2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's gotta be that. If you load 2.1 onto different tilted space bars then some will work but the ones that are tilted too much brick.

And god forbid you have raised keys - those phone blew right up!

I think it's the space bar on the physical keyboard. It's not the exact same size and angle of the space bar on any other device.

It's definitely that.

You're right.

I think all spacebars should be created equal along with the other keys. Not being in an angle if you look very closely under certain lighting and degree of tilt when you hold the Droid to look at the angle of the spacebar key.
:)

Why does Frodo need his Gingerbread?

Fragmentation no more....waiting for updates from operators will be a thing of the past

Check this out. We shall all benefit greatly.

We had a couple people at CTIA last week -- people whose words carry weight -- tell us off the record that the next major version of Android would take big strides toward stopping the ugly trend toward severe fragmentation that has plagued the platform for much of this and last year. You know, the kind of fragmentation that has already left users running not one, not two, not three, but four distinct versions of the little green guy (1.5, 1.6, 2.0, and 2.1) depending on a seemingly arbitrary formula of hardware, carrier, region, software customization, and manufacturers' ability to push updates in a timely fashion. Put simply, Google's been iterating the core far faster than most of its partners have been able to keep up.

Thing is, in light of our CTIA conversations, we didn't have an idea of how Google planned on fixing this -- until now. We've been given reason to believe that the company will start by decoupling many of Android's standard applications and components from the platform's core and making them downloadable and updatable through the Market, much the same as they've already done with Maps. In all likelihood, this process will take place over two major Android versions, starting with Froyo and continuing through Gingerbread. Notice that we said apps and components, meaning that some core elements of Android -- input methods, for instance -- should get this treatment. This way, just because Google rolls out an awesome new browser doesn't mean you need to wait for HTC, Samsung, or whomever made your phone to roll it into a firmware update, and for your carrier to approve it -- almost all of the juicy user-facing stuff will happen through the Market.

The second part of this doubled-edged attack on platform fragmentation comes from a simple reality: we're hearing that Google may be nearing the end of its breakneck development pace on Android's core and shifting attention to apps and features. By the time we get to Froyo, the underlying platform -- and the API that devs need to target -- will be reaching legitimate maturity for the first time, which means we should have far fewer tasty treat-themed code names to worry about over the course of an average year. We like awesome new software as much as the next guy, but Google's been moving so fast lately that they've created a near constant culture of obsolescence anxiety among the hardcore user base -- and in turn, that leads to paralysis at the sales counter.

How much of this strategy actually materializes -- and how effective it is at changing the direction of the platform at large -- remains to be seen, but it sounds like a promising turn of events. Considering it's been a solid five months since the Eclair SDK premiered, that's an eternity in Google years; time to shake things up a bit, we reckon.

Source: Endgadget

Android is a huge problem now because of the fragmentation of the entire platform....So WWWW TTTTT FFFF is going ON? This isn't even funny any more...
I basically bought a Droid because I hate Apple, but now I hate Droid, Motorola, Verizon, and the whole kit.
So let's see. These companies fail to get out an update on time and may delay things a month or so. Now you hate them. I'd hate to think about how you feel if someone actually does something that one might consider a real "wrong."

ok...my post seems to have disappeared into thin air...

if i unroot, can i reinstall all my backed up apps onto 2.1? i dont want to lose them.

Thats because this is not a root thread but a 2.1 thread. Ask your root questions in the root threads.

Thats because this is not a root thread but a 2.1 thread. Ask your root questions in the root threads.
didnt you read my post? this is directly pertaining to the official 2.1 update.

yes, it just so happens that im rooted now...ok, now that thats hopefully absorbed...

i am anxious to unroot my droid when 2.1 comes out...

can backed up apps be installed on 2.1? there, the questions spelled out. im not asking anything about rooting my droid or rooting 2.1. i just dont know if backing up apps is a "root" thing or if it can be done on official OSs.

Read the thread.

If you want to talk about that you need to refer to it as "spanking the monkey" or you will get banned.

yes, it just so happens that im rooted now...ok, now that thats hopefully absorbed...

can backed up apps be installed on 2.1? there, the questions spelled out. im not asking anything about rooting my droid or rooting 2.1. i just dont know if backing up apps is a "root" thing or if it can be done on official OSs.

As someone said before take that question to the rooting thread. The rooters will know more about your question than us in this thread considering 95% of people in this thread are running stock.

This is my first post so excuse me... I was watching G4 TV today and Attack of the show was on and they said somthing about the iphone comming to Verizon in the 2nd quarter.. I didn't know if this also contributed to our delay to...

I googled it and it is confirmed by Apple on multiple news websites they have a CDMA iphone coming out in the 2nd quarter and it will be on verizon.. A lot of the sites are saying the reason for doing this is to stop google from out selling the iphone and to try to corner the whole smart phone market..

Im not sure but i think this will affect Google phones in the near future if it already hasn't affected us with this update to 2.1 .. The Iphone from reports will go active in September of this year. i know Google wants all there phones to go to 2.1 firmware but if Verizon turns there backs on Google and Goes to 100% support behind Iphone we all might lose out.. Maybe thats why Verizon hasnt made a single statement about 2.1 there more focused on other prospects.. and im sorry for rambling but its just a huge coincidence that this all happened in the same month.

you can do an Astro backup for your apps and it will work fine.

"How much of this strategy actually materializes "

I see it coming as fast as 2.1, and only if it serves to make them $$$.

i highly doubt that verizon is going to pullout of the android market. It has spent to much money in promoting and devoloping, and from what i have been reading the iphone is so limited i wonder how many people would convert from a droid even. the droid seems to be a phone for a more refined then the iphone. Plus google and its products are second to none. The maps and the search are excellent but we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back