If you could only have/recommend 5 APPS ?

I have 74 apps so it will hard to pick but my number 1 that I use all the time is ScreenModeWidget. I hated the slide to unlock feature and this app is great.

2) Advanced Task Killer
3) Zedge Ringtones & Wallpaper
4) ShopSavvy
5) Any of the weather apps. Weather Bug, Weather Channel, AccuWeather.
I read the description on the market but still have more questions...can you elaborate a bit more on what this does?

Can you still lock the phone via hitting the button?

Well the Wake Stay (which I use) turns the screen off and all you have to do is hit the on/off button on the top of the Droid, picture button, or volume buttons on the side to turn your screen back on WITHOUT SWIPING TO TURN YOUR PHONE ON. :icon_ banana: It turns itself off by the amount time you already have your phone to turn off in your settings.

Screen Stay means your phone screen never turns which is pretty much a battery waste.

Auto Sleep means your have to swipe to turn on. Pretty much what you have to do to unlock your phone now.
I tried the Auto Sleep app out (what a weird name for what it does...) and It seemed excellent but has one critical flaw. I found that if your memory gets full (you use a lot of apps, multitask etc) that sometimes the Stay Awake app will unload from memory and stop working (lock screen will come back)

Because of this inconsistency/flaw, I decided to uninstall it.

I tried the Auto Sleep app out (what a weird name for what it does...) and It seemed excellent but has one critical flaw. I found that if your memory gets full (you use a lot of apps, multitask etc) that sometimes the Stay Awake app will unload from memory and stop working (lock screen will come back)

Ahhhhhhh so THAT'S what was causing it! I had the same thing happening to me and was wondering what was causing it to stop working. Good call.

I read the description on the market but still have more questions...can you elaborate a bit more on what this does?

Can you still lock the phone via hitting the button?

Well the Wake Stay (which I use) turns the screen off and all you have to do is hit the on/off button on the top of the Droid, picture button, or volume buttons on the side to turn your screen back on WITHOUT SWIPING TO TURN YOUR PHONE ON. :icon_ banana: It turns itself off by the amount time you already have your phone to turn off in your settings.

Screen Stay means your phone screen never turns which is pretty much a battery waste.

Auto Sleep means your have to swipe to turn on. Pretty much what you have to do to unlock your phone now.

I had no idea that others had this happen, too. I had this happen multiple times, this week, and did not relate the two. Thanks for the info! :)

My Updated 5...

1) xScope (sooo much better than dolphin)

2) Places Directory (replaced Where)

3) A Online Radio (local sports talk via 3g)

4) Rock On aka 3 in the market

5) Gmote

1) Pandora

2) Beautiful Widgets

3) Mobile Defense

4) SportsTap

5) i Music

mylock - I got tired of swiping or pattern unlocking my phone. I probably unlock my phone a solid 100 - 200 times a day, sometimes more. Now with just a push of the button the phone comes to life, I prefer it that way for right now. I may go back to a swipe or something in the future.

I can't find mylock... have searched a few times... any suggestions?

I found it here
myLock for android

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. I don't understand why something like this was not an option for Droid from jumpstreet ... seems redundant to push that awkward power button and then have to swipe the unlock too ...
I tried some other programs from the market ... stay awake or screen awake or something but they didn't work consistently and when I was really interested in leaving the screen 'awake' it seemed to shut down the most - ie: web browsing or reading long gmails. myLock seems to work better already.
Thanks again.

Non-Root Apps

1) Google Voice, nuff said, I love the ability to filter my phone calls, and customize greetings. I wish it was a little more immediate with the SMS, but I figure it will get there sooner or later.

2) Network Discovery, Useful in my line of work.

3) Beautiful Widgets, just adds character to the phone.

4) Pandora, just a great service all around.

5) Advanced Task killer, though with 2.01 I have had very little need for it.

Root Apps

1) SetCPU, couldn't live with out it.

2) Root Explorer, I am pretty familiar with linux, but still, I would rather simplify if I can.

3) droCap, sending screenshots to friends who have iphones to tell them how awesome my phone is.

4) Wireless Tether, I love this, I don't use it very often, but if I need to access our vpn to check on a problem, it's great to have.

5) Metamorph, changing themes without having to use Home++ or any of that stuff that just always seemed unstable.

There's a ton of other stuff that's got potential, but we'll have to see how that works out.

pdanet
beautiful widgets
google voice
pandora
dx top
bar code scanner
advanced task killer
Fios Mobile
handcent
key ring

Google Maps/Navigation
Astrid
Gmail(does this count as an app)
voice search
cardio trainer
setCPU(BB v1.0 @1.1ghz scares me)

great question. here goes:

dxtop
handcent
pandora
mobile banking for android
youmail

i'm sure i have overlooked some that i just could not live without but those five are definitely at the top of the list.

Man only 5, hmmm. In no particular order:

1. Handcent SMS- Mentioned many times, replacement for the horrible stock app.
2. Barcode Scanner & EasyShare- For scanning QR codes and turning pics, webpages, contacts, etc into QR codes to save or send to friends. Fun to play around with.
3. Beautiful Widgets- Nice looking clock, weather, and vibrate/silent/wi-fi toggle widgets.
4. Unread Gmail counter- Gmail looking widget that displays number of unread email instantly. I found when using the stock ones, it didn't update to my liking. Maybe just me..
5. BatteryLife by Curvefish- Nice battery widget with exact %, battery temp, and customizable colors.

Ok no way I can do only 5. Here's a few more quick ones.
Ak Notepad
Astro
ShapeWriter
Bookmark Backup & Restore(change the order of your bookmarks widget)
Shopper(barcode scanner witout barcodes. Scans the covers of books, music, movies, video games etc and displays info. Works very well and is very cool!)
Hi MSN
Dolphin
Speed Test

And many more. Just throwin some names out there.

Handcent but I won't count that as part of my five since it's already been mentioned a lot.

So my top five...

Todo Q
Choice Dialer
eBuddy Messenger
Screen Mode Widget
Not Call Log

Back