2.1 ESE53 will be Official Release on the VZW Motorola Droid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you really compare an airplane to cell phone software?

Really?

It amuses me how so many people think it should be such a piece cake for a large company to update and push software.

Lets ignore the fact that we are dealing with millions of lines of code here. Once engineering has a 'release candidate' build it goes to testing. If any bug is found in testing that is deemed serious enough to prevent distribution it goes back to engineering. Once they find and fix the bug and build a new release candidate testing starts over from the beginning. So, while they MAY be able to find and fix a bug in a day or so, the release is still usually delayed by several weeks due to testing having to be completely redone.

And then there are those who simply choose not to care... Its not their problem, and they want 2.1 because they want it... NOW. Same mentality as the person on the airplane who makes a big scene because their flight is being delayed, and they are being inconvenienced by that delay. Never mind that the problem is mechanical, and the airplane isnt safe to fly, they just want to leave. Now. After all, the schedule SAID that the flight was supposed to leave 20 minutes ago.

Or 20 weeks ago, but yea, who cares about the details, right? :huh:

I think it's the space bar on the physical keyboard. It's not the exact same size and angle of the space bar on any other device.

It's definitely that.

You're right.

I think all spacebars should be created equal along with the other keys. Not being in an angle if you look very closely under certain lighting and degree of tilt when you hold the Droid to look at the angle of the spacebar key.
:)

So, when do we decide that the update isn't coming, and that which cannot be named becomes the only option?

Update will come, question is will anyone still own a Droid when it does. :laugh:

Did you really compare an airplane to cell phone software?

Really?

He's not comparing the software and the airplane, he is using both as examples of consumer's attitudes. When I worked at Gateway, we often quoted a "5 day turnaround" on most systems, because it was a pretty safe time frame to quote. If someone dropped off a system on Monday, we would have it done by Friday, and that gave us enough time to troubleshoot, diagnose and even order parts (2 day shipping) replace parts, and test to make sure it worked right. That being said, sometimes we went beyond the five days because of problems, (parts on back order, more problems than the customer reported, etc...). Sometimes customers would accept the delay in stride, and just wanted us to make sure everything worked right. Other customers would get angry because we didn't deliver when scheduled. Didn't matter the reason, it was the fact that we didn't deliver as scheduled, they wanted their system back, and they wanted it back now, didn't matter if the hard drive crashed, or we discovered multiple hardware problems, or the part needed was back ordered. Some people were willing to take back an incomplete system, because we were at the 5 day deadline, and didn't care if it was done or not. We said 5 days, and at 5 days, they expected the system back, period.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what the issue is, be it a delayed flight, undelivered OTA update, delayed repair, whatever it is, some people want the schedule met, regardless of what is standing in the way, and others are willing to be patient. That is what we are seeing here, some of us are impatient, and others aren't. And, some people while not willing to accept a delay, also will not accept the incomplete, even though they want the deadline met..

I think this guy is yelling that 2.1 is coming :icon_ banana:

Paul_Revere_s_Ride.jpg

I listen to several tech podcasts, and I'm betting many of you here do also.
Android is a huge problem now because of the fragmentation of the entire platform.
It wasn't supposed to go this way.

So WWWW TTTTT FFFF is going ON? This isn't even funny any more.

It was sort of funny in a sad way in January when we all realized that the companies involved couldn't handle their own $%$%.

But now it's not funny, because we have to realize that these people that we committed to for two years don't have a clue. They can't code, they can't push, they have no QA, and they really don't even know how the whole thing is supposed to work.

I basically bought a Droid because I hate Apple, but now I hate Droid, Motorola, Verizon, and the whole kit.

Blame the hardware manufacturers. Its just as much their fault that there is fragementation, if not more so.

I'm sick of all the rumours and waiting. i'm going to milk the goat (or whatever the new term is called)

The goat enjoyed my milking last night!

But still would be nice to get some things fixed. Even today, the gmail app just makes makes me mad. Why do pics not come through? I understand the exchange problems as MS controls some of that. But why does Gmail not work right?

So, while the goat milk is so sweet, I want the real thing. LOL

Fragmentation no more....waiting for updates from operators will be a thing of the past

Check this out. We shall all benefit greatly.

We had a couple people at CTIA last week -- people whose words carry weight -- tell us off the record that the next major version of Android would take big strides toward stopping the ugly trend toward severe fragmentation that has plagued the platform for much of this and last year. You know, the kind of fragmentation that has already left users running not one, not two, not three, but four distinct versions of the little green guy (1.5, 1.6, 2.0, and 2.1) depending on a seemingly arbitrary formula of hardware, carrier, region, software customization, and manufacturers' ability to push updates in a timely fashion. Put simply, Google's been iterating the core far faster than most of its partners have been able to keep up.

Thing is, in light of our CTIA conversations, we didn't have an idea of how Google planned on fixing this -- until now. We've been given reason to believe that the company will start by decoupling many of Android's standard applications and components from the platform's core and making them downloadable and updatable through the Market, much the same as they've already done with Maps. In all likelihood, this process will take place over two major Android versions, starting with Froyo and continuing through Gingerbread. Notice that we said apps and components, meaning that some core elements of Android -- input methods, for instance -- should get this treatment. This way, just because Google rolls out an awesome new browser doesn't mean you need to wait for HTC, Samsung, or whomever made your phone to roll it into a firmware update, and for your carrier to approve it -- almost all of the juicy user-facing stuff will happen through the Market.

The second part of this doubled-edged attack on platform fragmentation comes from a simple reality: we're hearing that Google may be nearing the end of its breakneck development pace on Android's core and shifting attention to apps and features. By the time we get to Froyo, the underlying platform -- and the API that devs need to target -- will be reaching legitimate maturity for the first time, which means we should have far fewer tasty treat-themed code names to worry about over the course of an average year. We like awesome new software as much as the next guy, but Google's been moving so fast lately that they've created a near constant culture of obsolescence anxiety among the hardcore user base -- and in turn, that leads to paralysis at the sales counter.

How much of this strategy actually materializes -- and how effective it is at changing the direction of the platform at large -- remains to be seen, but it sounds like a promising turn of events. Considering it's been a solid five months since the Eclair SDK premiered, that's an eternity in Google years; time to shake things up a bit, we reckon.

Source: Endgadget

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back