I don't get it... at all.

Coots

Reaction score
First I'd like to state this is not directed to any particular person or poster.

But I don't get all the complaining about the phone? I mean, it's as if everyone expected the device to be 'the best thing to come out since sliced bread'. So you think the volume is 'to low' on the speaker? Download volume+ and bump it up +2, +4 and enjoy your loud speaker.

Complaining about the battery life to me, is crazy in some sorts. What do you expect out of a phone like this? 20+ hours of solid video streaming, web browsing, texting, calling, downloading and installing apps and you only drop 20% battery? To me people put unrealistic expectations on things that in reality, aren't really that possible. Sure others may get better battery, and I'm sure there is.... but give me a break. Get a car charger, get an extra cable to plug the thing in at your office and if you can't 'charge it at work' or have a job where you can't do this type of thing (manufacturing plant, fast food, etc., I am in no way downgrading these job positions, I've had both and all types of jobs) then you shouldn't be using it that much anyway, except on breaks etc. My battery doesn't drain hardly any at all when it's just sitting there. My battery life is great, granted I'm on wi-fi most of the time and I'm probably not considered a 'heavy user'... but still. To often these days people are just expecting something that's unrealistic out of a phone, that is in reality, a phone afterall right?

I went into the Gnex with an open mind that if the battery life isn't great, I'm fine with that, I will adapt my style of charging a phone, dealing with whatever to make it work out. If I'm at the office, I can sling it on the usb, home usb, if I'm traveling.. car charger.... whatever the case might be... usually you can grab a charge. Then again, I'm a simple Alabama boy so... maybe I'm not exposed to some of the type usage some of you experience, it's just to me, we expect to much from a device or demand in our minds so much out of a device, when we should just learn to change ourselves and our habits if we demand so much out of our devices. I mean heck, if I don't keep my laptop plugged in and watch dvd's etc etc... the battery drains fast on it too.

Everyone was fully aware, made aware and knew that this was the first release of ICS anyway. It's a dev phone. Somethings should just be taken for granted giving these circumstances. Things aren't going to be perfect with the software (however I've had zezro issues). With that comes, in what we should see, faster updates from google to fix things. If that doesn't happen, you still should have known this from the get-go.

The camera is fine for me... it's a cell phone. I take pictures for facebook... simple camera stuff, random shots of my dog, a sunset, whatever. If you expected something different, then maybe you should look into getting an actual dslr and start toting it around in your pocket (snickers out loud in my head). It's a CELL PHONE people. Again, to much expectations from a device that does something, that's it's secondary purpose. I haven't seen anyone stating before this device was released that this thing would be taking dslr type images. It's a 5MP camera, which we were made aware of WAY before launch date. So what did you have built up in your own mind, that Saumsung would somehow develop a 5MP camera that would take images as well as a Nikon D3 with a $3,000 lens on it? Yes, I know other phones have better cameras, but even still... the phone takes pictures just fine for what I would consider it's use for... a cell phone camera.

I'm sorry for the rant, it's just I've been reading all these post and it just seems that in this day in age, we just expect to much out of something and when it don't live up to what we've built up in our minds we just trash the entire thing all together. Before release, there was all kind of begging for information, you got the information well before launch. It's time we've started making ourselves realize that we should try to look at things for what they are and stop trying to expect something to be perfect, when in reality, we had the information before hand and should have realized some of the flaws the thing would have.

My phone isn't perfect, that elusive device will never be made. Hate to burst your bubble. The "I'm leaving Android and waiting for Apple iOS5, because this sucks" type guys will get their beloved IOS5 and start crying about something. It's just the way it is, I understand that... but come on guys. Look at the device with REALISTIC expectations and try to adapt yourself some to the new phone too.

Again, sorry for the rant.

I work in the retail industry, and I can tell you that no matter how good a product you put out, and no matter how good your service is, there are simply many people out there who love to complain and will always find something to fixate on. There are people that just can't be happy, and in fact, being miserable MAKES them happy. And then there are other people that just love to antagonize and will form a negative opinion because it's the opposite of what is expected.

The fact of the matter is that like you said, the main complaints about this phone seem to be volume, battery and camera. For 99% of people these are all petty things to worry about (especially considering volume+, extended battery and software updates which will likely fix the camera). However, don't forget that people that complain are much louder and persistent with their complaints than people that don't. Generally speaking, people that are enjoying their product usually don't feel a need to come to a message board and post about it.

+1.

About the battery life thing though. Its a flaw in ICS. The OS is hurting the battery. :O

So to sum it up, what you're saying is the phone suits YOUR expectations very well, and you are happy with it. However, everyone has different expectations and needs from their phones, and nothing makes your expectations the "right" ones.

For example: Folks with very young kids really like having and using the camera on the phone to snap pics of their kids without having to lug around a dedicated camera at all times. They certainly care a lot more about the quality of the camera on a phone, because they will be using it a lot, and several years down, they wouldn't want to look back at the pictures and feel underwhelmed by them.

People have different wants from their phones, and these forums are a place where they can express their likes and dislikes about a particular phone given their pre-set expectations. While I certainly find some of the ranting and excessive whining to be annoying, it is just as annoying to see folks telling people that "Hey, your expectations suck and you're doing it wrong. This is what my needs and expectations are, and the phone meets them, and you should have the same set of needs and expectations. If not, you're doing it wrong, you suck!"

It's just human nature to want what you don't have, then complain about it. That's never going to change. To me the GNex IS the best of the rest and I'm really happy to be fortunate enough to own one.

Signal is weak is my only major complaint

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I knew what I was getting into with the GN. New phone. New OS. Bound to be bugs. But I have a serious issue with a battery that can't last more than 6-7 hours under light to moderate use. I am not in a situation that I can be constantly near a charger. And I do not want to have to carry a spare battery with me. I have a Droid X that with the extended battery will last a full day. I have a Bionic that can go well over 24 hours without a charge with an extended battery and moderate use. Full day with standard. Even when I had the RAZR battery life was not great, but nowhere this bad. The GN battery drains without even using it. Took it off charge and it dropped 10% in an hour without even touching it. And I don't use 3G and keep the screen at 50%. This just is not acceptable. My expectations for an 1850mAh battery to last a full day with light to medium use are not that unrealistic.

The battery and less than adequate signal strength are my only complaints. And these are two major things that will keep me from being able to use it like I want to.

For example: Folks with very young kids really like having and using the camera on the phone to snap pics of their kids without having to lug around a dedicated camera at all times. They certainly care a lot more about the quality of the camera on a phone, because they will be using it a lot, and several years down, they wouldn't want to look back at the pictures and feel underwhelmed by them.

People have different wants from their phones, and these forums are a place where they can express their likes and dislikes about a particular phone given their pre-set expectations. While I certainly find some of the ranting and excessive whining to be annoying, it is just as annoying to see folks telling people that "Hey, your expectations suck and you're doing it wrong. This is what my needs and expectations are, and the phone meets them, and you should have the same set of needs and expectations. If not, you're doing it wrong, you suck!"

No, you really made my point for me. If they wanted a camera to take pictures of their kids and need that demand from a cell phone camera. The details of what this device had in it, which is a 5MP camera, was made to them well before launch. I never once said anyone's expectations 'suck and you're doing it wrong'. My point was, if you knew what your expectations were going in, did research and knew the details before hand... then maybe you should've gotten a different device. If your lifestyle demands that you have a great camera from a cell phone, then maybe you should read and do research before buying the device 'thinking' that it would do what you wanted. Then coming on a message board dedicated to the device and trashing the entire thing becuase of the camera.

Again, realistic expectations, no matter what they are for that given person should be made. I know my expectations, I did my research on the device and found that they were fine for me. If someone needed a device to take awesome digital pictures, the information was there well before launch date that it wasn't going to be the greatest there was.

I knew what I was getting into with the GN. New phone. New OS. Bound to be bugs. But I have a serious issue with a battery that can't last more than 6-7 hours under light to moderate use. I am not in a situation that I can be constantly near a charger. And I do not want to have to carry a spare battery with me. I have a Droid X that with the extended battery will last a full day. I have a Bionic that can go well over 24 hours without a charge with an extended battery and moderate use. Full day with standard. Even when I had the RAZR battery life was not great, but nowhere this bad. The GN battery drains without even using it. Took it off charge and it dropped 10% in an hour without even touching it. And I don't use 3G and keep the screen at 50%. This just is not acceptable. My expectations for an 1850mAh battery to last a full day with light to medium use are not that unrealistic.

The battery and less than adequate signal strength are my only complaints. And these are two major things that will keep me from being able to use it like I want to.

I'm not saying I don't understand your concerns either. I've got the extended battery ordered, just to have a spare around. I've wondered with some of the messages I've read like yours, because you sound about like me as far as usage goes, if some batteries aren't actually bad or something.

I unplugged mine at 7:30 this am, it's now 5 till 11, and I'm at 89%... downloaded a couple apps this morning, around 10 text, 1 phone call and I did some market lurking... I'm at 89%.

I got the regular battery and gets 8-10 hours. I turn 4g off (no need for it) put brightness down to about 40% and I fb and text A LOT. My only gripe is the signal, but this is BY FAR the best phone I ever had...

sent from my bio... err rezo... err Galaxy Nexus. using vanilla android.

I'm not saying I don't understand your concerns either. I've got the extended battery ordered, just to have a spare around. I've wondered with some of the messages I've read like yours, because you sound about like me as far as usage goes, if some batteries aren't actually bad or something.

I unplugged mine at 7:30 this am, it's now 5 till 11, and I'm at 89%... downloaded a couple apps this morning, around 10 text, 1 phone call and I did some market lurking... I'm at 89%.

I'm actually beginning to think I may have a bad device. With the fact that many times I can barely pull a signal in areas that I always got strong reception. And when I switch to CDMA/LTE in a non 4G area I get no data. I think I may have a bad radio which could possibly explain the bad battery life. I am gonna kill the battery one last time and give it a charge to see how it goes. If nothing improves I think I am gonna exchange it for another.

I have had my Gnex for a couple days, and in all likelihood will keep it. I am very impressed with it overall.

The thing that gets me the most is the bashing of the camera. It is a very well executed camera. Of the phones I have had, it is easily the best. Not just because it is very fast, but because I am getting the best pictures I have ever seen in a cell phone cam. Better than my OG Droid was, and better than my Incredible's were. So, I dont get that.

At any rate I agree with most of what you say. However, I would go a step further. I wish there was some way to accurately determine the number of people who complain about a given device, and then see what percentage of them have actually ever held said device, much less own one.

I will tell you this. The fanboy mentality, amongst other imbalances, compel a lot of people to bash a new device, implying it is a failure. They then go to every single website they can and repeat the same, often outright false, claims. Then, given the internet age of instant comms, you can develop an almost instant, false set of circumstances that have penetrated the whole internet and come up in every search for the phone online.

This happens with every device, and the more anticipated it is, or the more it challenges or beats the iphone, the more prevalent it is.

You basically need to try things out for yourself. Fortunately Verizon makes this possible with their 14 day trial. I have been eligible for upgrade for several months, and first tried the Bionic. Great phone, but the camera was really unusable for me. Otherwise, I was impressed. But I decided to wait on the Gnex, because I like cutting edge screens, and am interested in getting quick updates. I am glad I did. I have tried every phone that is available from Verizon. Iphone, Bionic, Razr, etc and I am glad I ended up with Gnex. I am confident, for my purposes, that the Gnex is the best device available.

Bottom line, realize there are huge groups of people who know how to manipulate the internet and can quickly create a false image of any device that threatens their baby, and within 24 hours, you will have suckers repeating it, including so called tech-bloggers. Then, for most people, it simply becomes fact.

I'm noticing the battery drain as well. My Gnex and Razr have been off the charger for almost 6 hours. I have been using my Razr all day and have only checked my gnex when a work email has cone through, the usage is about 5% of what I've used my Razr for today. The gnex is at 64% while my Razr is still in the 80s.

Hopefully an update comes to resolve this. I don't see why they should be like this as the first day the battery held up great. Every day since it has only gotten worse with less usage. Doesnt make any sense.

Question.

Which is better for conserving battery. 3G or wifi?

Back