Tips to Help Improve Battery Life on ThunderBolt

Bump charge is not worth it you get MINIMAL gain and i mean.. def not much at all..and it absolutly kills your battery

Can you explain your theory further please, be more specific as to your reasoning, and maybe provide some links or evidence? The method I outlined originally came from an HTC representative, and people appear to be having varying levels of success with it all over different forums. Its not supposed to work miracles in gains (every little bit helps), but how does it "absolutely kill" your battery? Thanks.
yea i know from exp and have read a article let me try to find it
i looked real quick couldnt find it.... and im at work right now if i find it ill post it tho but on my touch pro 2 ive had for 2 years and from my exp you gain a little bit of life. but after a couple months the battery wont hold a charge and will drain really fast so i stoped doing it and the amount of time you actually gain is unknown and not much longer at all... again from my own experience..

hey i didn't read thru all the pages for this thread, just in case someone else mentioned it but yea... check this out... HTC Thunderbolt test menu exposes missing 4G / 3G switch -- Engadget Mobile

this helps u switch off 4G, but still keep 3G on.. i noticed an extra 5 -6 hours of battery life.. (when I'm not using my phone i'd turn it to 3G only, so your still getting text messages and emails)

you can either dial.. *#*#4636#*#* and that will take u to the phone setting to flip it or u can download the app called Network by Philipp Mangelow. that will take u directly to that setting, so u don't have to continue to dial in it.

and just make a widget on ur home screen. takes a total of 5 seconds to switch it.. but you'll get an extra 5 - 6 hrs.

Turning off the Blockbuster app significantly improved my battery life. I am definitely going to be rooting and installing a ROM on my phone soon. Need to get rid of the bloat.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Do any other phone batteries fit in the TB. I think the mytouch fits, but any others?

sent from my Thunderbolt

I just got my bolt yesterday. But I do believe I will be doing the bump method. I have another battery on order from seidio as well.

This article does suggest both theories are valid though. Lol. Maybe someone already posted this link lol. I now see same chart couple posts up. Whoops

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=871051

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am trying to do the bump method and I am on my 7th or 8th charge and it still does not go to green on first plug in. Any ideas?
Bump charge is not worth it you get MINIMAL gain and i mean.. def not much at all..and it absolutly kills your battery

15%-20% minimal?

http://byrong.com/PowerTesting/corrected.png

- Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts of Android.
in the same article your quoteing it says it.. and as sum1 posted above but ive done it and if u dont want to listen well ok... ive learned my lesson and just bought a second reg battery and take it with me its alot smaller that the extended and i dont always need it and the time it takes to do the bump charge its not worth it your battery will start to suck then u will be forced to buy several other batterys.. but you guys can do whatever your more comfortable with your grown folks lol.. my advice is just get a second battery and thoes 2 will last you your whole contract.. and trust me u dont get 15-20% more

Just my $.02 worth. I got my TB on Monday and had ordered the extended battery. Over the weekend I was really happy about the big battery. When I got it I put the big battery on. I don't mind the extra size, but I thought after I finish all the setting up and playing maybe I could use the small battery. Also with the big battery I left the brightness on auto and the only other "battery saver" thing I did was the Blockbuster deal. I use my phone for business and pleasure. I get a few emails and calls and texts a day. Some days are more than others. Today was about average. I don't know where to go to get the breakdown of usage either. I leave the phone charging all night and turn on at 5:45 AM. It is now 4PM Maui time and my extended battery is showing 56% left. I am sure on the little battery it would be dead by now. My thought is if this phone has heavy business, the only good option is the big battery. I don't want to change batteries during the day if I can help it. I am staying with the big battery and the little guy as a back up. For reference I am coming form a Storm 2 and I only had two regular batteries. There were days that I would need to use the back up battery. It really is an extended battery phone if you want to use everything IMHO.
Aloha.
progress.gif

Last edited:
Battery Life (Think I'm on to something)

Think I have stumbled on something here. I have been a major complainer regarding battery life over the past few days. Over the last 2 hours my battery won't budge. I downloaded Powermax and Startup Cleaner 2.0. Powermax it's set on standard setting.

Prior to these 2 apps my phone would drop 10 plus percent per hour. Now with 4G I dropped 4% in about 2 hours. Hoping some of you try this out and report back here.

Sent with my Thunderbolt via DroidForums App

what exactly do u use these apps for? I will probably try them cause my battery is moving quick.

Think I have stumbled on something here. I have been a major complainer regarding battery life over the past few days. Over the last 2 hours my battery won't budge. I downloaded Powermax and Startup Cleaner 2.0. Powermax it's set on standard setting.

Prior to these 2 apps my phone would drop 10 plus percent per hour. Now with 4G I dropped 4% in about 2 hours. Hoping some of you try this out and report back here.

have you had any of these 3g 1x 4g handoff issues???????????

I may give them a try. On this subject, does anyone know what's up with Juice Defender? I read somewhere that the premium version did not work with the Thunderbolt, but I don't think the free version does either. I enable it and it seems to start. When I go back to check it it has been disabled. Am I missing a step or something? It looks good and as though the developer spent a lot of time on it. I uninstalled it, but wanted to give it a try too.

Startup Cleaner, is that an app killer? I've heard those are pretty useless. Have you tried Powermax by itself? I'm going to go with Powermax alone at first.

have you had any of these 3g 1x 4g handoff issues???????????

None at all. The area i'm in holds a pretty steady 4G. I was having steady battery drain using WIFI.

What i did find with Startup Cleaner though was 17 apps running. Applied all of them to Cleaner, and rebooted my phone. 2 hours later with heavy use I drained 5% battery. At 1st glance i thought there was a problem with my phone not registering battery consumption, but that wasn't the case. I have 8 widgets running on all 7 screens and have them set to update every 2-4 hours depending on the widget.

I'm having nice battery over 3g. 11hrs at 41%.

Also have anyone of you rooters think about underclocking to 700mhz? I'm wondering how much battery this would save, I think it would still be pretty speedy too.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I may give them a try. On this subject, does anyone know what's up with Juice Defender? I read somewhere that the premium version did not work with the Thunderbolt, but I don't think the free version does either. I enable it and it seems to start. When I go back to check it it has been disabled. Am I missing a step or something? It looks good and as though the developer spent a lot of time on it. I uninstalled it, but wanted to give it a try too.

Startup Cleaner, is that an app killer? I've heard those are pretty useless. Have you tried Powermax by itself? I'm going to go with Powermax alone at first.

Powermax by itself made very little difference. I've been running that since yesterday afternoon with very little increasy in battery life. Something running in the background that Startup cleaner killed is what made all the difference in the world. What ever was killing my battery was killing it damn fast. If I was using my phone for any period of time i would watch the battery drop every couple of minutes.

Here is the difference so far. Unplugged phone at 2:57 pm. By 6:15 when i arrived to dinner it was at 41% with moderate use. It is now 8:40 and i'm still at 36%. This is all in 4G with no changes to my setup and update intervals.

Last edited:
Back