Getting Custom Kernels Running on the Droid X

Ive been keeping folks update on droidxforums and androidforums. Already on the pr ball ;-)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
Have you asked for volunteers? Link them back to this thread if you would, please. Alias needs all the volunteers he can get. :)

I have. No help being offered. I'be linked here my twitter alias' twitter my email. Nothing. Ill put out a call to arms on xda maybe?

Hell, any help would be lovely right now. Plus I'm working on porting it to other phones and having devs with the actual phone for testing.

EDIT: If you do want to help, I set up a cross-compiler using crossdev. I highly recommend doing it in a stage3 chroot because crossdev can really mangle your system.

I'm just not that interested in working on devices that I can't see the results of the work, I'm sure you can understand that. I'm very detail oriented, I have to test things before letting others see or try it. It's like primping for a date (I lack any proper euphemism).

I'm not leaving the Droid scene until it dies, or I do...so I will be around for any Droid testing you need done. I would definitely not try to port the 2.6.37 kernel, I would start with current 2.2 DroidX kernel (not sure of the version) to make certain the drivers will re-initialize upon kexec before getting too far into your project.

In my dealing with kexec on the Droid I have came to the conclusion that re-initializing the GUI is going to be difficult, I wasn't doing any debugging over USB either so I can't say how difficult.

This idea makes a lot of sense to me. Kexec boot current moto kernel to see if the current drivers work. Then we have proof that Kexec is a viable is a viable solution.

sent from my dx running rubix or liberty

I do use moto's kernel on the just prior to release testing. Usually though I use the most recent because I like seeing what it can do. Being versitile and robust it much more important to me than replicating functionality.

I'm just not that interested in working on devices that I can't see the results of the work, I'm sure you can understand that. I'm very detail oriented, I have to test things before letting others see or try it. It's like primping for a date (I lack any proper euphemism).

I'm not leaving the Droid scene until it dies, or I do...so I will be around for any Droid testing you need done. I would definitely not try to port the 2.6.37 kernel, I would start with current 2.2 DroidX kernel (not sure of the version) to make certain the drivers will re-initialize upon kexec before getting too far into your project.

In my dealing with kexec on the Droid I have came to the conclusion that re-initializing the GUI is going to be difficult, I wasn't doing any debugging over USB either so I can't say how difficult.

This idea makes a lot of sense to me. Kexec boot current moto kernel to see if the current drivers work. Then we have proof that Kexec is a viable is a viable solution.

I do use moto's kernel on the just prior to release testing. Usually though I use the most recent because I like seeing what it can do. Being versitile and robust it much more important to me than replicating functionality.

So when you kexec boot motos kernel the phone works perfectly? Like the kexec wasn't even there?

Usually. I have to load the kmods manually but it works for the most part.

Is there anything I can do to help. I really hope you get this. I'm kinda a noob but am usually willing to do anything As long as I understand it!!

Of course dude. Go grab the sources and start hacking. If you have a twitter you can talk to me on there. I'm @aliasxerog.

I just finished flashing a rom and everything works great but I lost my contacts how or what can I do to get the back.

Droid Inc

That's not really within the scope of my project, but you can restore your backup and export your contacts to your SD card.

like i said im kinda a noob but can you tell me everything i need to download on my computer and phone.

Can you program and do you use Linux?

Hey I'm familiar with Python and C, but I haven't coded low level applications before. Is there anything at all I can do to help? and are you on any IRC channels?

Talk to me on twitter, that's my preferable platform for talking to other people. Im also on the phoenixdev's channel too.

Well to get developing you need a cross-compiler setup, your Linux kernel du jour, and some arm assembly knowledge plus some c knowledge. After that get hacking away.

Back