Teacher had a panic attack with MY DROID in her hand

I have to admit that I have not read the previous 2 or 3 pages. I don't have to. I hear it all day long. Twelve years of teaching in public high school with so many stories of failure can almost make you scream. I would say cry, but I don't do that. Sure, there are those students who can text all day and graduate, but that is not the norm. Any texting teen who thinks they can do a better job of teaching, come on down. I'm sure there are some out there. Seriously, feel free to join the teaching profession and help where the help is needed.

I know there are teachers out there who need to retire or find another job, but there really aren't that many candidates knocking on the door to replace them. Texting in class is a problem for a lot of students. At a minimum it wastes the teacher's time and it is rude.

What I find ridiculous about all of these arguments from older people saying kids these days have no respect, is the amount of hypocrisy.

All of you "older" people posting on here act as if you were perfect little students who never, EVER, did anything but sit in class and listen. Nope, didn't happen. Not everyone here posting was that one kid in each class that sat there. You may have talked to your classmates, skipped class, doodled and didn't pay attention the slightest bit, and if you had a phone, you certainly would have taken it out.

From the stories I heard from my dad in high school, I would actually say students were more disrespectful then, they had less repercussions.

I like your reasoning. Therefore, because other people did it before you, its justified now.

;)

I remember I was in class once and my teacher was talking to me. She was going over the final project and then my cell phone rang. I looked at it and it was my mother. I told her to hold on a minute, Moms on the phone. It wasnt anything important and I was off the phone in a few minutes, but the teacher said that was very rude and later used it as an excuse to mark my grade down. That and my repeated txting during class. Thing is, I barely ever paid attention in there and neither did anyone else. Some people were on their laptops, on Facebook, it was an all around boring class and we learned nothing. She didn't teach, she handed us assignments to help out her friends. No one really respected her. I know this is a horrible example but my point is this and I stick to it. Thats my mother, I dont care how disrespectful she thought it was. Mom doesnt just call me out of the blue during class hours, it mightve been important. So teacher can wait.

LMAO Back in your guys day, you wouldnt even come to class. How can you criticize a student for being on a cell phone in class. Atleast Im in class. Back in those days they wouldnt even call your house if you ditched. and you guys didnt even have the option of texting in class lmao. But Tell me this who does using my cellphone in class hurt? Not the Teacher. Not the students around me. It hurts me and its my choice to do it.

Especially in college. wtf. Im paying to text in class, so let me do it wtf.

Well considering back in my day was two years ago I think I did have the option, I had the original env during part of high school so texting wasnt exactly hard. And as far as who it hurts, I know if i was teaching the class and kids were doing other things it looks like no one cares what im doing and that they cant put down their phones for a half hour. Believe me I had a busy life in high school but nothing is THAT urgent. I never ditched so that wasnt an issue...sounds like your trying to be cool, you soudlnt want to do something thats going to **** you over....do you plan to go to college or just live off of my tax money the rest of your life.

to the OP - maybe you should post this story on the "case give away thread"...cause it might happen again. lol

I am a teacher and I make sure my students are doing work during their time in my class and not just sitting there talking.

If a cell phone goes off in class, I take it and answer it for them. Usually it's a friend (whom I probably have in another class or taught previously). It's great to hear them when you answer "Hi this is Mr. Schmidt why are you calling during my class" For some reason, they hang up quickly.

If they're using the phone in class, that's an "A" class violation. The phone is confiscated and their parents have to come to school and pick it up (I have been know to take pictures of myself and other teachers and make that their wallpaper).

One time a student called during class and his name came up on the phone. When he came into my class for 5th period, I asked him why he was calling so&so during 2nd period. The look of shock on his face was priceless (I told him I control the airwaves in my classroom and that's how I knew) :icon_ devil:

That's very strange and domineering behavior.

To take it to that extent is no where near necessary and can be considered excessive by the objective view

Wow that's not the response I thought my post would get. It's not "strange and domineering behavior". It's called consequences. Students are made aware of my cell phone policy and if they choose to not follow the rule, they know the consequence they will incur. So far this year I've only taken 3 phones (one was returned after class since it went off but she wan't using it in class and one parent grounded her daughter for using the cell in class)

As for the wallpaper picture, that's just my sense of humor. The kids get a kick out of it (although they do change the picture back)

Sorry you read such evil intentions

I wouldn't consider a 21 year old a kid nor would I consider one old. Its a matter of opinion oh wise one who understands all

Doesn't have anything to do with a number. More with the maturity level. Plenty of 21 y/o act like kids. Spoiled kids at that who think everything should be handed to them. Act like a kid and you get called a kid IMO. Not directed at you BTW.

And to you guys that are defending texting and phone use during class this is a perfect example of not pay attention. I could give two chits less if you texted or played with your phone all through high school and still graduated with honors. That just fits with the "all about me" self-centered attitude so many kids have these days. Just because it doesn't or didn't distract you doesn't mean it isn't distracting someone else. They may be too worried about checking out your phone or what yoou are doing with it to pay attention to what is going on. I have a son who is ADD and he has a hard enough time focusing without games, texts and calls disrupting the class.

Sorry but there is nothing that important that it can't wait until a break, lunch or after school. If mom or dad needs to get hold of you in an emergency situation I am sure they know how to call the school.

to the OP - maybe you should post this story on the "case give away thread"...cause it might happen again. lol

LMAO I should do that.

I am a teacher and I make sure my students are doing work during their time in my class and not just sitting there talking.

If a cell phone goes off in class, I take it and answer it for them. Usually it's a friend (whom I probably have in another class or taught previously). It's great to hear them when you answer "Hi this is Mr. Schmidt why are you calling during my class" For some reason, they hang up quickly.

If they're using the phone in class, that's an "A" class violation. The phone is confiscated and their parents have to come to school and pick it up (I have been know to take pictures of myself and other teachers and make that their wallpaper).

One time a student called during class and his name came up on the phone. When he came into my class for 5th period, I asked him why he was calling so&so during 2nd period. The look of shock on his face was priceless (I told him I control the airwaves in my classroom and that's how I knew) :icon_ devil:

That's very strange and domineering behavior.

To take it to that extent is no where near necessary and can be considered excessive by the objective view

Wow that's not the response I thought my post would get. It's not "strange and domineering behavior". It's called consequences. Students are made aware of my cell phone policy and if they choose to not follow the rule, they know the consequence they will incur. So far this year I've only taken 3 phones (one was returned after class since it went off but she wan't using it in class and one parent grounded her daughter for using the cell in class)

As for the wallpaper picture, that's just my sense of humor. The kids get a kick out of it (although they do change the picture back)

Sorry you read such evil intentions

I had a teacher who did stuff like that last semester and he took my bestfriend's phone but it was locked and the Teacher kept trying to unlock it till it completely locked him out, and in the end my bestfriend's dad punched him in the face..

I had a teacher who did stuff like that last semester and he took my bestfriend's phone but it was locked and the Teacher kept trying to unlock it till it completely locked him out, and in the end my bestfriend's dad punched him in the face..

So the lesson learned is violence is the answer? :rolleyes:

So the lesson learned is violence is the answer? :rolleyes:

Never said that. but I mean he didn't have the right to mess with his phone like that. and got what he was asking for. and that Teacher has been fired since then for a similar but different situation.

phone in class huh? i didn't even get a phone until i was 16 (driving and might need it in an emergency), and the same will be true for my kid(s). maybe. well whatever, the same SHOULD be true now..

having said that, if anyone started waving my droid around like a crazy person, they would have a lot of explaining to do after regaining consciousness.

The irony of all of this is that my 6 year old daughter has a cell phone. Even she is intelligent enough not to take it out during class ;)

Back