2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of todat, 3-29-10 there has been no update for me. What is taking so long?

Nobody knows Booklady : )

If I were to make an educated guess from all the rumor and speculation thats been floating around I'd say there is an issue with distribution.

I would put money on the fact that it was a distribution issue...It's the only scenario that makes sense...(to me, anyway)

If I were to make an educated guess from all the rumor and speculation thats been floating around I'd say there is an issue with distribution.

There wasn't an issue when they pushed out 2.0.1, but that was a small push compared to over a million phones and counting.

I would put money on the fact that it was a distribution issue...It's the only scenario that makes sense...(to me, anyway)

I have to go with a CDMA radio issue... everyone else on GSM systems is getting their updates.

When you are doing anything in IT, that is "mission critical", a redundant system is necessary, but I have seen things done by the seat of the pants, with no back up, or redundancy, and I have seen it work out, and I have seen it go bad....

The key words here are "mission critical". I don't think an OTA is "mission critical". There's not a single person out there who's phone is DOA and is waiting on this update. It your phone dies, and it's a "mission critical" tool for your business, you go to Verizon and they replace your phone.

The "mission critical" aspect arises if the update bricks your phone. This update, while allegedly really cool and all that stuff, doesn't meet the standard of "mission critical" as I understand it. Paying all the additional costs of redundancy for a "nice to have" update isn't cost effective.

Besides, we're only speculating that the delay is a deployment systems issue. I suspect, (just my opinion) that the delay is likely due to a bug that potentially could have destabilized more phones than they cared to deal with. Be patient. They'll send it when it's ready. Besides, it seems to me that the longer this delay stretches out, the more features the update contains. Maybe if we wait long enough, the feature list will grow to include ending world hunger and global peace!

When I said "mission critical" I should have clarified that the infrastructure working properly was the "mission critical" part, not the update itself.

The update isn't necessarily a "nice to have" either. It addresses some bugs that need fixing. Yes we get "Live wallpapers" and "pinch zoom", but there are some issues that need to be worked out.

However: IT WILL NOT CONTAIN FLASH. Just clarifying for those who still insist Flash will be contained in the update.

Although they'll be cool, I don't care so much about the extra home screens or the live wallpaper or whatever. My biggest problem is that I CAN'T PLUG A PAIR OF HEADPHONES INTO MY D**N PHONE WITHOUT F'ING IT UP! Pardon the screaming. That's just patently ridiculous for a $600 piece of technology. If you're not going to release the entire 2.1 update (which, I'm under the impression, addresses that issue), at least fix my stupid headphone jack so I can actually use this "smartphone" like a smartphone. I'm not demanding a class-action lawsuit, but they sold me a phone with a gimpy camera (somewhat fixed now, I suppose) and a completely broken headphone jack, among other problems. I love my Droid, but FIX THE PROBLEMS ALREADY! I hate having to listen to my iPhreak friends laugh when I can't answer a call because my headphone jack has screwed up the earpiece on my phone. Arrrrrgh!

Why say anything like this unless you at least have a basic knowledge of both business and the law.

Are you trying to get your post count up or your IQ down?

All these theories about WHY it was delayed or whatever are irrelevant. Verizon Wireless MADE IT A POINT to announce that Adobe Flash 10.1 capabilities were COMING Q1 2010. Now, whether they consider the 2.1 update 'important' or not is irrelevant; Adobe has stated that 10.1 will REQUIRE the 2.1 OS.

Given that VZW promised Flash 10.1 support, they HAD BETTER consider the 2.1 update important. Because they've got a couple of days to get it out to meet the target date for Flash 10.1 - Q1 is damn close to being over.

And, to quote myself since I cannot seem to edit this post:

VZW is opening themselves up for a class action lawsuit. People sued over the Moto v710's lack of Bluetooth profiles, they WILL sue over the lack of Flash 10.1 on the Droid. I can see it coming.

I unrooted today and went back to stock(just to make sure I could)but while I was running BB V.9, my battery life was greatly extended. I went hiking over the weekend and had the GPS running constantly mapping my route for 5 hours straight, and it only took it down to about 60 percent. Amazing. Thats one reason why I want the update.

Fact: the us is now the 3rd world.

We can't even push out an update to a few million phones, yet it's happening across the pond.

How frakking sad.

Fact: the us is now the 3rd world.

We can't even push out an update to a few million phones, yet it's happening across the pond.

How frakking sad.

I beleive its more of a CDMA radio issue than the fact of it being pushed out. If other countries are getting the update and they are on GSM then it only makes sense the CDMA phone is having trouble adapting.

The original story was that BitFone had a problem but honestly if this is what BitFone does then i don't see them having a problem pushing out updates especially in increments of what 200k a day? If they were required to push it out all at the same time then yes i see a problem happening there but not 200k a day.

Good Grief! Tell people they are going to get something for free, then say, "oh sorry, I'm not ready yet," and they act as if they have been robbed.

The Droid is an excellent phone. My only real gripe is the silly email client that forces one to select each mail twice to dump it. Really stupid. Besides that, the phone is amazing. Yes, I'd love to enter text with voice, and flash, and such. And if it comes...oh yeah!

But all the people throwing tantrums here are...well, it's just bush league. Class action suit?!!! :rofl2:

When Moto delivers an update on the level promised, I'd rather have them do it right, than rush it. Having purchased a Pioneer AVIC car nav/mm device that wasn't ready for prime time was a learning experience. Talk about a gripe-filled message board. I'm betting Pioneer still rues the day they decided to let that puppy out.

Take your time Motorola, and get it right.

Thanks!

Although they'll be cool, I don't care so much about the extra home screens or the live wallpaper or whatever. My biggest problem is that I CAN'T PLUG A PAIR OF HEADPHONES INTO MY D**N PHONE WITHOUT F'ING IT UP! Pardon the screaming. That's just patently ridiculous for a $600 piece of technology. If you're not going to release the entire 2.1 update (which, I'm under the impression, addresses that issue), at least fix my stupid headphone jack so I can actually use this "smartphone" like a smso artphone. I'm not demanding a class-action lawsuit, but they sold me a phone with a gimpy camera (somewhat fixed now, I suppose) and a completely broken headphone jack, among other problems. I love my Droid, but FIX THE PROBLEMS ALREADY! I hate having to listen to my iPhreak friends laugh when I can't answer a call because my headphone jack has screwed up the earpiece on my phone. Arrrrrgh!

The only time the hedphone jack affects me is when I plug it in or get a call. When I plug hedphones into the jack music plays and usaly with my luck its after I've watched a video on youtube whith the sound at full blast. When I get a call the microphone dosent work so I have to unplug my hedphones and when I'm done and I plug my headphones back in it starts a diffrent song.

Switch to K-9 Mail and it solves that problem.:icon_ banana:

Good Grief! Tell people they are going to get something for free, then say, "oh sorry, I'm not ready yet," and they act as if they have been robbed.

The Droid is an excellent phone. My only real gripe is the silly email client that forces one to select each mail twice to dump it. Really stupid. Besides that, the phone is amazing. Yes, I'd love to enter text with voice, and flash, and such. And if it comes...oh yeah!

But all the people throwing tantrums here are...well, it's just bush league. Class action suit?!!! :rofl2:

When Moto delivers an update on the level promised, I'd rather have them do it right, than rush it. Having purchased a Pioneer AVIC car nav/mm device that wasn't ready for prime time was a learning experience. Talk about a gripe-filled message board. I'm betting Pioneer still rues the day they decided to let that puppy out.

Take your time Motorola, and get it right.

Thanks!

I enjoy reading the silly comments about class action lawsuits. It makes me laugh as to people's sense of priorities and "rights." It's like reading the comments in the Android Market and someone writing "I'd give this awesome app 5 stars but it's not free" or they have an amazing application but the icon isn't to their liking so they take off a star. Now if Motorola doesn't get out that live wallpaper update in the next few days as has been a confirmed rumor by various tech geeks who spoke to someone "high up" in the Verizon retail store, I'm going to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back