4.0.4 update zip!

Does anyone think there is any difference in the end results between updating with the update zip or the full updated ROM?

So no matter what installation method, this breaks root?

breaking root shouldn't be big deal as all it takes is one keypress on pc and you're back to being rooted.

breaking root shouldn't be big deal as all it takes is one keypress on pc and you're back to being rooted.

The only reason I am interested in 4.0.4 is for more consistent reception. I flashed the radio package and it didn't do squat. Are there actual workings in the rom itself which increase and maintain reception aside from the radios?

Just use this ROM: [ROM]IMM30B 4.0.4 Stock,rooted,deodexed,zipaligned,busybox,insecure boot + mods zips - xda-developers

Download this specifically: Rooted,De-odexed,Zip-aligned ROM With Stock Insecure Boot Image And New Radios & Bootloader

Follow the installation instructions (clear Dalvik cache) and you will have 4.0.4 with root. It was an easy upgrade for me and I also installed some of the other add-ons on that thread (like the battery mod in status bar). 4.0.4 is butter smooth and has gotten rid of all stutter in the homescreens and app screens. Also Wifi to 3G/4G handoff is near instant now, which was one of my biggest complaints.

I haven't noticed any improvement in 4G speeds, but reception seems more consistent and I do think that the number of bars being reported has been tweaked.

i've noticed that 4.0.4 got rid of random reboots. my phone has been running without reboot for over 5 days now when before i'd reboot every few days.

The only reason I am interested in 4.0.4 is for more consistent reception. I flashed the radio package and it didn't do squat. Are there actual workings in the rom itself which increase and maintain reception aside from the radios?

Can someone answer the last part? Radios alone didn't do crap for me either.

i've noticed that 4.0.4 got rid of random reboots. my phone has been running without reboot for over 5 days now when before i'd reboot every few days.

in all the time i had this phone, since launch, i have never experienced a random reboot.
questions regarding this update, sorry if they have been answered already
1 - Is the batter life improved?
2 - Is the camera quality still the same?

in all the time i had this phone, since launch, i have never experienced a random reboot.
questions regarding this update, sorry if they have been answered already
1 - Is the batter life improved?
2 - Is the camera quality still the same?

Here is a user discovered changelog for 4.0.4 from xda forums: 4.0.4 Unofficial Changelog *Update2 02/05* - xda-developers

• Noticeably Faster
  • Android OS bug fixed (in battery stats)
  • Long-pressing on a blank spot on the last page of app tray bug is gone
  • New Radios. 3G/4G switching MUCH better. Don't even notice it changing.
  • Improved signal strength
  • New Power Menu. New from 4.0.2, familiar to those who have used a stock 4.0.3 rom. Screenshot here
  • PRIMELA03 Bootloader
  • Faster boot up time
  • Auto-brightness Functionality changed. Smooth transition
  • Holding down camera button now refocuses again
  • Multitouch issue seems resolved. Screenshot here
  • Autorotate is faster
  • Browser performance noticeably improved
  • Recent apps list opens faster
  • Miscellaneous camera UI changes
  • Increased volume
  • Keyboard fixes
  • Updated News & Weather app UI
  • Improved quick controls in browser. New when coming from 4.0.2. Present in 4.0.3. Screenshot here (Update: 02/05)
I can vouch for most of these things on the list.

I haven't noticed any improvement in 4G speeds, but reception seems more consistent and I do think that the number of bars being reported has been tweaked.
They definitely tweaked the amount of bars shown for the same dBm reading.. so the perception is you have better signal when its actually the same.. I think I actually like it better this way..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

They definitely tweaked the amount of bars shown for the same dBm reading.. so the perception is you have better signal when its actually the same.. I think I actually like it better this way..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
I do too...however it isn't all just topical. They have significantly enhanced the handoff between Wifi and 3G/4G. It is much much better now in 4.0.4 and was one of my major gripes in 4.0.2.

Data transmission, in and out.

Sorry for the delay in posting this but THANK YOU for your VERY fast answer to my question. Was driving me crazy trying to figure that out and am embarrassed that I didn't think of that. :)

Back