Is anyone the tiniest bit jealous of the iPhone 4s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course the iPhone has better battery life. It doesn't have a large screen and a 4G radio sucking the life out of it. That's more than likely why the 4S is not 4G capable because Apple knows that without a removable battery the iPhone will become an expensive paper weight.

I have a 2750 mah battery in my Thunderbolt and I only get a day out of it before it needs charged. The iPhone 5 won't be 4G because by next summer I doubt they will have solved the 4G battery sucking problem and Apple will not stick a 2250-3000 mah battery in it because it would be gigantic.

I wish I had the battery life and the screen. I also wish an Android phone could be built with the same hardware quality as the iPhone.

X

Actually, the primary issue with 4G sucking battery power is the fact that you are dealing with two radio chips essentially and they still haven't gotten the hand off completely worked out. Though that might have been what you were alluding to. One the single radio LTE chips release, which I think is spring, they will get much better. And you're dead on right about about the screen size. All manufacturers have got to work on the battery issues as the phones get more powerful with bigger screens.

I think the iPhone 5 getting 4G will be dependent on if the single radio LTE chip is in full swing by then.

Sorry, didn't mean it like that. It was more about the overall thread and not you specifically.

There are elements of Android that I do miss. The extreme levels of customization were nice as were changing ROM's. But they all came with a tradeoff. And the other issue I see with Android is there is always a middle man between software releases from Google and the handsets, with the exception of the Nexus, which causes problems. The Nexus and iPhone are alike in the expediency that they get updates out, which is really nice.

Not being a smartass, did that update help your battery at all? My wife's 4 was down initially but the update fixed it. I got my 4S after the update so I never saw the true battery life on it with the initial release.

Yes the update corrected the issue for us.

What I was trying to point out earlier was the reason the Iphone seems so smooth and even the reason it's battery last so long is because of it's limited use of multi-tasking. It has a small screen, no LTE and doesn't multi-task, which allows it to run very smoothly and allows it's battery to last a long time.

Comparing them is very difficult because they just aren't similar in any way. Between multi-tasking, screen size, and LTE speeds, the 4s doesn't even compare to the Nexus. The 4s blows the Nexus' camera away, but that is the only area I find it to be better.

What it comes down to is the Iphone is simply easier to use, I just choose to believe that easier doesn't always mean better.

Would I like it's camera on my Nexus, you better believe it, but there's nothing else about it that makes me want it over the Nexus.

Makes sense, and you're right about that comparison issue. Until they are both on LTE and both of similar screen sizes, definitely different phones. The one thing I do think is similar and of great benefit to both is the Apple and the Nexus both being directly supported in their OS instead of having to go through layers of approvals. That benefits them both greatly.

Makes sense, and you're right about that comparison issue. Until they are both on LTE and both of similar screen sizes, definitely different phones. The one thing I do think is similar and of great benefit to both is the Apple and the Nexus both being directly supported in their OS instead of having to go through layers of approvals. That benefits them both greatly.

Agreed.

That's why I waited for the Nexus to come out to upgrade from the OG.

One thing I appreciate with Apple is that they only release one phone a year. I get a lot of android hate for this but I think they really have the right idea by doing this. It allows a company to keep their device updated and focus their efforts. The product is bound to come out better than any other company's when you're devoting all of your resources to one device. It also allows APP devs the time to polish their products so the user experience is better and they aren't always having to play catch up.

If the Nexus is successful, I can see other android manufacturers going this route. Of course we all appreciate the many choices that Android gives us when choosing a device, but I think we'd also agree that quality has suffered recently with manufacturers spitting out phones faster than we can blink.

If each manufacturer would take their time and each develop a really great device, then we'd have real choices. We'd get to choose between 3 or 4 amazing phones each year.

Agreed.

That's why I waited for the Nexus to come out to upgrade from the OG.

One thing I appreciate with Apple is that they only release one phone a year. I get a lot of android hate for this but I think they really have the right idea by doing this. It allows a company to keep their device updated and focus their efforts. The product is bound to come out better than any other company's when you're devoting all of your resources to one device. It also allows APP devs the time to polish their products so the user experience is better and they aren't always having to play catch up.

If the Nexus is successful, I can see other android manufacturers going this route. Of course we all appreciate the many choices that Android gives us when choosing a device, but I think we'd also agree that quality has suffered recently with manufacturers spitting out phones faster than we can blink.

If each manufacturer would take their time and each develop a really great device, then we'd have real choices. Choices between 3 or 4 amazing phones each year.

That is so absolutely and completely right.

Compare the HTC rhyme to the iPhone. That phone gets two days easy. Incredible 2 I heard has good battery life also. And this is HTC which is notorious for bad batteries.

The 4s has good battery until you start using it. The iPhone 4 compared to the thunderbolt on 3g when compared with talk time, the thunderbolt beat it...and this is the thunderbolt.

I wish I had the battery life and the screen. I also wish an Android phone could be built with the same hardware quality as the iPhone.

X

Hardware? You like the all around glass which shatters if you drop it an inch from the ground?

Compare the HTC rhyme to the iPhone. That phone gets two days easy. Incredible 2 I heard has good battery life also. And this is HTC which is notorious for bad batteries.

The 4s has good battery until you start using it. The iPhone 4 compared to the thunderbolt on 3g when compared with talk time, the thunderbolt beat it...and this is the thunderbolt.

I had the Inc 2. It was a great phone. Once rooted, the battery life was close to the 4S. And it actually wasn't as much the batteries with the HTC, it was the fact that they had their charging system screwed up on their phones. They basically were never "fully" charging. You had to dance around unplugging and plugging at the end of the cycles to get it to full. Sounds like the Rhyme might have finally fixed that. I hope so, because I really liked HTC with my Inc and Inc 2.

Hardware? You like the all around glass which shatters if you drop it an inch from the ground?

That's most phones these days since they are pushing the glass all the way out to the edges of the bezels. I always keep cases on my phones and have the Otterbox Commuter on this one, so I was never really phased by this.

Actually, the primary issue with 4G sucking battery power is the fact that you are dealing with two radio chips essentially and they still haven't gotten the hand off completely worked out. Though that might have been what you were alluding to. One the single radio LTE chips release, which I think is spring, they will get much better. And you're dead on right about about the screen size. All manufacturers have got to work on the battery issues as the phones get more powerful with bigger screens.

I think the iPhone 5 getting 4G will be dependent on if the single radio LTE chip is in full swing by then.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. If they could figure out how to make the hand-off between the two we would be set. However I don't know if they will get it resolved within the next year. Another suggestion would be once the 4G network is solid and reliable enough they could eliminate 3G capabilities from future 4G phones perhaps...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I have dropped my ipod touch and beat the hell out of it for 5 years. The buttons don't feel like they are gonna fall out like my X and there's only one little scratch on the screen. So to lie and say the hardware is crap means that you are an Android fanboy.

Now the software is another story... I hate iOS.

X

Last edited by a moderator:
I have dropped my ipod touch and beat the hell out of it for 5 years. The buttons don't feel like they are gonna fall out like my X and there's only one little scratch on the screen. So to lie and say the hardware is crap means that you are an Android fanboy and full of ****.

X

+1 on apple hardware. Whatever they've done, they did it right. My PC charger's brick is failing now and it really hasn't seen that much use. Then I have an old Powerbook G4 I think, and that thing is still kicking in terms of battery and charger. Never had to replace it. Boots and runs well too. Can't say the same for my HP laptop's battery and charger...

I have dropped my ipod touch and beat the hell out of it for 5 years. The buttons don't feel like they are gonna fall out like my X and there's only one little scratch on the screen. So to lie and say the hardware is crap means that you are an Android fanboy.

X

I dropped my x a million times and when I sold it on eBay the customer couldn't believe how nice I kept the phone. It had no scratches.

The new iPhone is delicate. Drop it the wrong way and it'll shatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back