Federal Ban on All Cell Phone Use While Driving Proposed For US

I got lost in the 1st paragraph, sorry... I was never into "War and Peace".
To sum up this novel above-Cellphones should be banned while driving, period. They should have the same laws as those in Arizona for DWI cases. 1st offense=hefty fine with points on your license - possible license suspension, 2nd offence=hefty fine AND 30 days in jail.

I disagree. If distraction is the issue, then why put radios in the car? Your eyes come off the road when you fumble with the knobs, especially with non-steering controls. How about kids or any other passenger?
"Daaaaaddddd, I dropped my glass of juice!!" "Moooommmmm, Billy leaked out of his diaper!!!"

Printed maps to look at? banned.
Looking out the window? banned.
speedometer not on a HUD display? banned.
Makeup in the car, or shaving? banned
just last night... flat tire warning light on the dash? banned if the car cannot tell me "Right rear tire is flat" without having to look down.
Heck, even rear view mirrors distract.

Anything has a potential for distraction. Singling this out is absurd. having a law specific for this is a waste. If I was a cop, i'd stop alot of people for "careless" driving without needing this law passed.

droidx2010 said:
I got lost in the 1st paragraph, sorry... I was never into "War and Peace".
To sum up this novel above-Cellphones should be banned while driving, period. They should have the same laws as those in Arizona for DWI cases. 1st offense=hefty fine with points on your license - possible license suspension, 2nd offence=hefty fine AND 30 days in jail.

Wow. You probably shouldn't drive at all. You might have a passenger in your car speak to you or someone nearby could blow a horn. Maybe your car starts making a funny noise. You could wreck and kill everyone on the street. Talking on a cell with a hands free device is not going to be the biggest distraction for any driver. If it is, please step away from the car. The phone too, for that matter.

I don't see what the problem with texting while stopped at a red light is. You're not moving.. As long as you see the light turn green and put down the phone when it does.

I don't see what the problem with texting while stopped at a red light is. You're not moving.. As long as you see the light turn green and put down the phone when it does.

quite hilarious.....most people texting at a light "get delayed" when it turns green. Personally, I like to see them texting and then when they look down I blow the horn and they take off and the light is still red:biggrin: Lesson to learn here....this is a learning moment for ALL.

Texting is indeed a distraction. No matter what your perspective is. Talking on hands free or even on the phone though should be acceptable. No difference than other people in the car.

I DO NOT text while driving. I DO take calls and use the phone itself or hands free. I ended up tinting my windows limo tint so I cannot be seen and singled out for a ticket. I hate being grouped in with people that cannot talk and drive. I can do it and others can to but some just cannot.

quite hilarious.....most people texting at a light "get delayed" when it turns green.

But that helps protect them from the guy running the other red light due to texting... :biggrin:

Like was said earlier are they going to ban everything from a car and make them dune buggies? No mirrors, no radio,etc.

I like the people who fall asleep at a red light or are talking to their passenger or child and just cruise through the red light. Those are the people they need to go after. Like the Police have said it's hard to enforce the law because they can't see most people on their cell phones unless they are sitting at a red light next to them.

Like was said earlier are they going to ban everything from a car and make them dune buggies? No mirrors, no radio,etc.

I like the people who fall asleep at a red light or are talking to their passenger or child and just cruise through the red light. Those are the people they need to go after. Like the Police have said it's hard to enforce the law because they can't see most people on their cell phones unless they are sitting at a red light next to them.

dune buggies won't work. the dust that gets kicked up will cause you to squint or go blind for a moment. We'd need to ban dust and dirt in the air when we are driving too.

ok maybe motorize bicycles?
won't work. if you are on a motorized bike, you are then subject to drivin on the road. What happens when you go in a puddle and you get splashed and cannot see? shall we ban puddles and folks cleaning the windshield in front of you?

Plus, bike tires are prone for flats. We'd need to make larger wheels and/or thicker inner tubes. But then, we should also create a mandatory airbag system. This Automatic Bubble Protection System (ABPS) would save countless lives. Until that is, someone sees you in one, gets distracted laughing at you and veers off the road crashing. Then the manufactures of the ABPS would get sued because their product causes distracted drivers.

When does the insanity stop???

susan-powter_l.jpg

Attachments

• susan-powter_l.jpg
    susan-powter_l.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 241
Then don't comment in a thread discussing laws.
Thank you for making my point! I truly appreciate it. State laws already handle the issue and a Federal law is both unnecessary as well as unenforceable.
Yeah - but that doesn't mean anything. I was trying to make a point from your comment that states should enforce laws on this not gov. People still use cell phones regardless of the laws since they are ignorant, similarly to running stop lights or speeding.
The government should step in and require scrambling devices installed on autos to prevent cell phones from even being used with the exception of 911 emergencies.
WOW - what a concept, I'm going to write the office of the President, he creates czars for everything, maybe can put a cell phone czar in place.

Just to remind everyone, this forum is about Android based cellular phones and tablets and related industries and subjects, as well as how they integrate into our world, however the line in the sand regarding discussion of this topic is where it becomes political in nature. Discussion of political issues or views is against the forum guidelines and will be met with swift action to remove them.

Also, I shouldn't need to tell you that you must keep your discussion on topic and away from personal assault of others on the forum or defamation of those in political office, as well as away from comments regarding race, creed, color, sexual preference, or anything that would be considered objectionable to the general public or would be inappropriate for children. This is a family friendly site and we intend to maintain that posture.

Thank you.

FoxKat, DroidForums Staff

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Just to remind everyone, this forum is about Android based cellular phones and tablets and related industries and subjects, as well as how they integrate into our world, however the line in the sand regarding discussion of this topic is where it becomes political in nature. Discussion of political issues or views is against the forum guidelines and will be met with swift action to remove them.

Also, I shouldn't need to tell you that you must keep your discussion on topic and away from personal assault of others on the forum or defamation of those in political office, as well as away from comments regarding race, creed, color, sexual preference, or anything that would be considered objectionable to the general public or would be inappropriate for children. This is a family friendly site and we intend to maintain that posture.
Thank you.

FoxKat, DroidForums Staff
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Exactly FoxKat. Thank you for your comment and support.
This wasn't supposed to turn into a political forum. When I mentioned the black guy in office, I wasn't being racist in any way since they frequently mention Obama as the "1st black president of the United States". I wasn't nor was I intending to be flagarant in any way. It's not really my fault he's a bad president but I have to admit, I did cast my vote on someeone more competent.
However; this is an cellular phone forum and topics such as passing laws against using them while driving should permitted. is this not correct? I welcome your opinion and will honor your forum protocol.

I am 100% against any new laws period. We need less laws not more. I hate having our lives regulated by government. Worst part is most people who would agree to this are ignorant people who would do so while in the middle of texting...while driving to the polls to vote with a heart YES!

Back