Tips to Help Improve Battery Life on ThunderBolt

At my local Verizon store I was told that they had gotten 9 returned Thunderbolts in the last 3 days. And my friend returned his also to his local Verizon they tried to talk him into getting a bigger battery but he told them it will be to bulky and loose its sleekness. This battery problem is huge issue.

Got the 2750 with the phone last week and never looked back. The back is only slightly thinker through the middle and it adds a bit of weight. I actually like the feel. It goes all day and then some. If I am using nav I have it plugged it but otherwise its perfect. It's an extended battery world we live in.

Got the 2750 with the phone last week and never looked back. The back is only slightly thinker through the middle and it adds a bit of weight. I actually like the feel. It goes all day and then some. If I am using nav I have it plugged it but otherwise its perfect. It's an extended battery world we live in.

You are exactly right and until these people on here crying about battery issues realize it they will continue struggle
sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using droid forums app

I love this phone. I was at a meeting today with a business partner of mine today and he couldn't get a connection through his blackberry tether...imagine that. So I whipped out the tb and threw it up on the table and he was getting 10/10 on the Hotspot. WebEx = success for him.

i must be lucky or something because my thunderbolt's battery life and usage is better than my D1... i got 15hrs+ on a single charge last night and i still had 20% battery remaining before i hooked it back up on the charger... and this was with moderate use and in between 3g/4g/wifi networks

i have a feeling some of the people that returned their TBs were syncing every app available, had the brightness above 50%, and was constantly using their device til it ran out of juice... then complained about short batt. life

Did ur batteries get better as u charged it more? Im just curious, because I'm on my first charge right now, and I swear if I leave the screen on or I am browsing that battery level drops 1% every minute, or FASTER. Left my house at 1120 (1hr 20 min ago) with battery of 75%. I drove for 20 mins so no use, stopped, browsed a little, texted twice, downloaded swype (which didnt take long at all), activated it, texted one more and then got home and it's 1240 now. The battery is 61%. When the phone was idle it was fine, but as soon as I turned it on to use the battery just FLEW.

I may give them a try. ......
Startup Cleaner, is that an app killer? I've heard those are pretty useless. Have you tried Powermax by itself? I'm going to go with Powermax alone at first.

Powermax by itself made very little difference. I've been running that since yesterday afternoon with very little increasy in battery life. Something running in the background that Startup cleaner killed is what made all the difference in the world. What ever was killing my battery was killing it damn fast. If I was using my phone for any period of time i would watch the battery drop every couple of minutes.

Here is the difference so far. Unplugged phone at 2:57 pm. By 6:15 when i arrived to dinner it was at 41% with moderate use. It is now 8:40 and i'm still at 36%. This is all in 4G with no changes to my setup and update intervals.

With Powermax set to maximum I lose my network connectivity. Well the 4G symbol went away and nothing replaced it. This would really be neat if it would toggle 3G on. What does it do exactly I wonder? I tried running the speed test and got the message "could not connect to the network...". My phone still works though, I had my wife call me.

Battery Drain while phone turned off

Hey i noticed something that i definitely didnt think was right about my TB. I had a couple flights today and i noticed that while i had my phone turned off while on the plane... my phone was draining battery. When i got on the Plane leaving Vegas... i turned my phone off with 87%... when i turned it back on when i arrived in Houston after a 2 1/2 hour flight and i had only 62% after an hour layover before my next flight i shut my phone off with 33%... after another 2 1/2 hour flight to Philly i turned my phone on and i was down to 12% battery. Now im not expert but i am pretty sure that is not supposed to happen while the phone is turned off..... i was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything else like this. I have had the phone since it was released i bought it out in Vegas to see how fast the 4G while in vegas and it was fast... but my friends house is outside of Vegas and it only picked up 3G. What i have noticed (as im sure everyone else has) 4g kills the battery... 3g seems to let it last a lil longer.. I live in Delaware and i arrived home today so im gonna test it out this week and then purchase the Extended battery and try it out before my 14 day period is up to see if this phone is right for me... i LOVE the phone its a major step up for the D1.. but if the battery doesnt last or if the extended battery is just to big then im gonna have to return it and either try and get my Upgrade back and just reactivate my D1... and wait for the Bionic to come out since it will have 1950mah battery in it and Motorola seems to know how to but decent batterys in there phone or I may try the Iphone since i can upgrade again this summer anyway. But let me know if any of you have experienced this draining of battery while the phone is turned off. Thanks

Ok I installed both apps and battery is still flying.......was at 85% at exactly 12:00am now an hour later I'm at 65% and and all I've been doing is browsing forums, rearranging apps, and Facebook chat.

W T F ???!!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

After "restart" on phone (through power button) lost battery, went from 60 to 51....hmmmmmmmm this phone is fishyyyyyyyy now I know why they took their time to release it. Hopefully an update fixes some of these problems.

Did ur batteries get better as u charged it more? Im just curious, because I'm on my first charge right now, and I swear if I leave the screen on or I am browsing that battery level drops 1% every minute, or FASTER. Left my house at 1120 (1hr 20 min ago) with battery of 75%. I drove for 20 mins so no use, stopped, browsed a little, texted twice, downloaded swype (which didnt take long at all), activated it, texted one more and then got home and it's 1240 now. The battery is 61%. When the phone was idle it was fine, but as soon as I turned it on to use the battery just FLEW.

yeah it did progressively get better as i kept charging the phone, i feel like right now its going to be as good as it gets... my battery did seems to drain quicker when i first got it... i got my tb on opening day, after about the 4th day my battery life extended noticeably

give the thunderbolt a chance.. give it a few days, also bump charging mine before i start the day noticeably helped... i also deactivated my twitter/facebook acct on friendstream, set my brightness between 20%-30% which is more than enough for viewing pleasure indoors unless your directly hitting the sun, and i toggle off my 4G when i hit areas where the 3 and 4g radios fight for control.. im confident with my settings and heavy usage throughout the day it would last me at LEAST a min. of 7hours no problem... like i said earlier i got 15+ hours on light to medium usage in one day and had 20% left to spare

edit: keep in mind you should check your guys 4g signal.. if its bouncing back and forth from 3g and 1x you need to toggle it off until you hit an area thats got better coverage for 4g, or out of 4g coverage completely or else you will run the battery dry within a few hours... also try bump charging and see if that helps... im able to charge my battery another 15-20min after the light turns green

Last edited:
And...... When I disable background data in sync settings it says battery life will improve but WTF that has to be enabled just to browse the market?????

yeah it did progressively get better as i kept charging the phone, i feel like right now its going to be as good as it gets... my battery did seems to drain quicker when i first got it... i got my tb on opening day, after about the 4th day my battery life extended noticeably

give the thunderbolt a chance.. give it a few days, also bump charging mine before i start the day noticeably helped... i also deactivated my twitter/facebook acct on friendstream, set my brightness between 20%-30% which is more than enough for viewing pleasure indoors unless your directly hitting the sun, and i toggle off my 4G when i hit areas where the 3 and 4g radios fight for control.. im confident with my settings and heavy usage throughout the day it would last me at LEAST a min. of 7hours no problem... like i said earlier i got 15+ hours on light to medium usage in one day and had 20% left to spare

Cool, that's what I thought. Bump charging also kills your battery over time though doesn't it? I read that somewhere, although in the short run it helps in the long run it will hurt your battery. But maybe I'll try it. I don't have any widgets, I have power control widget and the stock clock/weather/alarm with the flipping clock. Those are my only two widgets. Everything else I've set up to save battery.

And...... When I disable background data in sync settings it says battery life will improve but WTF that has to be enabled just to browse the market?????

I did that also, and when I went to market and it asked me to turn it on I just left that option on. I have everything else off sync though.

Back