Teacher had a panic attack with MY DROID in her hand

droid does.....

give teachers mental breakdowns!

How the hell do you even have a droid if you're still in school??? I couldn't ever have had such a cool toy until I could pay for it myself! No way my mom would have spent that much on a device (cell phones didn't really exist when I was in high school...and I never had a pager!)
Im still in school myself, first year of college. Mine was a birthday present but the monthly bill is all mine.

adrynalyne, if you had thrown my $600 phone against the wall...we would have some serious problems which would likely end up with your car in the classroom via the brick wall you hit my phone to ;)

Well you younger folks will not agree with this,but this is how it is in MY house.I have a 16 yo daughter and a 17 yo son they both have new eris's that I bought and I pay the bill on.Guess who makes the rules on how they are used?Me period.There is no discussion on what is fair.They are not allowed to text because I am not willing to pay the extra for it they also know that if I get a call from the school that their phones were taken that.
A-I will go pick it up
B-kiss it goodbye until I say otherwise
C-there will be punishment when they get home

I send my kids to school to learn ,not as an extension of their social network and they know this and do not argue that fact.They also know that their grades or lack of will also determine their phone and social rights.

Now that being said I have to brag a bit as a proud parent,my kids do great in school and in social life,they treat others with respect especially their elders.Both of my kids go to church by their own choice and I am always getting compliments on what good kids they are.I allow my kids a lot of privileges,but trust me they have earned and continue to earn them everyday.

Now to the other adults here with kids,we are the reason our kids either make it or fail.Some of us are of the Dr.Spock mindset that kids are adults in little bodies that is a crap statement.Kids are just that kids it is up to us as parents to mold them into responsible adults,it is not the schools job to be teacher and parent.School is not an 8 hour babysitter while we work.
Schools also need to be a proactive part of a child's life,if by peer review a teacher is found lacking in ability then tenure be darned they need to be removed from the teaching profession.
As for calling one of my kids at school hmmm it will never happen,I have called the school and have asked them to bring them to the school phone.If it is a situation that requires me to pick them up I arrive at the school and check them out after telling the school officials why I am doing so.

aristo i respect you in how you run things @ your own house...its your choice and i dont really know how your kids are so its all ur call imho... now with that being said i think cell phone policies at public schools are becoming out of hand...terribly out of hand... for example...at my school if your phone were to just fall out of your pocket and a teacher sees it you have to have a parent come pick it up for you at the front office... the second time this happens they can keep my phone for a "month" and the third time is until the end of the school year...now...do you really think that they are going to keep my phone for a year? no... because if my phone were to fall out of my pocket id pick it up and drive myself home and tell my parents because they are not going to pay for a cell phone bill for me to have and it be at the school locked up for the remainder of the year... for christ sake i cant even have my phone out during lunch without having to hide it... im not a child i can more than handle myself in not sitting there all period texting people like an idiot... i simply check my phone when i have the chance(aka when my work is done) in any class when i think i have a text from my parents/brothers involving what i might have to do after school and such now your argument might be that it can wait to be checked until after school is over but my argument to that is well why should i have to wait until the end of school to know what i need to do? there is no point in me not being able to use my phone after im done with my work... and yes i am in all honors and ap classes currently and i hold a solid 3.75-4.0 gpa at any given time... you think my phone affects this at all? no it does not because i once again check it when its not going to interrupt my work... the ONLY problem with cell phones in schools is that they "think" they have the power to control me using my phone in class when in all actuality they have no power to do so because i refused to sign the piece of paper for my schools policies on phones... thats all i can do... my problem is that they make these policies and dont even listen to any of the people that are even in the classes themselves such as myself... they just assume that we would sit there and text all the time when in actuality most people wouldnt and the ones that do, punish them not the ones that arnt doing anything wrong. They dont realize that my phone can be used for educational purposes either... i mean my phone can translate words for me in spanish if i want, i can google a few things for my biology class if im having a hard time understanding it so i dont get completely lost in a lecture just because i dont understand one thing, and in math i can google formulas that i might have forgotten & use my scientific calculator for things such as logarithms and other problems... all they are doing is looking at the minuses instead of looking at the pluses thats my problem...

edit: forgot to mention... talking on a cell phone IN class? wth man really thats just dumb i mean texting bothers no one but you as long is your phone is on silent (not vibrate its annoying to some people) if it was that important... please just leave the classroom like a sensible person... and btw... i dont wanna hear another word from someone about "using phones in class is just disrespectful" how is that disrespectful unless your talking ON the phone thats different i understand that as ive stated above but if im just checking my email or something get over it you cant sit there and tell me you haven't been in a meeting or something and checked a text/email in it or at lease been working and hear your phone go off and check it... how is this any different from sitting in a classroom and doing your work and stopping for 5 seconds to check a text or email? its not so just stop.... even my teachers will check their phones in class if they arnt teaching or something there is no reason to not use your phone when you are perfectly capable of doing so

Last edited:
aristo i respect you in how you run things @ your own house...its your choice and i dont really know how your kids are so its all ur call imho... now with that being said i think cell phone policies at public schools are becoming out of hand...terribly out of hand... for example...at my school if your phone were to just fall out of your pocket and a teacher sees it you have to have a parent come pick it up for you at the front office... the second time this happens they can keep my phone for a "month" and the third time is until the end of the school year...now...do you really think that they are going to keep my phone for a year? no... because if my phone were to fall out of my pocket id pick it up and drive myself home and tell my parents because they are not going to pay for a cell phone bill for me to have and it be at the school locked up for the remainder of the year... for christ sake i cant even have my phone out during lunch without having to hide it... im not a child i can more than handle myself in not sitting there all period texting people like an idiot... i simply check my phone when i have the chance(aka when my work is done) in any class when i think i have a text from my parents/brothers involving what i might have to do after school and such now your argument might be that it can wait to be checked until after school is over but my argument to that is well why should i have to wait until the end of school to know what i need to do? there is no point in me not being able to use my phone after im done with my work... and yes i am in all honors and ap classes currently and i hold a solid 3.75-4.0 gpa at any given time... you think my phone affects this at all? no it does not because i once again check it when its not going to interrupt my work... the ONLY problem with cell phones in schools is that they "think" they have the power to control me using my phone in class when in all actuality they have no power to do so because i refused to sign the piece of paper for my schools policies on phones... thats all i can do... my problem is that they make these policies and dont even listen to any of the people that are even in the classes themselves such as myself... they just assume that we would sit there and text all the time when in actuality most people wouldnt and the ones that do, punish them not the ones that arnt doing anything wrong. They dont realize that my phone can be used for educational purposes either... i mean my phone can translate words for me in spanish if i want, i can google a few things for my biology class if im having a hard time understanding it so i dont get completely lost in a lecture just because i dont understand one thing, and in math i can google formulas that i might have forgotten & use my scientific calculator for things such as logarithms and other problems... all they are doing is looking at the minuses instead of looking at the pluses thats my problem...

Sadly we are in an age of Zero Tolerance. While there are students such as yourself that would not abuse it, there are others that would spend all day playing with it and not paying any attention. I do agree tho, your time should in fact be your time. In between classes and lunch should not be regulated time. If you are late to class as a result than sure you should get in trouble, but not if you are checking email or facebook at lunch.

Fortunately I have a job that noone cares what I do, so i can play as much as I like...but these rules you speak of are very much the same in most places of business....so get used to it. It sucks, but until you work for yourself you have to deal.

gentlefury, i agree with you that most workplaces dont allow you to have your phones out such as if your working at a supermarket you should be focused on helping people or if your at a construction job your just dumb if your using your phone (no offense to anyone that does) because that would be a job in my opinion that all of your attention should be ON your job or others could be harmed.. now if your sitting in a cubical or if your sitting behind a desk typing a paper or writing a letter i HIGHLY doubt they have a problem with you pulling out your phone for 2 seconds... now if you sat there all day on it i see them having a problem with it but otherwise i doubt it

gentlefury, i agree with you that most workplaces dont allow you to have your phones out such as if your working at a supermarket you should be focused on helping people or if your at a construction job your just dumb if your using your phone (no offense to anyone that does) because that would be a job in my opinion that all of your attention should be ON your job or others could be harmed.. now if your sitting in a cubical or if your sitting behind a desk typing a paper or writing a letter i HIGHLY doubt they have a problem with you pulling out your phone for 2 seconds... now if you sat there all day on it i see them having a problem with it but otherwise i doubt it

Well I work on vfx for feature films, and I basically get left alone as long as my shots get done on time. But I have had many jobs where you can't even take your phone out for 2 seconds without getting chewed out.

yea thats basically the "job type" i was talking about the kind where they dont care how you handle what you do so long as you do it on time glad you got wat i was trying to say lol its a bit hard sometimes you know ;)

@Houndstooth, I personally view school as a more laid back kinda thing, compared to a job place (what with classes migrating to be online and stuff, plus, I think eventually teachers are going to become obsolete in a few decades time). Tbh, you are the customer at a school. You are buying knowledge. Once you are in the class, you have already paid the teacher their salary. However, some schools (if not all, I don't know fully) pay some sort of 'commission' based on how well their classes do (passing rates, etc), If they are gonna kick you out of the class for having a phone, they need to provide solid proof that its causing a disruption, such as lower grades, and other students physically not paying attention, or complaining about the phone-wielding student.

What I'm trying to say is, not allowing phones in class is an archaic, conservative-type rule, that really doesn't have any need in our time. Texting in class is just as distracting (if not, less than!) talking to a person next to you, and most classes I have been in allowed discussion between students during class.

You may argue that there is a difference between texting your friend about what you're gonna do after school, and talking to another student about relative classroom material, but that's not the point, the point here is distraction. Talking makes an audible noise, which to some students, can be distracting. Typing on a silenced phone is only distracting you if you are doing it at an inappropriate time in the classroom setting, such as during a lecture, but if the class is idle, as happens a lot of time, then I believe it shouldn't be completely out of line to want to say hey to your friends. Now, whether or not they respond, is based on whether or not they are in an appropriate time to respond, that is their issue, but if two classes are idle at the same time (trust me, it can happen!) I don't see why not.

My only response to this is until you are an adult (i am), you are legally required to attend school(am not). You do what they tell you, when they tell you to (assuming they aren't telling you to do something wrong). You play by their rules. The taxpayers as a whole are paying for you to be there(not at college), and we expect you to be learning(i can do both this, and...), NOT (this --->)texting your friends. End of story. It doesn't matter what YOU think(it does, and if you think otherwise, that's pretty wrong of you to think). Once you are an adult(which i am), you can make your own decisions(which i do), and face the consequences of your actions(again, which i do).

Answers in bold.

sorry for the late response btw.

Well you younger folks will not agree with this,but this is how it is in MY house.I have a 16 yo daughter and a 17 yo son they both have new eris's that I bought and I pay the bill on.Guess who makes the rules on how they are used?Me period.There is no discussion on what is fair.They are not allowed to text because I am not willing to pay the extra for it they also know that if I get a call from the school that their phones were taken that.
A-I will go pick it up
B-kiss it goodbye until I say otherwise
C-there will be punishment when they get home

I send my kids to school to learn ,not as an extension of their social network and they know this and do not argue that fact.They also know that their grades or lack of will also determine their phone and social rights.

Now that being said I have to brag a bit as a proud parent,my kids do great in school and in social life,they treat others with respect especially their elders.Both of my kids go to church by their own choice and I am always getting compliments on what good kids they are.I allow my kids a lot of privileges,but trust me they have earned and continue to earn them everyday.

Now to the other adults here with kids,we are the reason our kids either make it or fail.Some of us are of the Dr.Spock mindset that kids are adults in little bodies that is a crap statement.Kids are just that kids it is up to us as parents to mold them into responsible adults,it is not the schools job to be teacher and parent.School is not an 8 hour babysitter while we work.
Schools also need to be a proactive part of a child's life,if by peer review a teacher is found lacking in ability then tenure be darned they need to be removed from the teaching profession.
As for calling one of my kids at school hmmm it will never happen,I have called the school and have asked them to bring them to the school phone.If it is a situation that requires me to pick them up I arrive at the school and check them out after telling the school officials why I am doing so.

110% Agreement. Well said.

There is a time and place for texting. During a lecture or while taking notes I listen to my instructor because believe it or not the education that we are receiving is an investment, the best part is that its FREE! After the lecture is done we are usually given our assignment, I finish this and because there is time left in the class period and everyone else is still working I get on my phone. I could talk to those around me but I think that that would be a much greater distraction. Cell phones are useful tools, but they should be used responsibly. I can understand the situation from both positions, students want to be able to talk with there friends during classes it seems to me that they have always found ways to do this before texting it was passing notes, parents and teachers want to be able to ensure that a good education is provided to students and during a lecture the usage of a cellphone can be a distraction. Cell phones can be used in school but in moderation.

CNN: A schoolgirl in Saudi Arabia was sentenced to 90 lashes and two months in prison for assaulting her headmistress after a confrontation over a cell phone.

Kinda puts things in perspective. You think you have it bad huh? :)

Exactly... OMG my teacher took my phone during my high school class in the best and richest country on earth, I couldnt send high tech messages for a while and was worried about my device getting broken and someone else paying ofr a new one.

This is all about maturity, which the OP obviously lacks.

Should just calmly tell her to put down the $600 phone .. please ...

hehe XD hope she gets the help she needs.

yeah please.. jeez. im sure your dumb teacher doesn't even know what Droid is... swinging it like a brick to kill students

CNN: A schoolgirl in Saudi Arabia was sentenced to 90 lashes and two months in prison for assaulting her headmistress after a confrontation over a cell phone.

Kinda puts things in perspective. You think you have it bad huh? :)

Exactly... OMG my teacher took my phone during my high school class in the best and richest country on earth, I couldnt send high tech messages for a while and was worried about my device getting broken and someone else paying ofr a new one.

This is all about maturity, which the OP obviously lacks.

That was a completely unwarranted attack on OP. From what I can remember, he did not say any of those things, and has proven that he is a fairly intelligent person.

Also, I don't get why that is relevant. When did this turn into a 'who has it worse' competition?

Back