Where is z4root?

i need some help, im new to the forum and android. I wanted to root my phone so i can dump some of the preinstalled junk. I followed directions posted here by scf. seemed to be working. I was able to install app, and open i clicked to temporarily root. Now its got a blue screen that has a z4mod logo at the top and it reads "running exploit in order to obtain root access..." It has a wheel that is turning in the center of the screen. but its been like this for nearly 15 minutes!! is that normal? im afraid to touch it and interrupt progress if its working. what should i do?

No. Hit home and reboot then run the command again. I'd recommend permanent root though.

Be careful with "dumping" bloatware. If you later want an OTA update you will need it all back.

Freezing with Titanium Backup is a better approach.

Sent from my Droid X

thanks for the speedy responses. The thing just froze up completely so i had to shut it down and restart the phone. I wanted a temp root so i could still get updates... could i just rename the unwanted apps, and be able to rename them proper before updating? or is titanium backup just a safer better idea for a newbie like myself? Oops, i just looked i need to root to use titanium backup...right? so permanent root and then titanium backup?

Titanium is the quickest and easiest way. Heard too many stories of ppl screwing things up the other way. This way u don't have to know what is needed there for the update....just unfreeze apps before taking the OTA.

Sent from my Droid X

And yes...do the permament root. You can always use the un-root option later.

Sent from my Droid X

+1 for freezing! Use permanent root or you'll lose root whenever you reboot.

Ur warranty is voided with root

<Rooted droid ally>
>> velocity 0.3 <<
>>running turbo4<<

nice. so there is an option to unroot after ur rooted! yeah thats what im talkin bout:)

ok. so i think ive got root!!! it ran and then rebooted. so how do i test? can i use custom roms now?

Just go to the market and download Titanium Backup. If it runs you are rooted!

Sent from my Droid X

oh yeah i got this:icon_ banana:

thanks, everyone, for all the help. Im glad that i signed up and got such a great response. this forum rock!

Ok I got it up and running. Now how do I make sure that I don't get automatic updates?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Back