Plus wonder if they figured out the RAZR is having the same problem.

Last edited:
Yeah this fix is the same one with more tweaks for the razr. Thats why the razrs update is coming out so much faster than the Bionics one. It is because they share a lot of the same.

I just tried it and the factory reset was unsuccessful. God damn it.

So I have documented my problems with 3g data connecting properly pretty extensively here. I suspect it was because of ADW Launcher, so I did a factory reset and initially my 3g didn't come back.

Half an hour later I picked up the phone to make a call and lo and behold, the 3g connection returned. My connection has bee steady since 5 pm yesterday with both the 4g to 3g transition and 3g to wifi transition. I will hold onto this phone for now, but if it happens again in the next week, the phone is going back.

So I have documented my problems with 3g data connecting properly pretty extensively here. I suspect it was because of ADW Launcher, so I did a factory reset and initially my 3g didn't come back.

Half an hour later I picked up the phone to make a call and lo and behold, the 3g connection returned. My connection has bee steady since 5 pm yesterday with both the 4g to 3g transition and 3g to wifi transition. I will hold onto this phone for now, but if it happens again in the next week, the phone is going back.

Agreed chocula

Yeah I am three days into my 14 day return policy and still having data connection issues and the rattling on the ear piece during calls. I think this phone might end up going back but I don't know what I would get instead of it right now. I really love this phone but having data completely gone is kind of a show stopper, the ear piece I could almost deal with if not for the data issue. I just took back the Blackberry Bold Touch so I am not going back to them because of the lack of apps they have. Really the only other option is the Iphone 4s, which I have never had an Apple product and I hate Itunes so the thought of that makes me even sadder than my data dropping on my Razr.

Talking to Verizon tech support now and they said they had a outage yesterday with the 4G phones, so that might be why I saw dropping issues yesterday. I have not seen any the first day I had the phone, and have not had any today. So it is possible that was an isolated incident for me, and the only thing I have to deal with is the earpiece problem and I will be quite happy with the phone.

Talking to Verizon tech support now and they said they had a outage yesterday with the 4G phones, so that might be why I saw dropping issues yesterday. I have not seen any the first day I had the phone, and have not had any today. So it is possible that was an isolated incident for me, and the only thing I have to deal with is the earpiece problem and I will be quite happy with the phone.

I hope they're right because yesterday was exceptionally bad around here.

Back