2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely concur, don't be naive and believe Verizon doesn't know EXACTLY what it's doing here. The only logical explanation really points to this being a marketing ploy in preparation for Nexus One for two reasons: 2.1 has now been released in Europe without issue, and 3rd party distribution issues could have been assuaged by slower release schedule. No further information leaks are occurring because VZW is already dangerously close to implicating itself in a class-action lawsuit here.

It's really unfortunate because many customers held out rooting their phones only to be jerked around by VZW's marketing whims. Forget about these idiots, root and ROM your phone to receive features you'll never get with the official update, and flash back to stock with SBF if you ever need warranty service. You'll be much happier.

So that would be your legal defense??? What class action lawsuit? You would sue verizon for not putting out an update?

I can see it now, "your honor, we are suing verizon because we held off rooting our phones becuase of a leaked document stating that 2.1 was going to be pushed!!"

Give me a break! Did you think before you posted? lol

This made my day!! lol

Well, after searching around the internet, I have found nothing...which is not a surprise, but I did read some other Android forums, and their 2.1. related threads...... I must say ours is probably the sanest.......:)

You fail to understand how the business works. First of all they won't have the Nexus in the store and Google will sell it. Second they make the same amount of money either way.

Completely concur, don't be naive and believe Verizon doesn't know EXACTLY what it's doing here. The only logical explanation really points to this being a marketing ploy in preparation for Nexus One for two reasons: 2.1 has now been released in Europe without issue, and 3rd party distribution issues could have been assuaged by slower release schedule. No further information leaks are occurring because VZW is already dangerously close to implicating itself in a class-action lawsuit here.

It's really unfortunate because many customers held out rooting their phones only to be jerked around by VZW's marketing whims. Forget about these idiots, root and ROM your phone to receive features you'll never get with the official update, and flash back to stock with SBF if you ever need warranty service. You'll be much happier.

So that would be your legal defense??? What class action lawsuit? You would sue verizon for not putting out an update?

I can see it now, "your honor, we are suing verizon because we held off rooting our phones becuase of a leaked document stating that 2.1 was going to be pushed!!"

This made my day!! lol

You honor, uh, hmmm. Ahem. Let me see... in my contract here on page... hmmmmmm. Im sure SOMEWHERE it says that Im entitled to updates that have been rumored on the internet to be imminent. Im certain that I read that SOMEWHERE... Besides, isnt it intuitively obvious that Verizon and Motorola are compelled by law to maintain my Droid at the highest level of capability of any device they sell in perpetuity?

:)

OTH, he is welcome enjoy his rooted driod... Im not sure what capability the ROM provides that is necessary to make the droid functional, but to each his or her own.

This made my day!! lol

No need to personally insult, thanks! No one's at that point yet, and this has NOTHING to do with rooting your phone; but I'd say there's building evidence that Motorola Droid owners have been defrauded. In addition to numerous leaked VZW documents, Motorola also made some public statements. If sufficient evidence linking a rollout delay to marketing schedules and hardware sales drives is found, you can very well start to see how this is injurious to existing customers and the reason for VZW's silence on the whole issue-to avoid implication in a legal suit be it relevant or frivolous.

OK, people. Once again I remind you to stay on topic. If you've rooted and you want to brag about how great it is, then go into general discussion.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I did a search for 2.1 update articles on Google...

One of them titled "Android 2.1 on the way for Droid Users" sounded promising, it was posted 8 hours ago, on a tech-blog type website... It turned out to be a rehash of old news. Basically 2 paragraphs, of which the first half of one of them was a copy and paste of status from Motorola's Facebook page from the 25th. A further search revealed that all of the most recent articles (from last Friday on) were rehashes of the same stuff. If they can't find anything original, then, why bother writing about it? I was going to post links, but I figured, "why bother" because it all says the same thing.

Speculation, however, especially conspiracy-theory type speculation is running high on other forums.. It's funny to read, because it shows just how disconnected everyone is, and the vacuum caused by the lack of official information has to be filled with something.

I think I'll just sit on the couch and watch some trains go by... it's a busy day today on the railroad.....four freight trains in the last 20 minutes.

"If sufficient evidence linking a rollout delay to marketing schedules and hardware sales drives is found, you can very well start to see how this is injurious to existing customers.."

Uhmmm No I cant see it

I can't wait to get the 2.1 release either. Am I feeling defrauded? No. I bought the phone I saw at the Verizon store. It's a great phone. I've rooted and rom'ed it and like it even more, but I'm going to flash it back for the update once it starts coming. If you didn't like the phone when you got it, why'd you get it? I was never promised a 2.1 update when I got the phone. I seriously doubt anyone was told there would be one. We should all be thankful there will be a 2.1 that is supported by Verizon. When it comes isn't that big a deal. That said, I sure with they'd hurry up with it!

so how exactly are motorola droid owners defrauded? maybe i missed something

From Dictionary.com
de·fraud

 /dɪˈfrɔd/ Show Spelled[dih-frawd] Show IPA
–verb (used with object)to deprive of a right, money, or property by fraud: Dishonest employees defrauded the firm of millions of dollars.

Well, we signed a contract to give them money. Cancels that one out... We still have our phones, so that one is done... Rights..? Well.. I don't know the bill of rights by heart but I'm sure it doesn't say anything in there about the right to a software update. I also don't see anywhere in a Verizon contract that we have the right to any phone updates.

How are we being defrauded? From a legal standpoint? Not at all. People are just a bit impatient and are following what I usually see on the internet. When people are angry they make all kinds of empty threats such as lawsuits, boycotts -n- whatnot, then they impatiently wait. Rinse, repeat. :p

Technically they have announced 2.1 it's just "delayed" and expected "soon.";)

As for me, if the issue were a bug (which I suspect it may be, but I have no proof or information to support that), I sure would appreciate it if they fix it before they send it OTA.

My phone works fine now, thank you very much. Ill take an improvement like anyone else, but please dont set me back.

jc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back