Update failed?!

droidxd00d

Reaction score
Just tried to apply the Ota update and it keeps failing on me. I am unrooted but i had previously applied the 5.7.xxx update but then i used the 4ever root to go back to stock for the ota update. Can anyon help me? Data drops have been pretty bad lately...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Were you rooted at one time? If so did you freeze or delete any Apps? My update was successful and I am rooted. And I kept root after the update.

No I have never rooted i think i got rid of lets golf but thats it. Do I need it?

You might? I think these updates sometimes need the original Apps to patch on to and if the apps aren't there the update can fail. I hope someone else will chime in that knows more about how they work.

Do you know where i can get lets golf 2? I cant find it in the market

I checked the market also with no luck. You might try a google search of "let's golf 2 android download".

If I'm not mistaken if you have previously flashed one of the leaked updates, then you won't be able to successfully install the real OTA.

Having the same trouble... on 5.5.5886

assert failed :apply_patch_check("system/bin/dnsmasq...
...e:error in tmp/sideload/package.zip
status 7 install aborted

Last edited:
No I have never rooted i think i got rid of lets golf but thats it. Do I need it?

...same problem. I am rooted though, but never applied any leaked updates / and recently did a factory reset so no frozen bloat. Only thing I did do is uninstall Lets Golf 2 as well, but it lets you uninstall that regardless of root or stock so it doesn't make any sense why that would be causing the update to fail...hmm...

Edit/Update: Scratch that, I resloved my error. Update successfully applied! Had nothing to do with Let's Golf 2. My Install failed had to do with me uninstalling the factory installed swype and installing a newer swype beta (forgot all about doing that). Managed to get the original files from a user in another forum since my Titanium Backup of swype wasn't installing the swype.apk in the system/apps folder which was causing the update to fail when it saw it missing.

Note to you guys having trouble, if you click "install later" after downloading, then go into "cache" and copy the update file onto your sd card, you can try to apply the update from the recovery console screen and it'll tell you exactly what's causing the update to fail. That's how i figured out it was my swype.apk causing the issue.

Last edited:
Still failing. Restored the original Swype, and it was definitely restored into the /system/app directory.

I am having the same issue as well guys. Would very much like to apply this new update to fix the data bugs and headphone noise.

Update worked but lost Root!?

I "successfully" ran the OTA update just moments ago at 12:30pm and it failed at first. Then I defrosted all my bloat frozen apps (yes mine was rooted) re-ran the update and it installed.

However now I lost root! And I'm scared I wont be able to re-root it now???

Any thoughts people? Hope everyone else has good luck with this update cuz if anything it made me loose functionality! :mad:

I have the stock rom in a .tar at home. I can extract the Apk when I get home.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I call shenanigans on TylerDurden
I lost root after the update, I can't see how you wouldn't I even tried to root it again after and it does not succeed. Not trying to be accusatory, I have respect for you guys. I'm just pissed I lost root :angry:
Any hope to get it back? Anyone have any suggestions? I know Verizon likely patched the exploit used to gain root on the Bionic as it was when we each bought one before this update. Are we screwed now if we lost root?

...I am unrooted but i had previously applied the 5.7.xxx update but then i used the 4ever root to go back to stock for the ota update. Can anyon help me?

you changed the kernel when you flashed the 5.7.893 update, currently there is no way to get it back to stock and that is why your update fails installation.

@lasermole there are plenty of other people around here who have flashed the OTA and kept root access. It seems to be hit or miss.

Back