~OFFICIAL: FRG01B FroYo Issues/Solutions Thread~

i think im ready to root my phone. can someone point me to the appropriate thread thats latest and up to date for doing this on froyo ?

Recent Update to 2.2

Just started having issues with my Driod for the first time but it all started with the most recent update about 2 weeks ago. My battery doesn't last, apps not working correctly. Each day I continue to find more issues. Again, this all started once I did the phone updates about 2 weeks ago. I've had my Motorola Driod for almost a year now and this is the very first time I have experienced any issues. Is anyone else having this problem?

There seem to be many problems associated with 2.2. The only ones that I have found are that the media player won't play wmv movies any more and when I initiate a BT call, the screen comes on. With the Droid in my pocket, it turns off BT and sometimes switches to speaker. Battery and speed don't seem to have been affected, but some people say they are having battery problems. Oh, one other thing related to the battery. One of the battery monitoring apps takes forever to load, so I just uninstalled it.

Just started having issues with my Driod for the first time but it all started with the most recent update about 2 weeks ago. My battery doesn't last, apps not working correctly. Each day I continue to find more issues. Again, this all started once I did the phone updates about 2 weeks ago. I've had my Motorola Driod for almost a year now and this is the very first time I have experienced any issues. Is anyone else having this problem?

Are you running a task killer? If so, disable it. They have been known to cause battery drain in 2.2.

What apps are not working? have you tried uninstalling and re-installing any of them? Only Swype stopped working for me in 2.2 and a re-install fixed it.

There seem to be many problems associated with 2.2. The only ones that I have found are that the media player won't play wmv movies any more and when I initiate a BT call, the screen comes on. With the Droid in my pocket, it turns off BT and sometimes switches to speaker. Battery and speed don't seem to have been affected, but some people say they are having battery problems. Oh, one other thing related to the battery. One of the battery monitoring apps takes forever to load, so I just uninstalled it.

Have you tried doing a factory data reset to solve these issues? The update is getting blamed for many issues, but the reality of it is people aren't taking care of their Droid with regular maintenance, i.e. cache cleaning. A Factory Data Reset will fix this. If it doesn't then you should be talking to Verizon because it's their update and it's not suppose to cause you issues. You have a warranty, use it if necessary.

FRG22D OTA not allowing swype

i got in on the beta for swype, have loved the heck out of it. i automatically downloaded the official update from verizon(i presume) to FRG22D. I have tried all the ideas i can come across. i have uninstalled swype and the installer, uninstalled lookout, using wifi, rebooted my phone, had the installer resent. either i get a parsing package error or the download won't even start. please help me, hard to imagine anything better and easier to use than swype.

Are you running a task killer? If so, disable it. They have been known to cause battery drain in 2.2.

What apps are not working? have you tried uninstalling and re-installing any of them? Only Swype stopped working for me in 2.2 and a re-install fixed it.

That's actually one of almost all my apps that I'm having issues with. When I kill apps a minute later its running again when I haven't even ran the app. I didn't have this problem until the update. Pandora is also not running right & my phone in general is running much slower. My biggest concern is the battery; I'm always charging it. Before the update I would charge my phone every night & it would last the entire day.

Have you tried doing a factory data reset to solve these issues? The update is getting blamed for many issues, but the reality of it is people aren't taking care of their Droid with regular maintenance, i.e. cache cleaning. A Factory Data Reset will fix this. If it doesn't then you should be talking to Verizon because it's their update and it's not suppose to cause you issues. You have a warranty, use it if necessary.

I'd like to get more details about each issue. I don't think repeatedly saying "Do a factory reset and then call Verizon when it doesn't work" is very helpful. I'd like to brainstorm here to find out what is actually causing the problems. Many people are techies here and I think we can dig deeper. I have some inside contacts on the froyo development team that I may try to leverage.

What he probably meant to say was UNINSTALL the task killer. You don't need it and it can cause problems like you are having. Get rid of it forever and don't worry about apps that you did not open running in the background.

That's actually one of almost all my apps that I'm having issues with. When I kill apps a minute later its running again when I haven't even ran the app. I didn't have this problem until the update. Pandora is also not running right & my phone in general is running much slower. My biggest concern is the battery; I'm always charging it. Before the update I would charge my phone every night & it would last the entire day.

What he probably meant to say was UNINSTALL the task killer. You don't need it and it can cause problems like you are having. Get rid of it forever and don't worry about apps that you did not open running in the background.
I'm not sure if that is an accurate statement. Taskkillers can be an easy way to: 1) Kill off tasks you have launched that no longer care about so that they don't eat resources (instead of navigating through each one's manu to kill it) 2) Get a list of running applications so you can see which ones are respawning despite being killed. Then you can uninstall them if you don't want them doing that. Yes, some apps running in the background do indeed cause performance problems and drain battery life so it is still a good idea to be aware of what is running and respawning. I believe the froyo update caused some taskkillers to fail at actually killing applications which may be why some people are suddenly seeing battery drain. The one I use occasionally Advanced Task Killer actually warns about this in their download page, and they also recommend a reinstall when you move to Froyo. (I also use an app called Spare Parts which helps me track resource usage of various apps.) Note - I do *not* autokill applications, I only do it selectively after I have used my phone for a while and apps have built up. I suspect that since froyo makes it easier for apps to respawn, you could get caught into a autokill->respawn-autokill-->respawn loop that could drain battery life if you were to use an autokilling taskkiller.

Last edited:
Fbm,
I do not use one because of you.

Are you happier now?

(I'm serious though!)

:)

i got in on the beta for swype, have loved the heck out of it. i automatically downloaded the official update from verizon(i presume) to FRG22D. I have tried all the ideas i can come across. i have uninstalled swype and the installer, uninstalled lookout, using wifi, rebooted my phone, had the installer resent. either i get a parsing package error or the download won't even start. please help me, hard to imagine anything better and easier to use than swype.

I admit I did the manual install of FRG22D. I used the original installer and was on 3G, but I got it working after 3 failures. All at the same point, the registering part.

Froyo 2.2 Weirdness/glitchiness

The setup: A standard Droid 1 (not rooted) with the Froyo 2.2 update completed (FRG22D - but haven't gone after the flash app yet).

I've noticed three "funnies". Not bugs per se, just weirdness.

1. When starting an app, the phone is much more prone to jumping to landscape (horizontal) display mode than it used to. I find myself continually re-orienting the phone to get the display to switch back to portrait (vertical) mode - my orientation of choice.

2. When answering a phone call, there is a slight, audible noise glitch when the app starts up that never was there in 2.1. Not a showstopper, but disconcerting nonetheless.

3. I use Gmail as my client and I tend to forward emails to my other boxes quite a bit as needed. In 2.1, an email with graphics and HTML content would be forwarded with that content intact to my other in boxes (comcast, yahoo etc...). after upgrading, all the HTML, pictures and rich formatting are now stripped out of the forwarded email. I'm not sure if this is a settings issue in the Gmail client on the phone. I've looked and found nothing.

Anyone else seeing these issues?

MBdroid.

new FRG22D

How does everyone feel about the new software? It seems like the default launcher is still a bit laggy. The music player is acting strange on my phone. (volume changing, pausing itself) I was just curious if anyone else was having any problems with it.

Back