2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impatient, angry? I have no reason to be, so I'd say that's a mis-characterization, Carbine. Simultaneously though, I'm certainly not going to deny the rights of other users who HAVE been waiting for the update to complain about the bait and switch being conducted by Verizon. There are important bug-fixes included with this update, and when customers sign service contracts, the provider has certain obligations to ensure the hardware receives important bug fixes in a timely manner and before the hardware is EOL. If I had still been running stock, I would've had plenty of reason to return my phone, because the audio interrupt bug is glaring and catastrophic to general phone usage.

Don't be an apologist for a company that you're paying big bucks to on a monthly basis. The simple fact of the matter is they're doing a great disservice to loyal customers and tarnishing Motorola's reputation by association.

I don't think we've established who is delaying it. Motorola, Verizon, whatever the name of that company that's suppose to send it...who knows?

Impatient, angry? I have no reason to be, so I'd say that's a mis-characterization, Carbine. Simultaneously though, I'm certainly not going to deny the rights of other users who HAVE been waiting for the update to complain about the bait and switch being conducted by Verizon. There are important bug-fixes included with this update, and when customers sign service contracts, the provider has certain obligations to ensure the hardware receives important bug fixes in a timely manner and before the hardware is EOL. If I had still been running stock, I would've had plenty of reason to return my phone, because the audio interrupt bug is glaring and catastrophic to general phone usage.

Don't be an apologist for a company that you're paying big bucks to on a monthly basis. The simple fact of the matter is they're doing a great disservice to loyal customers and tarnishing Motorola's reputation by association.

wow, so now its a bait and switch? gesh. i'm sorry but maybe one should look stuff up before typing. oh heres the definition of bait and switch:
bait-and-switch definition
☆ bait·-and-switch (bāt'n swic̸h)
adjective
of, related to, or employing an illegal or unethical sales technique in which a seller lures customers by advertising an often nonexistent item at a bargain price and then attempts to switch their attention to more expensive items

so how is not getting a update bait and switch?

Fact: 2.1 runs on Droid. We know because we have ROMs from it running right now.

No glaring issue was found by dev's or the modding masses who definately test out their builds once installed.

Fact: 2.1 is already going out to the milestone. Aside from slight HW changes, milestone is droid. See Fact above.

Fact: The defining moment already gone; VZ. moto and Google all clam up.

I'll put it bluntly, I don't care about anything other than a simple answer as to whats goin on.

I think this week I'll be off to Cyanogen land ... I'm still afraid to do it (irrational) but ...

I did a fair amount of reading on what people think of the failed 2.1 update. I have visited several forums, read a bunch of articles and the associated comments on the 2.1 update and have come away feeling that a large number of people are pointing at this being a deliberate, and calculated move on the part of Verizon. A poster in this thread has even used the term "bait and switch"..... What bait and switch? Where is it, because if it's there, i haven't seen it.

Why can't people just accept that something went wrong, and whatever that thing was, it has delayed the release of the update. We can't do anything about that. How many people here have planned something, and have had something go wrong? How many people have planned something, and have executed perfectly, every time? Has anyone considered that this was just one big "cock-up" because someone, somewhere along the way dropped the ball?

Pushing out this OTA is, I would guess, a highly technical and complex activity that requires a certain set of systems has to work together, and as flawlessly as possible to execute the transmission of the update. On the 18th, something didn't work right. And now that problem, whatever it is is being taken care of. Why can't the simple explanation, which really amounts to an "oops we goofed" be the acceptable one? Why must everyone gas on about lawsuits, and patent rights, baiting and switching, corporate greed, and conspiracies? Motorola said the update was coming on the 18th. From all accounts (thin as they are) they started to do that on the date they said they would, and then the fertilizer hit the fan, and they couldn't do what they had said they were going to do. I realize, that from a corporate and customer service standpoint, that this is a big deal, and that Motorola should have made sure that things were going to work, after all the 2.0.1 update went out without issues. I realize that Motorola has a responsibility to it's customers to follow through on promises. No one can deny, or argue that... but, sometimes, things just get messed up, and when that happens, the mistake has to be identified and corrected, and then the plan attempted again. I think that is happening as we speak... err, write, and we will find something out soon enough.

Mistakes happen, machines break, rain falls, electricity fails, cars break down... sometimes things are what they are. Of course, steps can be taken to minimize what the British would call "cock-up potential", in an plan, but, remember, the operative word in the last statement is "minimize" not "eliminate". Do we know what happened? No, Motorola and Verizon aren't talking, and they probably have a good reason for it, but that doesn't mean it isn't being taken care of, nor does it mean they are actively trying to screw people over.

Something went wrong with the update, and now we have to wait. Sometimes, it is what it is, and nothing more.

Fact: 2.1 runs on Droid. We know because we have ROMs from it running right now.

No glaring issue was found by dev's or the modding masses who definately test out their builds once installed.

Fact: 2.1 is already going out to the milestone. Aside from slight HW changes, milestone is droid. See Fact above.

I'll put it bluntly, I don't care about anything other than a simple answer as to whats goin on.

I think this week I'll be off to Cyanogen land ... I'm still afraid to do it (irrational) but ...

Don't be hesitant. I went to 2.1 land and just went back to stock. Mainly, just to make sure that I could. Everything turned out good. I will give whomever until the end of this week for the official update, or its back to rooting and rom heaven again. Battery life is amazing with 2.1.

I did a fair amount of reading on what people think of the failed 2.1 update. I have visited several forums, read a bunch of articles and the associated comments on the 2.1 update and have come away feeling that a large number of people are pointing at this being a deliberate, and calculated move on the part of Verizon. A poster in this thread has even used the term "bait and switch"..... What bait and switch? Where is it, because if it's there, i haven't seen it.

Why can't people just accept that something went wrong, and whatever that thing was, it has delayed the release of the update. We can't do anything about that. How many people here have planned something, and have had something go wrong? How many people have planned something, and have executed perfectly, every time? Has anyone considered that this was just one big "cock-up" because someone, somewhere along the way dropped the ball?

Pushing out this OTA is, I would guess, a highly technical and complex activity that requires a certain set of systems has to work together, and as flawlessly as possible to execute the transmission of the update. On the 18th, something didn't work right. And now that problem, whatever it is is being taken care of. Why can't the simple explanation, which really amounts to an "oops we goofed" be the acceptable one? Why must everyone gas on about lawsuits, and patent rights, baiting and switching, corporate greed, and conspiracies? Motorola said the update was coming on the 18th. From all accounts (thin as they are) they started to do that on the date they said they would, and then the fertilizer hit the fan, and they couldn't do what they had said they were going to do. I realize, that from a corporate and customer service standpoint, that this is a big deal, and that Motorola should have made sure that things were going to work, after all the 2.0.1 update went out without issues. I realize that Motorola has a responsibility to it's customers to follow through on promises. No one can deny, or argue that... but, sometimes, things just get messed up, and when that happens, the mistake has to be identified and corrected, and then the plan attempted again. I think that is happening as we speak... err, write, and we will find something out soon enough.

Mistakes happen, machines break, rain falls, electricity fails, cars break down... sometimes things are what they are. Of course, steps can be taken to minimize what the British would call "cock-up potential", in an plan, but, remember, the operative word in the last statement is "minimize" not "eliminate". Do we know what happened? No, Motorola and Verizon aren't talking, and they probably have a good reason for it, but that doesn't mean it isn't being taken care of, nor does it mean they are actively trying to screw people over.

Something went wrong with the update, and now we have to wait. Sometimes, it is what it is, and nothing more.

I know you're working in the IT field, and dealing with servers, network updates and IF something did go wrong with the OTA onthis large scale and across the US; where is the secondary systems to provide either the backup or provide the other part of the US OTA? Basically, where is the mirror site for the 2.1 if the primary system failed. In the IT field, you HAVE to have redundant systems.

Actually - while there is no fundamental difference in the 2.1 software itself, the radio is totally different from Milestone to Droid (GSM vs CDMA).

Also - I believe, but could be wrong, that all of the ROMs developed from the leaked 2.1 ESE53 are using the older .01P baseband firmware and not the newer .03P that was in the official update. Isn't it possible that the issue that arose was with this newer baseband version??

"Also - I believe, but could be wrong, that all of the ROMs developed from the leaked 2.1 ESE53 are using the older .01P baseband firmware and not the newer .03P that was in the official update. Isn't it possible that the issue that arose was with this newer baseband version?? "

I want to say no, because I believe the SBF is out there to get this radio update.

But I could be wrong.

Pushing out this OTA is, I would guess, a highly technical and complex activity that requires a certain set of systems has to work together, and as flawlessly as possible to execute the transmission of the update.

Well said (and not just the micro quote that I included).

The very fact that the Droid is more of an open platform, allowing all manner of updates from the marketplace makes it even more complicated.

Trust me, Im no apologist. In an ideal world, I would love to have seen more frequent/clearer communication, but fertilizer happens. So if you dont like the way VZW and MOT have handled the communications of this, then you are free to settle your ETF, and move to another provider/device. Check the contract that you sigend (the only thing that matters) for what you may or may not be entitled to. For my money, I see NOTHING that looks even remotely like fraud.

I would rather wait until the update can go out smooth as silk, even if it meant months longer, or even never. I like living on the edge of technology on a lot of things, but my mobile device is necessary to run my business. Its a tool, not a toy. If the phone doesn't ring, MY clients aren't happy. Then I become unhappy. I like the idea with the Droid that I can be as close to the bleeding edge of technology as ... I ... choose to be - or as far away.

just my $0.02

jc
jc

I know you're working in the IT field, and dealing with servers, network updates and IF something did go wrong with the OTA onthis large scale and across the US; where is the secondary systems to provide either the backup or provide the other part of the US OTA? Basically, where is the mirror site for the 2.1 if the primary system failed. In the IT field, you HAVE to have redundant systems.

Well, I don't work in IT right now, (I'd give my left arm to be working anywhere at this point...) but I have had some experience with IT from the "break/fix" end of things. You do have a point about the back up system, or the mirror site for the 2.1 update, and why there isn't/doesn't appear to be one. Well, I don't have an answer for that because I have no idea how Motorola, Verizon, Bitfone, or HP has it set up, and I would be lying if I were to say otherwise. When you are doing anything in IT, that is "mission critical", a redundant system is necessary, but I have seen things done by the seat of the pants, with no back up, or redundancy, and I have seen it work out, and I have seen it go bad....

It is possible, that both the primary, and secondary systems failed. How likely is that? I don't know.....but I can speculate :)

"Also - I believe, but could be wrong, that all of the ROMs developed from the leaked 2.1 ESE53 are using the older .01P baseband firmware and not the newer .03P that was in the official update. Isn't it possible that the issue that arose was with this newer baseband version?? "

I want to say no, because I believe the SBF is out there to get this radio update.

But I could be wrong.

Not wrong.

Of course the custom ROMs out there do not flash the radio in the first place so....its a moot point largely. Only using the sbf or a legit update will upgrade the radio.

From where we are sitting, the 2.1 update seems huge and important (or at least desirable). But from VZW's POV, it may very well not be big and important enough to warrant a redundant distribution system. Even though I find it hard to believe they would subcontract to an entity that couldn't get the job done (allegedly what happened with Bitfone), I still find that easier to believe than the various conspiracy and abandonment theories that are being floated.

Objectively, 2.1 is not really a major update, and the 2.0.1 phones are working well, by and large. I just don't think it's as important to VZW as it is to us. They'll get around to it. Probably. :p

and herein lies the only reason I keep an eye on these update threads. None of the current roms flash the radio, although there is a methodology for this. But, with something as critical as radio flashing, I am curious whether the OTA will indeed reflash the radio. I had originally thought not likley, but with the recent post on the Milestone 2.1 root, if the post is accurate, then either the MS ota contained the radio flash, or the root hackers included it.

In my perfect world, the 2.1 ota will roll out with the radio flash, it will get rooted, and then those of us who like root can have the newest baseband without the worry or trouble of the current radio flash method.

Craig

But I could be wrong.

Not wrong.

Of course the custom ROMs out there do not flash the radio in the first place so....its a moot point largely. Only using the sbf or a legit update will upgrade the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back