I don't get it... at all.

Here's my rant.

Battery: is awful really. At least stock it is. When you are talking about a smartphone... you gotta look at the whole picture. The tbolt I thought was bad on batteries when I first got it...12 hours moderate use. Today I get 20+ hours with same usage and a rezound 1650 mah battery. On my nexus stock I got 7 hours tops....quite a bit of use though. Used less next day and still got fast drain. I rooted and installed setcpu and set up a screen off profile. Helped quite a bit actually. Yesterday I got over 12 on a full charge and used it quite a bit for pictures at a graduation. I think that custom roms and kernels to come will improve battery greatly.

2. Volume was never really a big deal for me. I did install volume + though and its pretty loud at +5.

3. Theme aspect... wish Google would completely get rid of ALL of the ugly orange that still lingered. Shouldn't they have changed that to match blue.

4. Wtf did they not include simultaneous voice and data. Took a step backward on this one.

sent from unlocked gnex

4. Wtf did they not include simultaneous voice and data. Took a step backward on this one.

sent from unlocked gnex

I believe Voice+data works, it uses 4G radio for data, 3G radio for voice.

What I don't understand is people complaining about battery life on a device that has a changeable battery.
Guys, two words, "spare battery".

I have three batteries, two on chargers one at home, and one at work.
I use the Hell out of my phone, I'm sure they can see me from space with one of those NSA spy satellite.
If I'm not broadcasting on at least 3 radios at all times, I'm not happy.
The cost of such use is battery life, it's not magic, and the fix only costs a few bucks.

Your sig says it all to me. I said before that individuals who came from the OG would be happy and enjoy this phone. People like me that have way too much time and money will be less pleased with the phone because besides being a dev phone this device really isnt that special.

My question is this: If this device weren't a dev phone would the build quality, volume issues, radio issues, and poor battery life be acceptable on a top tier device?

Your sig says it all to me. I said before that individuals who came from the OG would be happy and enjoy this phone. People like me that have way too much time and money will be less pleased with the phone because besides being a dev phone this device really isnt that special.

My question is this: If this device weren't a dev phone would the build quality, volume issues, radio issues, and poor battery life be acceptable on a top tier device?

*snort* LOL

What I don't understand is people complaining about battery life on a device that has a changeable battery.
Guys, two words, "spare battery".

I have three batteries, two on chargers one at home, and one at work.
I use the Hell out of my phone, I'm sure they can see me from space with one of those NSA spy satellite.
If I'm not broadcasting on at least 3 radios at all times, I'm not happy.
The cost of such use is battery life, it's not magic, and the fix only costs a few bucks.

Because with an 1850mAh battery you should not have to carry a stockpile of batteries to get you through the day if you are a light to moderate user.

Simply put, no. But if it weren't a dev phone, it wouldn't be so easy for the custom ROM cooks to address these issues. The big deal about the Nexus on Verizon is that it's design and software were dictated by Google, and not Verizon. Supposedly, OS updates will come straight from Google, cutting out the lengthy delays other devices face with seeing new OS versions. It's bootloader can be unlocked without resorting to hacks, basically it voids your warranty but you have the option to do so if you wish and you know an OS update isn't going to screw up rootability or anything of that nature.

Don't forget, ICS is also a brand new OS. The Nexus users right now are basically beta testing the OS for every other manufacturer. In time, any shortcomings will likely be resolved. The entire Android 4.0.x OS is designed around this platform.

On a side note, as a Bionic owner I am sort of happy that Android 4.0.x is designed around a platform with very similar specs (OMAP 4460 vs. Bionic's OMAP 4430- only difference is max CPU speed).

Because with an 1850mAh battery you should not have to carry a stockpile of batteries to get you through the day if you are a light to moderate user.

The problem is that phone technology is advancing, while battery technology has remained static. These devices would probably be better off with a 4000mAh battery being the stock battery, but people want thin and light. I am less than impressed with the stock battery on my Bionic, on days that I actually do alot on my phone. But then again, I am impressed by the fact that I have a handheld device that is more powerful than my netbook. And compared to my (less powerful) netbook, my phone actually has better battery life.

I agree with the original post. I have no issues with anything on the phone except something that is very serious.... very poor signal.

I know a new phone takes getting used to and fully accept the battery draining because we can work with all that.

However if a phone cannot maintain a proper signal it renders the phone useless. And that is what we have here.

I am now on my second phone and it has the same issue with very poor to non existent signal. I have been with tech support a few times and I just got off the phone with tier 2 tech support where they open a ticket to make them aware of the issue.

More people need to call and get tickets opened at tech support level not just customer service.

Whether we love the phone or not it doesn't matter if it doesn't work. Those that are in a HOT 4g zone may not notice it so much but as they begin to travel around I feel they will start noticing it also. Also if you have never owned a 4g phone before to see what it should be like you may also not know what you are missing.

Since I have had good signal for brief periods I feel it is something that can be fixed with a software update. I am however disappointed because they had ample time to resolve this before launch.

Nothing will happen if we don't all call and actually report it to tech support.

I'm actually beginning to think I may have a bad device. With the fact that many times I can barely pull a signal in areas that I always got strong reception. And when I switch to CDMA/LTE in a non 4G area I get no data. I think I may have a bad radio which could possibly explain the bad battery life. I am gonna kill the battery one last time and give it a charge to see how it goes. If nothing improves I think I am gonna exchange it for another.

Unfortunately exchanging it for another will not help. I did this and the second is the same as the first.

They are all like this as far as signal goes, but many don't realize it because they have not had a phone with 4g to compare it to. All you can do is contact tech support and make them aware so that they message gets sent up.

That or return the phone at the end of our trial period which would be very sad after all we put up with to get the phone.

I agree with the original post. I have no issues with anything on the phone except something that is very serious.... very poor signal.

I know a new phone takes getting used to and fully accept the battery draining because we can work with all that.

However if a phone cannot maintain a proper signal it renders the phone useless. And that is what we have here.

I am now on my second phone and it has the same issue with very poor to non existent signal. I have been with tech support a few times and I just got off the phone with tier 2 tech support where they open a ticket to make them aware of the issue.

More people need to call and get tickets opened at tech support level not just customer service.

Whether we love the phone or not it doesn't matter if it doesn't work. Those that are in a HOT 4g zone may not notice it so much but as they begin to travel around I feel they will start noticing it also. Also if you have never owned a 4g phone before to see what it should be like you may also not know what you are missing.

Since I have had good signal for brief periods I feel it is something that can be fixed with a software update. I am however disappointed because they had ample time to resolve this before launch.

Nothing will happen if we don't all call and actually report it to tech support.

I am actually getting ready to get on the phone in a bit about this issue. I am not in a major metropolitan area, but my Bionic and DX always get great reception where I am barely pulling a signal. Can't figure out why when I switch to 4G in a 3G area that I don't even get 3G either. Could be a bad radio as I stated a few posts up. Which would also explain my bad battery life.

Unfortunately exchanging it for another will not help. I did this and the second is the same as the first.

They are all like this as far as signal goes, but many don't realize it because they have not had a phone with 4g to compare it to. All you can do is contact tech support and make them aware so that they message gets sent up.

That or return the phone at the end of our trial period which would be very sad after all we put up with to get the phone.

LOL. I was responding to you as you were responding to me.

Hey there is always a chance you got two bad ones in a row. People I talk to have had zero issues with signal strenght in comparison to their other phones. Which usually were also Moto devices.

LOL. I was responding to you as you were responding to me.

Hey there is always a chance you got two bad ones in a row. People I talk to have had zero issues with signal strenght in comparison to their other phones. Which usually were also Moto devices.

The manager made it so difficult for me to swap my phone I cant even imagine trying to do it again.

I would wonder if it were just a bad phone if it were not for so many with the same issue.

Anybody who is having poor battery life needs to do themselves a favor go download the Android Revolution HD rom. My battery life has been awesome since I flashed this rom .. 8 hrs in moderate use and I'm at 65% which I think is good seeing my Droid X would be at the same % right now

Just curious if Juice Defender is not working for you guys or something. I see no mention of it in this thread. Maybe someone should give it a go....might have good results as others do on other devices.

Back