2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know none of us would switch to the Iphone but think of it from Verizons point thell have so many people sswitch from AT&T to verizon and have people who have never had a smart phone get there first one just cause they can all say I have a Iphone and its on the best network in America. I know they put a lot of money into google but that was back when the droid came out not as much now they won't even talk about the biggest droid news since it came out which is the 2.1 upgrade. I'm not sayin its a conspirecy or anything but if u owned verizon and want to max profits what would u do. Well just have to wait for 2.1 ..I'm excited

i highly doubt that verizon is going to pullout of the android market. It has spent to much money in promoting and devoloping, and from what i have been reading the iphone is so limited i wonder how many people would convert from a droid even. the droid seems to be a phone for a more refined then the iphone. Plus google and its products are second to none. The maps and the search are excellent but we will see.

Just because they get an iPhone does not mean they would be pulling out of the Android OS. If you look AT&T sells both the iPhone and the Google Nexus One. I'm sure alot of people would switch from the Droid to the iPhone because of the fact of more apps and more internal app storage on the phone itself. But this would NOT be anywhere near the reason the 2.1 update isn't out yet. If anything Verizon would be more focused on the Nexus One and Incredible that are supposed to be coming to Verizon in the next few weeks. No phone will keep a company from releasing an update to the droid which came out not even 5 months ago. They want their Droid users happy seeing as how the Droid boosted sales not only by just selling the Droid but also everyone who bought a Droid had to add on a Data plan for $30/month. They made too much money on the Droid to turn their backs on it now and risk losing alot of those customers. THE UPDATE WILL COME PEOPLE JUST BE PATIENT!!!

This is just a idea I have but ill give it a shot.. maybe in an attempt to maximize profits verizon pits Google users against Iphone users sorta like they do in professional wrestling.. sounds alittle crazy but just listen.. Verizon, Google, and Apple all working together to write a sorta story line were its Google (Droid, Droid eris, nexus one) on one side Apple Iphone on the other u hold off the update till for a few weeks to get the pot stirring about the update then drop some news that the Iphone is coming out then release the update and then nexus one to max profits for spring and summer and make it look like Verizon is in complete support of google phones then they release the Iphone and Verizon supports them then google hits us with new features to keep us going and looks like Verizon supports google again then Apple releases new feature and back and forth we go with new apps and features and its a heated war but remember there both on the Verizon network so know matter what side your on Verizon, Google and Apple all win with huge profits but remember that could also push evolution for us and we end up all being happy cause is all goes to a much higher level of technology and apps and features then we could ever think of... this is just a shot in the dark why 2.1 was delayed.. but if I'm correct think how much this could all evolve.

ok...my post seems to have disappeared into thin air...

if i unroot, can i reinstall all my backed up apps onto 2.1? i dont want to lose them.

It didn't disappear. it got moved to the proper area. In the hacks section. And it won't be answered here.

Actually I would. In less time that it takes your heart to beat once.

Yeah, the Droid's a nice phone. But personally - and yes, for me - I'd rather have an iPhone.

The reason? Apps. Every single app I would use in everyday life is not available for Android, but readily available for Iphone. I could probably name 30 or 40 apps right off the top of my head.

And I've emailed the developers about it, and none of them are interested in making an Android version, because - and they say - there is too much variability. Not all the phones run the same OS, and not all the phones have the same screen resolution, etc.

So if the rumors are true, there will be a Droid for sale.

But again, that's just me.

Yeah, the Droid's a nice phone. But personally - and yes, for me - I'd rather have an iPhone.

The reason? Apps. Every single app I would use in everyday life is not available for Android, but readily available for Iphone. I could probably name 30 or 40 apps right off the top of my head.

And I've emailed the developers about it, and none of them are interested in making an Android version, because - and they say - there is too much variability. Not all the phones run the same OS, and not all the phones have the same screen resolution, etc.

I completely agree.
I would be in a very difficult position. I love my droid but the iPhone would be 10x more productive for me if it was with Verizon. I would probably make the switch. Even knowing the wrath it would bring from the wife and that is enough to make any mortal man switch to a RAZR. lol

At least your honest...Me, on the other hand, am a Google fan. I have a firm belief that if we keep supporting Google it will, in time, have those apps you need. Google can make a flippin laptop and I'll buy it(if I'm in the market for a laptop). I'm all about free as well...most worth while apps on the Google marketplace are free, iphone or ipod touch a lot of those apps cost money.

I also like the open source of Google, lets you do what you want. I like the honesty though..iphone has a great reputation, and its taken companies this long to make a phone that is a competitor. Gotta love the free world!

Fragmentation no more....waiting for updates from operators will be a thing of the past

Check this out. We shall all benefit greatly.

We had a couple people at CTIA last week -- people whose words carry weight -- tell us off the record that the next major version of Android would take big strides toward stopping the ugly trend toward severe fragmentation that has plagued the platform for much of this and last year. You know, the kind of fragmentation that has already left users running not one, not two, not three, but four distinct versions of the little green guy (1.5, 1.6, 2.0, and 2.1) depending on a seemingly arbitrary formula of hardware, carrier, region, software customization, and manufacturers' ability to push updates in a timely fashion. Put simply, Google's been iterating the core far faster than most of its partners have been able to keep up.

Thing is, in light of our CTIA conversations, we didn't have an idea of how Google planned on fixing this -- until now. We've been given reason to believe that the company will start by decoupling many of Android's standard applications and components from the platform's core and making them downloadable and updatable through the Market, much the same as they've already done with Maps. In all likelihood, this process will take place over two major Android versions, starting with Froyo and continuing through Gingerbread. Notice that we said apps and components, meaning that some core elements of Android -- input methods, for instance -- should get this treatment. This way, just because Google rolls out an awesome new browser doesn't mean you need to wait for HTC, Samsung, or whomever made your phone to roll it into a firmware update, and for your carrier to approve it -- almost all of the juicy user-facing stuff will happen through the Market.

The second part of this doubled-edged attack on platform fragmentation comes from a simple reality: we're hearing that Google may be nearing the end of its breakneck development pace on Android's core and shifting attention to apps and features. By the time we get to Froyo, the underlying platform -- and the API that devs need to target -- will be reaching legitimate maturity for the first time, which means we should have far fewer tasty treat-themed code names to worry about over the course of an average year. We like awesome new software as much as the next guy, but Google's been moving so fast lately that they've created a near constant culture of obsolescence anxiety among the hardcore user base -- and in turn, that leads to paralysis at the sales counter.

How much of this strategy actually materializes -- and how effective it is at changing the direction of the platform at large -- remains to be seen, but it sounds like a promising turn of events. Considering it's been a solid five months since the Eclair SDK premiered, that's an eternity in Google years; time to shake things up a bit, we reckon.

Source: Endgadget

Finally! Common Sense sets in at Google!... I wondered what Google was thinking, having four different versions of their OS out there. Having to support four different versions has got to be a pain. From the standpoint of development it doesn't make sense. It would be the same as Dell, or HP manufacturing computers with different hardware configurations, and a different version of Windows on each, say, Win 98SE, WinMe, XP, Vista and Windows 7.... The support for that would be a nightmare, software developers would give up, and consumers would be confused. Same thing is happening with Android phones as well. The girlfriend hates the fact that we have different version of Android.. I have 2.0.1 and she has 1.5 on her Backflip. I can get apps she can't and she has seen a few on my phone she would like. (She may jump to VZW for the Droid...she's not sure yet, depends on how long it takes 2.1 to get to the Backflip)

Anyway, it's great news that Google is going this way, I think it will go a long way to making Android more of a market force, and compete even harder with the iPhone.
Hopefully this comes to fruition soon....

I bought an Iphone none contract 2 years ago and i have the Droid .. the Droid stock is even better then my Iphone jailbroken. Yes the Iphone has 10 to 1 apps over Google's apps but 20 to 1 are useless on the Iphone apps and 30 to 1 they cost money on the Iphone..I think with this 2.1 upgrade and eventually flash (which you will never see on an Iphone cause apple hates flash) you will see alot more apps pop up in the Google app store...:icon_ banana:

Haha this is probably the most honest/truthful post that I've seen on this entire thread.

I agree with your sentiments on the lack of apps in the Android App Store. My hope and sincere belief (although probably biased) is that the Android App Store is going to see a huuuge influx of development over the next 12-24 months. Why? Look at this year's CITA. Android was the platform generating all the buzz for both upcoming 3G handsets and 4G handsets. Developers love how lucrative Apple's app store is now, but I guarantee that unless they're blind, they see a lot of untapped potential in the android market.

So, as for me, I'll be holding tight with my Droid, although I'm sure that I'll have thoughts of infidelity in my head about owning an iPhone, but I'm sure I'll stay true to the Droid...at least for another 18 months.

What Google wants to do with making all there phones run 2.1 is make customer support easier for them but most of all instead of it being more of a tech gadget phone (i.e. geek, no offense to anyone) and make all there phones user friendly like the Iphone is to draw more customers to there phones.

This is just a idea I have but ill give it a shot.. maybe in an attempt to maximize profits verizon pits Google users against Iphone users sorta like they do in professional wrestling.. sounds alittle crazy but just listen.. Verizon, Google, and Apple all working together to write a sorta story line were its Google (Droid, Droid eris, nexus one) on one side Apple Iphone on the other u hold off the update till for a few weeks to get the pot stirring about the update then drop some news that the Iphone is coming out then release the update and then nexus one to max profits for spring and summer and make it look like Verizon is in complete support of google phones then they release the Iphone and Verizon supports them then google hits us with new features to keep us going and looks like Verizon supports google again then Apple releases new feature and back and forth we go with new apps and features and its a heated war but remember there both on the Verizon network so know matter what side your on Verizon, Google and Apple all win with huge profits but remember that could also push evolution for us and we end up all being happy cause is all goes to a much higher level of technology and apps and features then we could ever think of... this is just a shot in the dark why 2.1 was delayed.. but if I'm correct think how much this could all evolve.

Are you saying this could be marketing, designed to foment a "smartphone war"? On a couple of levels it does make some sense, but, how much reality it is remains to be seen. If Verizon is getting the iPhone, Apple may lock them in to some sort exclusivity of one form or another to handicap the Android offerings, and make the iPhone their flagship phone. I wouldn't be beyond Apple to demand that, at least, I don't think so. I don't see Steve Jobs letting his premiere product play second fiddle to anyone else's. On the other hand, having the Droid and the iPhone side by side would allow people to see them, in action, on the same network, compare them point by point, and see which one they like better. However, since the iPhone has so much product recognition out there, it could ultimately hurt the Droid sales, which makes me wonder why Verizon would consider carrying the iPhone, after all that they have invested in the Droid as far as marketing and what not goes.

I don't think the 2.1 update was delayed for that reason... I'm just not feeling it.

"I could probably name 30 or 40 apps right off the top of my head. "

Please do us the favor ...

What Google wants to do with making all there phones run 2.1 is make customer support easier for them but most of all instead of it being more of a tech gadget phone (i.e. geek, no offense to anyone) and make all there phones user friendly like the Iphone is to draw more customers to there phones.

I think what Google want is a platform that is uniform enough so that an app can be designed and used on all (or almost all) their platforms without having to write different code and test the app multiple times. This is the Android weakness and is where iPhone currently leads the way.

TimChgo9 said:
"Are you saying this could be marketing, designed to foment a "smartphone war"? On a couple of levels it does make some sense, but, how much reality it is remains to be seen. If Verizon is getting the iPhone, Apple may lock them in to some sort exclusivity of one form or another to handicap the Android offerings, and make the iPhone their flagship phone. I wouldn't be beyond Apple to demand that, at least, I don't think so. I don't see Steve Jobs letting his premiere product play second fiddle to anyone else's. On the other hand, having the Droid and the iPhone side by side would allow people to see them, in action, on the same network, compare them point by point, and see which one they like better. However, since the iPhone has so much product recognition out there, it could ultimately hurt the Droid sales, which makes me wonder why Verizon would consider carrying the iPhone, after all that they have invested in the Droid as far as marketing and what not goes.

I don't think the 2.1 update was delayed for that reason... I'm just not feeling it."

The reason Verizon wants to carry the Iphone is simply because it is going to sell the heck out of it. The only reason I didn't own an Iphone is because it wasn't on Verizons network. I waited so long for them to come out with a phone like the Droid.

I love my Droid, but if the Droid is going to compete with Iphone side by side they need to get it running and transitioning MUCH smoother. When I went in to buy my phone and had to compare the two side by side, I would have walked out with the Iphone. While the Droid has a keyboard, it isn't something I can actually use cause it sucks. And most importantly the Iphone operating system and user interface is much more polished.

Also I'm on my 3rd Droid cause my first two were so glitchy. They would just shut off and reboot all the time, or just shut off, and countless other problems. The only thing that got my phone saved is when I first started loading custom roms, and it's been great since. But the last time I took the phone back for replacement had I had the choice for the Iphone I would have been gone for good. But Verizon did not have a comparable phone.

Verizons downfall has always been till now that they didn't have any good phones. When Iphone comes to Verizon it will outsell the Droid 10-1. The droid is a guys phone cause it's so bulky with the useless keyboard. Women will choose the Iphone over the Droid most times, especially if they compare how they operate.

2.1 helps in a few ways, but the Droid as it is now designed sitting side by side with the Nexus One, HTC Incredible, and Iphone doesn't stand a chance.

If Motorola wants to stay in the game beyond the Droid it has to do better than the Devour. It has to compete with Nexus one and the Incredible. If anything, the Nexus One and Incredible will be the phones competing with the Iphone.

I love my Droid just like you guys but mostly cause I can change my operating system whenever I like. But lets be honest, Motorola lately doesn't seem to be showing that they want to compete with HTC or Apple. The Devour? Cmon... Unless Motorola gets moving quickly, I would be willing to bet 95% of us Droid owners at the end of our contracts "or before" will be taken by HTC or Apple.

2.1 will help, but it won't stop us from leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back