2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bleh I can't stay away from this thread. It's not a legal issue that's the delay - if it was the Milestone would not have it. Patents are INTERNATIONAL. (don't make me go into detail) Also they said the update was rolling out soon as they would not have said that if it wasn't a technical issue rather than a legal issue.

Scott
Attorney At Law
Florida Supreme Court Certified Mediator
American Arbitration Association Commercial Arbitrator
Co-Founder of Toldya.com - (we have filed many patents as well)

While some patents are international (I'll disagree with the ALL part), the laws governing them and what is determined to be infringing upon them is different from country to country.

That said, I agree, its not a legal issue. I find it funny that it keeps coming up.

It keeps coming up, because in the absence of hard information, there is only speculation.

Well this is how it works. First of all a big company will file the patent in all countries - they can afford it.

If you apply for a patent in the US they also do an international search - if someone already has a similar patent you get rejected.

Bleh I can't stay away from this thread. It's not a legal issue that's the delay - if it was the Milestone would not have it. Patents are INTERNATIONAL. (don't make me go into detail) Also they said the update was rolling out soon as they would not have said that if it wasn't a technical issue rather than a legal issue.

Scott
Attorney At Law
Florida Supreme Court Certified Mediator
American Arbitration Association Commercial Arbitrator
Co-Founder of Toldya.com - (we have filed many patents as well)

While some patents are international (I'll disagree with the ALL part), the laws governing them and what is determined to be infringing upon them is different from country to country.

That said, I agree, its not a legal issue. I find it funny that it keeps coming up.

See, thast what I am saying about the 'all' thing though. Thats only true if you have enough money and are in the US. I kind of doubt all the other countries out there also run international patent searches.

You don't to look hard across the net for cases where a country has not recognized a particular patent.

/golfclap

Rooters hath no love in this thread. Esp. bragging ones.

It's been a while since I saw anything useful in this thread. I guess Motorola's and Verizon's consultants must really have a lot of bandwidth problems. :icon_rolleyes:

Just a reminder guys. If I see talk of rooting I'm going to delete the post. You want to talk about rooting do it the proper area. Don't do it around here. Sick of seeing the thread? Nobody is forcing you to click on it. It's been mentioned previously but anybody who persist on going off topic will get an infraction. Don't make us go there, please.

I'm strictly talking about the US Patent office. You can choose to file a patent here or in any country of your choice. In the case of my company we filed a US Patent and I cant remember if we filed in any other countries. There are some grouped together like the EU.

However if a US Patent examiner does a search he will look everywhere.

I can assure you that any large public company has filed all patents everywhere they can. My point is the if they rolled it out for the Milestone then the Patent is not the issue because Apple would have the same protections there.

Well this is how it works. First of all a big company will file the patent in all countries - they can afford it.

If you apply for a patent in the US they also do an international search - if someone already has a similar patent you get rejected.

See, thast what I am saying about the 'all' thing though. Thats only true if you have enough money and are in the US. I kind of doubt all the other countries out there also run international patent searches.

You don't to look hard across the net for cases where a country has not recognized a particular patent.

This update isn't late enough that it would start bothering me yet.

The update isn't good enough that I care. I've rarely seen a more lackluster update. There better be many fixes in there that they aren't listing, e.g. a phone icon/dock as is now standard in 2.1 on HTC phones and even on Motorola's low end phone.

No.

A phone icon/dock is standard on Sense, and Motoblur. None of which have to do with 2.1.

No.

A phone icon/dock is standard on Sense, and Motoblur. None of which have to do with 2.1.
Every Android phone I have seen has placed a phone icon/dock on the phone except for the Droid. It's an incredible oversight and totally absurd that out of the box you need to screw around to just get back to your phone call. Pull down alerts menu, choose icon, etc... hello! It's a phone!

The other oversight is complete inability to use Outlook. I haven't been able to get CompanionLink to work and, with all respect to them, this is something Moto should have offered out of the box (even if it paid them to subsidize) as every smartphone and PDA has done since the 90s.

No.

Every Android phone I have seen has placed a phone icon/dock on the phone except for the Droid. It's an incredible oversight and totally absurd that out of the box you need to screw around to just get back to your phone call. Pull down alerts menu, choose icon, etc... hello! It's a phone!

The other oversight is complete inability to use Outlook. I haven't been able to get CompanionLink to work and, with all respect to them, this is something Moto should have offered out of the box (even if it paid them to subsidize) as every smartphone and PDA has done since the 90s.

Is that hard? Also what is the etc you speak of? Because when I want to get back to a phone call, I only have to pull down the notifications bar, and touch the call in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back