If you could only have/recommend 5 APPS ?

5 favorite apps

1) weather bug
2) ringer toggle widget- gives one touch choices for mute, vib or sound
3) missed call-provides interval noise notificaitons
4) not call log-returns phone to home screen rather than call log
5) screen mode widget-gives quick options for unlocking rather than dragging everytime

Everyone seems to recommend Swype keyboard...but it probably will never be supported nor officially released for our phone...so ShapeWriter is that much worse?

Some apps not mentioned or not mentioned often earlier in the thread that I really like:

Google Voice... this app works with your GoogleVoice account; sends voicemail to text, allows you to play individual voicemails etc.

Dolphin Browser... better than the stock browser.

RealCalc Scientific Calculator... I'm a physicist, I always need a calculator.

My Maps Editor by Google... allows customizing maps that you may use often

MotoTorch LED... LED flashlight app

WeatherBug... weather app. I also liked Weather Channel's app

Others I use and couldn't live without: Home++, Beautiful Widgets, Google Sky, Pandora, Where, Advanced Task Killer, Google Translate, Bloo, Mobile Defense, Google Goggles, and Google Talk.

Handcent

Installed Handcent sms and love it. How do I disable the default droid sms I don't get 2 notifications when I get a text.

I have 74 apps so it will hard to pick but my number 1 that I use all the time is ScreenModeWidget. I hated the slide to unlock feature and this app is great.

2) Advanced Task Killer
3) Zedge Ringtones & Wallpaper
4) ShopSavvy
5) Any of the weather apps. Weather Bug, Weather Channel, AccuWeather.

I have 74 apps so it will hard to pick but my number 1 that I use all the time is ScreenModeWidget. I hated the slide to unlock feature and this app is great.

2) Advanced Task Killer
4) ShopSavvy
I read the description on the market but still have more questions...can you elaborate a bit more on what this does?

Can you still lock the phone via hitting the button?

mylock - I got tired of swiping or pattern unlocking my phone. I probably unlock my phone a solid 100 - 200 times a day, sometimes more. Now with just a push of the button the phone comes to life, I prefer it that way for right now. I may go back to a swipe or something in the future.

I can't find mylock... have searched a few times... any suggestions?

I found it here
myLock for android

1. Abduction- addicting game!
2. MusicSearch- allows you to search for and download music for free
3. Wikidroid- Wikipedia app
4. Flixster- you can link to your Netflix queue and also see reviews from rottentomatoes.com and other sites
5. Jewels- another simple but fun game

Oh, also ChompSMS. I prefer it to Handcent. I found Handcent to be buggy.

Well after some serious thought......

1A. Beautiful Widgets (Only use the clock / weather but I love it.)
1B. Locale (Man I love this thing. Slow on occasion but WOW. Still using the Beta/Free version, it works!)
2. Pure Calendar Widget (What is it with me and the need for transpartent skins?)
3. Genie Widget (Transpatent of course!)
4. Flixster App (Love seeing movies!)
5. 2.1 Power Control (Can't someone make this thing transparent? )

I'm trying to like Handcent SMS, I've installed and removed it several times. I do like the customization but there are a few bugs and that keeps me from making it a top 5.

Last edited:

2) Advanced Task Killer
4) ShopSavvy
I read the description on the market but still have more questions...can you elaborate a bit more on what this does?

Can you still lock the phone via hitting the button?

Well the Wake Stay (which I use) turns the screen off and all you have to do is hit the on/off button on the top of the Droid, picture button, or volume buttons on the side to turn your screen back on WITHOUT SWIPING TO TURN YOUR PHONE ON. :icon_ banana: It turns itself off by the amount time you already have your phone to turn off in your settings.

Screen Stay means your phone screen never turns which is pretty much a battery waste.

Auto Sleep means your have to swipe to turn on. Pretty much what you have to do to unlock your phone now.

But if I lock my phone using the top button, will it unlock with a swipe, or with the settings you described above?

In other words, when I sit around the house I wouldn't mind having it not lock via the usual timeout. But if I physically hit the power button to lock the phone, I would like it to have to be swiped to unlock.

Back