Update failed?!

I was really trying to avoid returning to stock. I'll lose all my apps and settings :(.

I was using titanium backup as a backup tool in case my phone croacked suddenly. I had titanium backup setup to do a weekly backup of "all user apps + system data" but apparently that's not all encompassing.

During my research to fix my issue I found a program called "Bionic Bootstrapper". I installed it and have now performed a backup. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until now that my titanium backups weren't backing up everything I had.

I'm now debating with myself whether to reset the droid to stock or just wait until ice cream sandwich comes out, and then reset to stock and install the updates. Basically, I'm debating the value of the update for me. I haven't had very many problems with my phone before, so I'm not sure if I really want to reset my phone to stock just to install an update when ICS will be here in a month(from what I've heard anyway).

there is a program that will allow you to pull the app backups and associated data from your nandroid backup that you made in bootstrap. I forget what the name of it is, but do a little digging and you will find it.

what isn't TiBu updating that you were expecting it to?
I never use TiBu to restore anything but Apps and their data, between switching roms all the time and messing w/ other things restoring backups can go very wrong if you restore system info that was not made in that rom.

I have never had any issues w/ TiBu restoring games and data, I was able to get all of my game data moved over from my OG DROID to the Bionic.

Exactly, like I said in my previous post, that's how I figured out it was my missing swype.apk causing the issue. I should have posted the steps to get into stock recovery in my original post.

And for anyone else getting a failure, loading the OTA update from the stock android recovery console will tell you where the failure is happening so you have a better chance of diagnosing / fixing the issue.

View attachment 43793

Ok i have the same problem but still with zumocast. I downloaded from the market and then went into rootexploere and moved it to my system preinstalll apps and even reinstalled it through there. When i run the update though it is still telling me the same error code with zumocast. Someone please help me with this as i'm not that great with fooling around through the system, but can someone tell where there is or if they encountered the same thing tell me how to fix it. I've already went back to stock using the oneclick then re rooted and forever rooted, but it seems zumocast isnt in the back to stock file.
i'm lost and need to be found,

thanks

Ok i have the same problem but still with zumocast. I downloaded from the market and then went into rootexploere and moved it to my system preinstalll apps and even reinstalled it through there. When i run the update though it is still telling me the same error code with zumocast. Someone please help me with this as i'm not that great with fooling around through the system, but can someone tell where there is or if they encountered the same thing tell me how to fix it. I've already went back to stock using the oneclick then re rooted and forever rooted, but it seems zumocast isnt in the back to stock file.

thanks

This is exactly what's happening to me. I did the same thing and moved the apk to the preinstalled folder but still getting the message. I reverted back to unrooted stock and am taking it to VZW today to show them it won't install.

I was really trying to avoid returning to stock. I'll lose all my apps and settings :(.

I was using titanium backup as a backup tool in case my phone croacked suddenly. I had titanium backup setup to do a weekly backup of "all user apps + system data" but apparently that's not all encompassing.

During my research to fix my issue I found a program called "Bionic Bootstrapper". I installed it and have now performed a backup. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until now that my titanium backups weren't backing up everything I had.

I'm now debating with myself whether to reset the droid to stock or just wait until ice cream sandwich comes out, and then reset to stock and install the updates. Basically, I'm debating the value of the update for me. I haven't had very many problems with my phone before, so I'm not sure if I really want to reset my phone to stock just to install an update when ICS will be here in a month(from what I've heard anyway).
if you have the stock system file from rootzwiki site or anyplace else you can find it there is a utility called winimg. You can download it and use it for 30 days I think. It will extract the image into all the files and folders that are in there. you can extract any file you need. it's tedious but effective because these files have never been in a phone before. It worked for me until I hit the MTD:boot. Now I know I'm either going to throw myself at the mercy of verizon or send it to Motorola for a complete flush. If it won't take this update I have doubts about installing ICS. You must have Root Explorer as well but if you didn't apply the leaked updates you should be up and running in under an hour.
Hope you have better luck than I did.

thanks

Ok, I looked into this further, and this is a bit odd. My apologies for making an assumption about the zumocast location without verifying it. I looked on my phone and zumocast.apk is actually in the data/app folder, which is really strange b/c all of the other pre-installed apps: swype, bloccbuster, kindle, etc. are all in the system/app folder. I could upload my zumocast file for you but I looked at the file properties and it said last changed/edited on the same date I did the OTA, so it's probable that the OTA did something with that file and it still wouldn't work for you since the file I'd be uploading is a post OTA file. I'll see if I can find a pre OTA version of it on my computer (but i don't think i ever backed it up though b/c i use zumocast so i never froze or deleted it).

I noticed that the specific name in the data/app folder is "com.motorola.zumocast-1.apk" maybe check to see if the one you have installed from the market has the same name.

It's kinda ridiculous that motorola does checks for all this bloat garbage during the OTA, I'm sure it's not too hard to write an update w/ a checks override feature so that if something is missing it just skips updating that specific .apk and generates an error report for what's missing but installs everything else.

I have the same file and put it back under data with no prevail. I think I have to take this pos to Verizon :(

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I have the same file and put it back under data with no prevail. I think I have to take this pos to Verizon :(

I just finished with them. Before I left, i restored back to full stock, no root. Took in my phone, showed them it downloading and going through the install and fail process. They opened a ticket with their technical support because this is the first they're hearing of it. We'll see what happens, will keep posted.

That totally sucks guys. Just always freeze instead of uninstall from now on (or at least make full nandroid backups so you can extract the old files if you choose to uninstall and run into problems). Doesn't help the situation now, but live & learn I suppose. Hope verizon can resolve this for you or issue a new phone if not.

Seems I got lucky with being able to reinstall my old swype to fix my issue. I actually already uninstalled it, and am using the swype beta again (which is much better btw!).

That totally sucks guys. Just always freeze instead of uninstall from now on (or at least make full nandroid backups so you can extract the old files if you choose to uninstall and run into problems). Doesn't help the situation now, but live & learn I suppose. Hope verizon can resolve this for you or issue a new phone if not.

Seems I got lucky with being able to reinstall my old swype to fix my issue. I actually already uninstalled it, and am using the swype beta again (which is much better btw!).

Agreed, but the crazy thing is i never uninstalled Zumocast or any other app. But it is still doing this. :angry:

Ok, so I decided to take the plunge.

First, I tried the phone's factory reset. Afterwards I attempted to install the update.. no dice.

Second, I tried using Droid Bionic » -Unbrick Bionic with OneClick Restore “R3l3As3Droot and 43V3R Root” 10/28/11. It worked. I used option 4, then 7. Then used Pete's rooting tool(since I used it before). Then I installed the Droid Bionic Bootstrapper. Took an image to keep of my pre-893 upgrade. Then I installed the forever root, then updated the OS. SUCCESS!!! After the update, I took another image using the Droid Bionic Bootstrapper and put it in a safe place in case I need it for ICS upgrade. Then restored my apps from the titanium backups and all is well. I have root permissions still with the 893 update.

Honestly, if you had 886 installed before this, then restoring it with the link above should fix all problems except hardware problems. Of course if you are having hardware problems you are probably not trying to install the update.

Edit: @Jayman350 - I didn't have a backup of the framework-res.apk file. After reading about how I could revert to an original(which I didn't have at that time) I decided that it was going to be a bit more complex than I was willing to attempt with my phone. Since everyone else I had read about that had update failures and didn't try non-OTA updates had luck restoring the phone with the link above I figured I had nothing to lose.

Last edited:
I just finished with them. Before I left, i restored back to full stock, no root. Took in my phone, showed them it downloading and going through the install and fail process. They opened a ticket with their technical support because this is the first they're hearing of it. We'll see what happens, will keep posted.

Did they try flashing your phone there?

Ok, so I decided to take the plunge.

First, I tried the phone's factory reset. Afterwards I attempted to install the update.. no dice.

Second, I tried using Droid Bionic » -Unbrick Bionic with OneClick Restore “R3l3As3Droot and 43V3R Root” 10/28/11. It worked. I used option 4, then 7. Then used Pete's rooting tool(since I used it before). Then I installed the Droid Bionic Bootstrapper. Took an image to keep of my pre-893 upgrade. Then I installed the forever root, then updated the OS. SUCCESS!!! After the update, I took another image using the Droid Bionic Bootstrapper and put it in a safe place in case I need it for ICS upgrade. Then restored my apps from the titanium backups and all is well. I have root permissions still with the 893 update.

Honestly, if you had 886 installed before this, then restoring it with the link above should fix all problems except hardware problems. Of course if you are having hardware problems you are probably not trying to install the update.

Edit: @Jayman350 - I didn't have a backup of the framework-res.apk file. After reading about how I could revert to an original(which I didn't have at that time) I decided that it was going to be a bit more complex than I was willing to attempt with my phone. Since everyone else I had read about that had update failures and didn't try non-OTA updates had luck restoring the phone with the link above I figured I had nothing to lose.

I've done this three times already, still can't fund zumocast. My question is if you can uninstall zunocast, why do you need it for download?

First post on this forum. I've been following the forum since I bought my Bionic. My phone is rooted with the forever root. For those of you(like I was until about an hour ago) that had a failed update but didn't know how to fix it, here's my step-by-step instructions.

How to fix your update on droid bionic:

1. Choose to check for updates from Settings, About Phone, System Update. Choose to download. The file will be downloaded to /cache/Blur_Version.5.5.886.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip. When the download completes chose to install the update later.
2. Using an application like Root Explorer copy the file to your sd card(for the bionic since there are two "sd-cards" you want to copy the update file to /sdcard-ext/.
3. Shutdown your phone.
4. While holding down the volume + and - buttons press the power button. Your phone will take you to a menu. Press the "Volume -" button to go down to "Recovery". Press the "Volume +" button to select "Recovery".
5. A warning screen will appear with the android robot and an exclamation point in a triangle. Press "Volume +" and "Volume -" simultaneously to acknowledge the warning message.
6. Next use the "Volume -" button to go to "apply update from sdcard". Press the power button to choose the option highlighted.
7. Using the "Volume -" button select the "Blur_Version.5.5.886.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip" and press the power button.
8. If the update installs succesfully then all is well and you should have the new version. If the update fails it will list the reason for the failure.

For me, I got the error:
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/framework/framework-res.apk",ef097cd81854d5227fe1e33d89a39dbc5a1c9c9c", "1ba0a7f2b5cdc18c21cf9d2ec17156b41c2550a")
This means that I need to restore the framework-res.apk file since it has been modified from the version expected.

Unfortunately, I can't find my original framework-res.apk. I'm not sure when or how it was modified since I haven't done anything too spectacular with my phone. Anyone have the original framework-res.apk file they could post? I have been doing backups using titanium backup, but it appears they are not "all encompassing" since I cannot find a framework-res.apk file anywhere.

Edit: Looks like the P3Driod Bionic ToolBox updates the framework-res.apk file when I added the 10% battery icon using the toolbox.

Thanks,

-Josh

I have the same problem but I don't have the tool box. No mods, just rooted. Used Pete's. Was wondering if I'm gonna have to factory restore or what. I'm at a loss.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

@jennandjoey - You might. I'd try resetting to factory default or try the method I posted that you quoted to see which file is failing. It might be something you can fix. Otherwise a factory default or the software reload using the link I provided previously should fix it.

If I had known that the toolbox would have modified key system files I wouldn't have installed it in the first place. In fact, I haven't reinstalled the toolbox and I use a battery widget to see the battery %.

You can try this. Registration if free. How to get your phone back on the upgrade path... Download the file in step 2. then get the winimage tool at the link below. It's good for 30 days. You can open the image file to extract the file or files you need. what happened to me was I had 4 files that were altered but the screen on stock recovery only shows the current file that is stopping the install. That's why it's better to have the whole system image. It has all the files you need to replace to stock without reflashing the entire phone.

http://www.winimage.com/download.htm
H
ave fun, it was a quite a process process.

Back