2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
What game breaker differences can their be between the version of 2.1 we rooted guys have and the real deal? To say they are stopping it because of radio seems odd to me when we already have the damn thing working now?

Just saying...I have a bad feeling about this because I can only imagine one single reason for the update to be stalled for so long, and that would be if they were trying to pull an Apple and make it as unrootable as they potentially can so they can regain dependence. If they did this I'd be seriously disappointed in them. The way things are is they way they ought to be and what makes the Droid so attractive.

If your listening, please don't ruin a good thing.

What ever happened to patience? I mean I understand society has changed to wanting results NOW, but it has been getting a bit ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I do like the thought of instant communication (hello, I bought a Droid), but seriously, what happened to good things come to those who wait. If you want something to go right, you need to be willing to wait for it to be done right. They've had a delay because something went wrong. They are fixing it. The majority of Droid owners probably don't even know about 2.1. It will come, to pass the time, get out and enjoy life.

For the second time today the voice of sanity speaks. :)

What game breaker differences can their be between the version of 2.1 we rooted guys have and the real deal? To say they are stopping it because of radio seems odd to me when we already have the damn thing working now?

Just saying...I have a bad feeling about this because I can only imagine one single reason for the update to be stalled for so long, and that would be if they were trying to pull an Apple and make it as unrootable as they potentially can so they can regain dependence. If they did this I'd be seriously disappointed in them. The way things are is they way they ought to be and what makes the Droid so attractive.

The only things to date that I know anyone has found as problems for the leaked ESE53 is that Gmaps couldn't be updated, and the build.prop doesn't work for DRM apps without modification due to it being a debug version.

None of which are showstoppers, and none of which I would have expected to make it over in the final version and cause problems.

I am very new to this forum and just as new to the Droid. I picked mine up last Tuesday. I have been a tried and true Blackberry fan for many year and many models. Some of the guys I work with convinced me to give it a try and I am overwhelmed by this phone. I live in a "fringe area" and this phone is a full 2 bars better on just the reception side here. As for the 2.1 update, yea they handed me a paper before I left the store with instructions on how to update when it comes. But ya know, this is an outstanding device and I sort of look at the update as even more icing on the cake. If it takes another week or another month, oh well, it is still the best phone I have owned to this point! Just my two cents on it, and besides, all of the frustration I have read about here does not seemed to have moved Verizon or Motorola along any quicker, guess they don't read this forum!

I read some where that the radio settings are being cahanged or something like that which could cause truble because it is differnt then the "milk" (sorry ck/hookbill I have to mention it to make this make sence). Another possibilaty that they could be adding a little extra taste to 2.1 and verizon wants skype to be a part of it.

The only things to date that I know anyone has found as problems for the leaked ESE53 is that Gmaps couldn't be updated, and the build.prop doesn't work for DRM apps without modification due to it being a debug version.

None of which are showstoppers, and none of which I would have expected to make it over in the final version and cause problems.

And more importantly, shouldn't be shutting down an update for months on end. The same people who built the thing should be able to get around these issues like a walk in the park. I can't even imagine how many people they have working on the R&D for 2.1, and the yield is null for how long now? I sincerely believe they could have completely redesigned the entire thing by now and skipped right to 2.2. I dunno guys, just doesn't jive. :icon_ nono2: I fear something much more Apple going on here, that or they are going to really impress by shocking us all and fixing the camera software up or add Flash at the same time, something equally impressive, exc.., which has been confirmed my many to never happen. It just simply doesn't make sense to me.

I think it's the space bar on the physical keyboard. It's not the exact same size and angle of the space bar on any other device.

It's definitely that.

I would think that the agreement with Skype was not an overnight thing. In other words, the negotiations were probably going on before 2.1, and if they knew they were probably going to be integrating Skype, it stands to reason that they would have tested it when they were working up the update....Of course, I could be wrong.

I still think it was pulled because of distribution problems.....

I read some where that the radio settings are being cahanged or something like that which could cause truble because it is differnt then the "milk" (sorry ck/hookbill I have to mention it to make this make sence). Another possibilaty that they could be adding a little extra taste to 2.1 and verizon wants skype to be a part of it.

No issues here with the new radio.

Just sayin.

Just sayin.

I read that they were changing the code for the recivers on the final verson.

It amuses me how so many people think it should be such a piece cake for a large company to update and push software.

Lets ignore the fact that we are dealing with millions of lines of code here. Once engineering has a 'release candidate' build it goes to testing. If any bug is found in testing that is deemed serious enough to prevent distribution it goes back to engineering. Once they find and fix the bug and build a new release candidate testing starts over from the beginning. So, while they MAY be able to find and fix a bug in a day or so, the release is still usually delayed by several weeks due to testing having to be completely redone.

Just sayin.

I read that they were changing the code for the recivers on the final verson.

And giving it the same version number as what I have?

Seems very unlikely.

It amuses me how so many people think it should be such a piece cake for a large company to update and push software.

Lets ignore the fact that we are dealing with millions of lines of code here. Once engineering has a 'release candidate' build it goes to testing. If any bug is found in testing that is deemed serious enough to prevent distribution it goes back to engineering. Once they find and fix the bug and build a new release candidate testing starts over from the beginning. So, while they MAY be able to find and fix a bug in a day or so, the release is still usually delayed by several weeks due to testing having to be completely redone.

And then there are those who simply choose not to care... Its not their problem, and they want 2.1 because they want it... NOW. Same mentality as the person on the airplane who makes a big scene because their flight is being delayed, and they are being inconvenienced by that delay. Never mind that the problem is mechanical, and the airplane isnt safe to fly, they just want to leave. Now. After all, the schedule SAID that the flight was supposed to leave 20 minutes ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back