2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
And let's be honest.... Verizon doesn't care what phone we buy.... just as long as we sign another 2 year contract with a data plan.

Once Verizon has the Nexus One, HTC Incredible and the Iphone I would be surpised if the Droid is even kept on the shelves.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/members/timchgo9.htmlThe reason Verizon wants to carry the Iphone is simply because it is going to sell the heck out of it. The only reason I didn't own an Iphone is because it wasn't on Verizons network. ...
2.1 will help, but it won't stop us from leaving.

There's others, like myself, who have never had the slightest desire to own an iPhone or any of the other apple products. The Droid is just what we wanted to begin with and not "settling" for something in any way. I'll upgrade my Android operating system phone in the future, but it won't be for an iPhone.

TimChgo9 said:
"Are you saying this could be marketing, designed to foment a "smartphone war"? On a couple of levels it does make some sense, but, how much reality it is remains to be seen. If Verizon is getting the iPhone, Apple may lock them in to some sort exclusivity of one form or another to handicap the Android offerings, and make the iPhone their flagship phone. I wouldn't be beyond Apple to demand that, at least, I don't think so. I don't see Steve Jobs letting his premiere product play second fiddle to anyone else's. On the other hand, having the Droid and the iPhone side by side would allow people to see them, in action, on the same network, compare them point by point, and see which one they like better. However, since the iPhone has so much product recognition out there, it could ultimately hurt the Droid sales, which makes me wonder why Verizon would consider carrying the iPhone, after all that they have invested in the Droid as far as marketing and what not goes.

I don't think the 2.1 update was delayed for that reason... I'm just not feeling it."

The reason Verizon wants to carry the Iphone is simply because it is going to sell the heck out of it. The only reason I didn't own an Iphone is because it wasn't on Verizons network. I waited so long for them to come out with a phone like the Droid.

I love my Droid, but if the Droid is going to compete with Iphone side by side they need to get it running and transitioning MUCH smoother. When I went in to buy my phone and had to compare the two side by side, I would have walked out with the Iphone. While the Droid has a keyboard, it isn't something I can actually use cause it sucks. And most importantly the Iphone operating system and user interface is much more polished.

Also I'm on my 3rd Droid cause my first two were so glitchy. They would just shut off and reboot all the time, or just shut off, and countless other problems. The only thing that got my phone saved is when I first started loading custom roms, and it's been great since. But the last time I took the phone back for replacement had I had the choice for the Iphone I would have been gone for good. But Verizon did not have a comparable phone.

Verizons downfall has always been till now that they didn't have any good phones. When Iphone comes to Verizon it will outsell the Droid 10-1. The droid is a guys phone cause it's so bulky with the useless keyboard. Women will choose the Iphone over the Droid most times, especially if they compare how they operate.

2.1 helps in a few ways, but the Droid as it is now designed sitting side by side with the Nexus One, HTC Incredible, and Iphone doesn't stand a chance.

If Motorola wants to stay in the game beyond the Droid it has to do better than the Devour. It has to compete with Nexus one and the Incredible. If anything, the Nexus One and Incredible will be the phones competing with the Iphone.

I love my Droid just like you guys but mostly cause I can change my operating system whenever I like. But lets be honest, Motorola lately doesn't seem to be showing that they want to compete with HTC or Apple. The Devour? Cmon... Unless Motorola gets moving quickly, I would be willing to bet 95% of us Droid owners at the end of our contracts "or before" will be taken by HTC or Apple.

2.1 will help, but it won't stop us from leaving.

I agree...but changing "operating system?" (last paragraph) Maybe you meant ROMs. Android will always be your operating system.

The rest i agree with. I am due for upgrade in November so i will be keeping tabs on the phones coming out. I do indeed love the droid but if there is a "better" (truly better) phone out with android OS i may change. I can honestly say that i wouldn't switch to iphone. (to restrictive) Besides if i get a iphone i would be spending hours on "jailbreaking"

No worry guys ANDROID is here to stay

Mr Kleen I would never move over to HTC or Apple : )

Ever.

But thats a whole other discussion.

Motorola will stay in the game with the Droid with future iterations. They won't make the mistake of RIM and HTC by turning out 13,000 phones a year with no flagship model.

RIM and HTC come out with a phone then 6 months later a "better" one comes along.

It's become the norm for those companies. Not to mention they are so busy churning out new phones that their QC suffers. Use Cheap parts and keep churning something new out has become SOP for them.

Moto on the other hand looks to be following a completely different business model. They differentiate themselves by having entry level devices on up. The Droid obviously their flagship device.

From the looks of it it doesn't appear they will stray from this model which makes sense.

HTC and RIM have not created a brand/flagship. Motorola has.

I bought an Iphone none contract 2 years ago and i have the Droid .. the Droid stock is even better then my Iphone jailbroken. Yes the Iphone has 10 to 1 apps over Google's apps but 20 to 1 are useless on the Iphone apps and 30 to 1 they cost money on the Iphone..I think with this 2.1 upgrade and eventually flash (which you will never see on an Iphone cause apple hates flash) you will see alot more apps pop up in the Google app store...:icon_ banana:
Well said, I have nothing but patience in regards to the 2.1 update, it'll happen when it happens.

Mr Kleen I would never move over to HTC or Apple : )

Ever.

But thats a whole other discussion.

Motorola will stay in the game with the Droid with future iterations. They won't make the mistake of RIM and HTC by turning out 13,000 phones a year with no flagship model.

RIM and HTC come out with a phone then 6 months later a "better" one comes along.

It's become the norm for those companies. Not to mention they are so busy churning out new phones that their QC suffers. Use Cheap parts and keep churning something new out has become SOP for them.

Moto on the other hand looks to be following a completely different business model. They differentiate themselves by having entry level devices on up. The Droid obviously their flagship device.

From the looks of it it doesn't appear they will stray from this model which makes sense.

HTC and RIM have not created a brand/flagship. Motorola has.

I def agree that HTC comes up with a better phone real quickly but i thought that the TOUCHPRO Series were the flagship phones. Well..they used to be at least.

Is it allowed to link posts from other forums? I just saw THIS just now.

And just in case that post gets deleted, here is the copied text:

just got an email today saying that they are releasing the new 2.1 update starting today.

Quote:
DROID by Motorola: Software Enhancements

Effective Date: 3/30/2010

Starting 03/30, Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update for the DROID by Motorola. Users will be able to upgrade their software to version AP: ESE53/BP: C_01.3E.03P to receive new improvements and enhancements.

Key Advantages:

* Email: Yahoo Mail is now supported and the customer can simply sign in with their Yahoo! Email address and password. Note: Yahoo! Email is not available over Wi-Fi
* Pinch to Zoom now available in the Browser, Maps, and Gallery
* Speech-to-Text: Customers can now use their voice instead of typing whenever a text-entry box appears
* Google Goggles is now preloaded
* The new Gallery application uses 3D layout and shows both pictures taken with the customers¿ Android device and images from the Picasa Web Albums account online

Download & Install Conditions:

* An OTA download requires 40% or more power availability if the device is not connected to an external power source or 20% or more power if it is connected to an external source
* If roaming, the customer will not receive the update. The only option in this scenario is for the subscriber to enable Wi-Fi and wait for a mandatory OTA. The wait period in this case will not be more than 12 hours
* User must wait to receive the upgrade via OTA
* User is unable to make or receive calls, including emergency calls during this time
* Users will see the following information when they select More info on the update screen: This software update includes new enhancements to support Yahoo! Email, pinch-to-zoom, and many other improvements for your DROID by Motorola. You will be unable to use your device or make emergency calls for the duration of the install. The software updates automatically, and your DROID will power off and on as part of this software upgrade. For more information please visit: www.verizonwireless.com/droidsupport.

I bought an Iphone none contract 2 years ago and i have the Droid .. the Droid stock is even better then my Iphone jailbroken. Yes the Iphone has 10 to 1 apps over Google's apps but 20 to 1 are useless on the Iphone apps and 30 to 1 they cost money on the Iphone..I think with this 2.1 upgrade and eventually flash (which you will never see on an Iphone cause apple hates flash) you will see alot more apps pop up in the Google app store...:icon_ banana:
Well said, I have nothing but patience in regards to the 2.1 update, it'll happen when it happens.

Agreed. Granted I have "milked the cow" since day one but if the OTA does offer up a compelling reason to "bottle the milk" (ooh that's new, eh?). I will. Until then this device is arguably the best I have seen and owned. As for a stock Droid being better than an iPhone, yup. You got that right. The apps are coming in at a frenetic pace on the market and there are some REALLY good ones Free and Paid alike. Not to mention I can do all sorts of silly little things... like you know. CHANGE THE BATTERY and ADD MEMORY via microSD. These are things that you will NEVER see on an Apple device, EVER.

I love my droid but the iPhone would be 10x more productive for me if it was with Verizon. I would probably make the switch. Even knowing the wrath it would bring from the wife and that is enough to make any mortal man switch to a RAZR. lol

That's interesting because I found the BlackBerry to be more productive for me than the Droid. That said, I'd never trade back, I love my Droid!

Is it allowed to link posts from other forums? I just saw THIS just now.

And just in case that post gets deleted, here is the copied text:

just got an email today saying that they are releasing the new 2.1 update starting today.

Quote:
DROID by Motorola: Software Enhancements

Effective Date: 3/30/2010

Starting 03/30, Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update for the DROID by Motorola. Users will be able to upgrade their software to version AP: ESE53/BP: C_01.3E.03P to receive new improvements and enhancements.

Key Advantages:

* Email: Yahoo Mail is now supported and the customer can simply sign in with their Yahoo! Email address and password. Note: Yahoo! Email is not available over Wi-Fi
* Pinch to Zoom now available in the Browser, Maps, and Gallery
* Speech-to-Text: Customers can now use their voice instead of typing whenever a text-entry box appears
* Google Goggles is now preloaded
* The new Gallery application uses 3D layout and shows both pictures taken with the customers¿ Android device and images from the Picasa Web Albums account online

Download & Install Conditions:

* An OTA download requires 40% or more power availability if the device is not connected to an external power source or 20% or more power if it is connected to an external source
* If roaming, the customer will not receive the update. The only option in this scenario is for the subscriber to enable Wi-Fi and wait for a mandatory OTA. The wait period in this case will not be more than 12 hours
* User must wait to receive the upgrade via OTA
* User is unable to make or receive calls, including emergency calls during this time
* Users will see the following information when they select More info on the update screen: This software update includes new enhancements to support Yahoo! Email, pinch-to-zoom, and many other improvements for your DROID by Motorola. You will be unable to use your device or make emergency calls for the duration of the install. The software updates automatically, and your DROID will power off and on as part of this software upgrade. For more information please visit: www.verizonwireless.com/droidsupport.

huh :icon_eek:

We will see if they are really taking that end of Q1 seriously.

Yoohoo, VZW, over here! My phone is on and my battery is fully charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back