Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US

With the advent of the Google Car, that may be nearer than we think.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

I think this is a tough law. Hard to say. I use blue tooth while i drive and I'v never held up traffic. But some ppl who use blue tooth also hold up traffic. Yesterday while I was driving a lady almost hit me. May I mind ppl I already pulled out and while I was trying to get into the lane of traffic she picks up speed and almost hits the front end of the car I was in Because she was to busy talking on her cell phone. Some ppl can multi-task better then others

Amen to that. I have adhd and it is not that complicated to talk and drive. No different than if someone were in the car with you. So the way I see it, if u can chew gum and walk, talk to the person next to u in the car and drive, then surely u should be able to talk with a Bluetooth or speaker phone just as easily.

View attachment 55066
Credit: xkcd: Nine

(Tone not implied here, last time I posted on this thread I intended a Mr. Mackey a la South Park voice about "cellphones are bad, mmkay?" ...take this or leave it, I'm trying to add some extra logic to this problem, but in reality I am wasting my breath in the face of a deeply emotional and political topic. Here goes!)

IF you're an alert and responsible parent, the road is a scary place. Having 2 kids riding in the back of our wagon, strapped into their safety-law-approved booster seats, always wanting full attention of mom & dad (when they're not demolishing each other or asleep, of course), we pray for safety. Just don't pray & drive if you can't do that without closing your eyes...

Is the goal of instituting a law to ban mobile device distractions in cars to: A.) Modify the behavior of drivers (to promote safety & prevent related accidents), B.) Provide precedent for monetary punishment for only those drivers who get caught (gee, I'm looking in my lap an awful lot, it's fascinating down there, oh hello officer!), C.) Demonizing idiotic behavior by isolating a problem that should be able to be corrected in a more effective manner... ??? D.) None of the above?

This is an easy issue to champion, and it's a divisive topic of opinion, and I dare say technology has sped way past reasonable use for the sake of convenience such that fatal injury was never anticipated by the developers. Maybe it would be reasonable to ask that mobile device owners earn a license to talk & drive, etc., where states could require the driver to demonstrate competency operating the phone while driving? There then would be reasonable (opinions here, all of it, mind ya) expectation that officers would have a right to single out visible phone-using drivers at "phone sobriety checkpoints," traffic stops, etc. But we've gone down roads like this before...

Laws on the books make citizens feel safer (at least in an "on my best days" sense), but the danger isn't removed. Maybe it will eventually lead to development of safer technology by demand of users who MUST have the feature legally. But can't we get there without a possibly unnecessary (opinion, breathe people) new law? Maybe not.

Local law enforcement has said publicly that they don't need a new law to pursue distracted drivers (and yes, you can count nearly the same ratio of does/doesn't talk on cell phone patrol officers as regular citizens, in my observation. Turning on the lightbar to avoid a stoplight is technically illegal, and who hasn't seen that? Again, I'm not judging, just saying that people will always make bad decisions. But that will never happen to me or anyone I care about, right?

Recent accident causing a death here this summer sensationalized in the news for a couple days as a texting driver, failed to mention driver was going nearly DOUBLE THE SPEED LIMIT through a stoplight. But I suppose he'd have been a better speeder if he wasn't texting and avoided causing a fatal accident.

Maybe the carriers develop real ROAMING CHARGES to say you're paying overages for accessing text/data features while in motion above a certain speed according to GPS... but I stream music to the car stereo so I know I wouldn't like that so much. That would be an interesting and evil solution, but only until the truly dangerous drivers find a different carrier who doesn't regulate. We are devious kids aren't we?

How much right do we have to endanger others, but then how much do we limit freedoms (and the freedom to make poor or even dangerous choices)? It boils down to convenience plus the fact that we all tend to believe ourselves better than the next person (more competent driver, better parent, etc.).

It's easy to say "there ought to be a law" but there also ought not to be a need for law. Either way the problem is deeper than some realize (emotional attachments aside) when it leads to an abuse of our liberties. Reasonable folks would set aside their need for this technology to make sure they keep others safe, and I'm just guessing that we as a society aren't quite that reasonable.

Among my peeves: the contractor on his cell while shoving everyone else off the road in his giant white pick-up truck, probably oblivious to being a juggernaut.

I can autopilot my kids to school, get groceries, fill the gas tank, and barely register where I am or how I got there, WITHOUT the use of my phone involved at all.

Our city postponed a planned vote on measure to enact a ban on texting while driving, because the proponent didn't attend. Hot topic, everyone wants to be the hero here, but I think we really need some more critical thought involved.

Oh hey! How about that app which uses the phone's camera to show you on-screen what the phone is blocking from your vision? Because you know, a headsup display (with a 2sec delay or interrupted by incoming call) would like, totally fix this bad sitch, right? *GRONK!*

(Let us pray)

Or as Bowie & Reznor put it, "I'm afraid of Americans" :)K ...I often scare myself...
I got lost in the 1st paragraph, sorry... I was never into "War and Peace".
To sum up this novel above-Cellphones should be banned while driving, period. They should have the same laws as those in Arizona for DWI cases. 1st offense=hefty fine with points on your license - possible license suspension, 2nd offence=hefty fine AND 30 days in jail.

So...you're going to make the roads safe by stopping traffic and ramming a phone down someone's throat? Hmmm...I think you're confused about what "safe" means.

Besides, I wouldn't recommend it, personally. 49 out of 50 states allow for concealed carry of personal firearms.
What do cell phones have to do with firearms? Are you going to point a gun to your mouth to talk? Most states don't allow for concealed carry of personal firearms unless you have a permit, with the exception of Arizona that have the most liberal firearm laws around. We should all live in Az.

I was just wondering about the rules and regulations concerning other forms of communication. Such as cb radios. Are there any? Are they still being widely used by not only truckers but law enforcement as well? People that use these have to use one hand right? Do police officers have laptops or some kind of touch screen that is within reach that they interact with while driving? I have actually seen this. I wonder how many other scenarios of which personnel/people use communication devices other than cellphones. Two of the four vehicles I own have Bluetooth radios of which my phone works flawlessly with. When I drive the other 2, I can use the Bluetooth streamer for my hearing aids. I mostly use hands free for incoming calls. If I make a call, I have a favorite button on the stereos, just like station presets. I don't text while driving however, and I don't see a truly effective way just yet. So unfortunately I can see why they want to ban cellphones. But I feel like all forms of communication should be scrutinized.

What do cell phones have to do with firearms? Are you going to point a gun to your mouth to talk? Most states don't allow for concealed carry of personal firearms unless you have a permit, with the exception of Arizona that have the most liberal firearm laws around. We should all live in Az.

I'm politely suggesting that with the prolific explosion of concealed carry permits (the current stats for my county are 1 in 25 persons has been licensed to carry concealed) that it would be unwise to assault a driver in my area by attempting to ram a cell phone down their throat. It might end badly for the person unhappy about cellular use they deem unsafe. Then again, they wouldn't need to worry about unsafe drivers any longer. In my county you have a one in twenty-five chance of assaulting someone legally licensed to carry.

droidx2010 said:

+1, i think most of the problems with cell phones and driving, are the texters, because your eyes are off the road

point of origin

xtor said:
+1, i think most of the problems with cell phones and driving, are the texters, because your eyes are off the road

point of origin

Ditto. Then there are those that put the phone in speaker mode and hold it next to their face thinking they are hands free.

I'm politely suggesting that with the prolific explosion of concealed carry permits (the current stats for my county are 1 in 25 persons has been licensed to carry concealed) that it would be unwise to assault a driver in my area by attempting to ram a cell phone down their throat. It might end badly for the person unhappy about cellular use they deem unsafe. Then again, they wouldn't need to worry about unsafe drivers any longer. In my county you have a one in twenty-five chance of assaulting someone legally licensed to carry.

LOL. Good point. I have been carrying for 10 years now, I never leave home without a firearm.

point of origin
Texting is a main problem but Cell Phones in general are a big problem as well. I frequently see folks chatting on the cell phone & looking in their laps when driving. I have a cell phone & when it rings, I press my ignore button. There's nothing so important that one needs to answer or talk on the cell phone. I mean, are calls such as "honey, I'm coming home" or "honey, what's for dinner" or "can you make sure the garbage goes out" really so important that you risk injury? I mean, geeshe, why do you all consider this a life line to yourself? I even think talking hands free and the crap you put in your ear looks stupid. I sometimes see someone hand gesturing and arguing - it looks like they're talking to themselves.

LOL. Good point. I have been carrying for 10 years now, I never leave home without a firearm.

wow - this thread is turning into an NRA conversation (which I am a lifetime member). I've been carrying for 10 yrs as well and never leave home w/out a firearm but this has little to do with cell phones.

...I've been carrying for 10 yrs as well and never leave home w/out a firearm but this has little to do with cell phones.

It does when someone states, "...I see another one of you selfish-self important-moronic twits texting or talking on your cells, how about I stop traffic and you, snatch that flippin' phone out your hand and shove it down your throat. I don't want your car intruding into mine!"

I'm quite amused by the people who don't care about the Federal Government abiding by the rules placed upon it, want the Federal Government to further overreach its authority, impose driving laws on top of existing state laws, and think that drivers who aren't obeying state laws will somehow obey Federal laws stating the same thing.

Who do they think is going to enforce these Federal driving laws? The FBI isn't going to drive around Central Florida (where I live) and look for texting drivers. State Troopers, County Deputies, Municipal Police, none of them have jurisdiction to enforce Federal laws. Who's going to do it? Homeland Security? NSA?

People need to quit expecting government to work the way the want it to and realize how it actually works and what the limitations are. States have both the authority and the jurisdiction to create and enforce traffic laws. THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DOES NOT! If your state already has these laws and aren't enforcing them, write or call your representatives and urge them to chastise law enforcement officials and get them to enforce the existing laws. If your state doesn't have these laws, write or call your representatives and urge them introduce the legislation.

If it's not important enough to you to write or call your representatives, shut your pie hole.

It does when someone states, "...I see another one of you selfish-self important-moronic twits texting or talking on your cells, how about I stop traffic and you, snatch that flippin' phone out your hand and shove it down your throat. I don't want your car intruding into mine!"

I'm quite amused by the people who don't care about the Federal Government abiding by the rules placed upon it, want the Federal Government to further overreach its authority, impose driving laws on top of existing state laws, and think that drivers who aren't obeying state laws will somehow obey Federal laws stating the same thing.

Who do they think is going to enforce these Federal driving laws? The FBI isn't going to drive around Central Florida (where I live) and look for texting drivers. State Troopers, County Deputies, Municipal Police, none of them have jurisdiction to enforce Federal laws. Who's going to do it? Homeland Security? NSA?

People need to quit expecting government to work the way the want it to and realize how it actually works and what the limitations are. States have both the authority and the jurisdiction to create and enforce traffic laws. THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DOES NOT! If your state already has these laws and aren't enforcing them, write or call your representatives and urge them to chastise law enforcement officials and get them to enforce the existing laws. If your state doesn't have these laws, write or call your representatives and urge them introduce the legislation.
If it's not important enough to you to write or call your representatives, shut your pie hole.
I don't care to discuss politics on this forum, please do it somewhere else. In Az, they do check cell phone users as well as single drivers that use the HOV lanes (solely used for motorcycles and autos with more than one occupant). If you get caught using a cell phone in a couple municipalities here, you get a $300 fine. 2nd offense is possible suspension of license for using a cell while driving. Send that to your state authority.

I don't care to discuss politics on this forum...

Then don't comment in a thread discussing laws.

... In Az, they do check cell phone users as well as single drivers that use the HOV lanes (solely used for motorcycles and autos with more than one occupant). If you get caught using a cell phone in a couple municipalities here, you get a $300 fine. 2nd offense is possible suspension of license for using a cell while driving. Send that to your state authority.

Thank you for making my point! I truly appreciate it. State laws already handle the issue and a Federal law is both unnecessary as well as unenforceable.

Back