Theming Guide for changing system text settings.

Mbk.. I tell ya what burns my chaps (keeping it family oriented..lol) When an app recompiles and such perfectly fine and then FC's on my phone. That ever happen to you? Seems like if it ain't gonna work on my phone, it shouldnt work on APK manager as well.
LOL... yeah, especially when working on thew Vending.apk you remember...lmao... and just last night when I was tinkering with the gmail.apk for stetsonaw because he wanted blue text instead of white....but it would FC on me one time then overwrite install just fine the next, then FC on the next install...I was like WTH!?...lmao
I got too tired and Andy gonna ask EC since you guys work more with those apps...
What errors are you getting? I have never not been able to decompile a framework?

Sent just before I "Blacked Out"
That's what I was thinking... and I think he meant can't recompile

C:\android\tools\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res\values\public.xml:3892: error: Public symbol drawable/zzzzz_tw_quickcontact_slider_grip_right declared here is not defined.
C:\android\tools\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res\values\public.xml:3893: error: Public symbol drawable/zzzzz_tw_quickcontact_top_frame declared here is not defined.
Exception in thread "main" brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec command: [aapt, p, -F, C:\Users\deciple\AppData\Local\Temp\APKTOOL4947772698808845272.tmp, -x, -S, C:\android\tools\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res, -M, C:\android\tools\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\AndroidManifest.xml]
at brut.androlib.res.AndrolibResources.aaptPackage(Unknown Source)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResourcesFull(Unknown Source)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResources(Unknown Source)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Unknown Source)
at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Unknown Source)
at brut.apktool.Main.cmdBuild(Unknown Source)
at brut.apktool.Main.main(Unknown Source)
Caused by: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec command: [aapt, p, -F, C:\Users\deciple\AppData\Local\Temp\APKTOOL4947772698808845272.tmp, -x, -S, C:\android\tools\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\res, -M, C:\android\tools\other\..\projects\framework-res.apk\AndroidManifest.xml]
at brut.util.OS.exec(Unknown Source)

Thats the bottom half of it, but yeah about the .9 pngs.
It decompiles fine, recompiling is where I run into the snag.
Haven't tried swapping the drawables for decompilation though, I'll give that a try.
And what's above that?... no .9.png errors?

If that's the only two images that are causing the recompile issues, then all you need to do is replace those with unbroken .9.png images of those..... or just drag those two images into draw9patch and create/fix the guides then save them back to that decompiled folder that the images were in but now as .9.png overwriting the reference .9.png and deleting the plain .png of those images... choose your method, both will work...;)...lol

yeah...........way at the top, I just tried the replacing the drawables method and it compiled w/o errors.............might be making progress here.
My next question is what exactly do I change or type, to make something transparent?
ok what I mean is in order to make the background of an app transparent do I simply find the point and type transparent?

yeah...........way at the top, I just tried the replacing the drawables method and it compiled w/o errors.............might be making progress here.
My next question is what exactly do I change or type, to make something transparent?
ok what I mean is in order to make the background of an app transparent do I simply find the point and type transparent?

Easiest way is, once you find the XML of what background you want transparent, and changing that code to #00000000.....

Your also going to have to change the theme of the app to theme.wallpaper in certain areas. If it doesn't know to show your wallpaper making things transparent you will just end up with a black background

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Easiest way is, once you find the XML of what background you want transparent, and changing that code to #00000000.....

Ok, great, what about colorizing the transparency? Or is the opacity 0%?

Last edited:

Ok, great, what about colorizing the transparency? Or is the opacity 0%?

That'd be on PNGs... coloring to alpha in a graphics editor

I seee, Yeeeahhh..... Gee you guys & this intire thread has bee exceptionally helpful. Thanks..... I'm gonna delete the error log now cause it's a waste of space......

Without pulling it open, the backgrounds are usually in the res/values/drawables folder.

Unfortunately, at the moment, when you change a decompiled xml in vending the apps install but vending immediately fc's. We are looking into this. I have vending completely themed, but it fc's once a downloaded app installs. The apps work fine, but kinda annoying.

snap20100815_131235.png
Soooo..................exactly which xml and what was the name that was changed to get this transparent appearance?

Jatx2wne already made a transparent market.....

Sent just before I "Blacked Out"

Deciple... in additions to changing things to #00000000 in the xmls for backgrounds.. and each app is different in that regard as to where they are and how many there are, you also need to edit the androidmanifest and styles to point to theme.wallpaper (in most cases) so that the app knows what to show when you make everything transparent.

as far as which styles? You can edit anything man, as long as the code is right, it's fine. Just check your error log after you recompile.

your really helpful Xkape, I like that about you, I'm having problems with force closes in the settings, Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, nothing shows up in the error log,
Here's what I'm doing.........
I'm pulling the framework-res.apk and decompiling it, then I edit which styles I wanna change followed by compiling (This next step I've tried both ways)
a. hit yes for system,then yes to delete the edited xmls,asrc,folders I modified etc....
b.hit yes for system then no to delete
then I signed in both cases.
Then I put the new apk in a update .zip to flash.
I also tried putting just the new resource file in the old apk.
Can you tell me what I'm missing here?

Last edited:
Back