anybody know when verizon galaxy nexus is getting the official jelly bean update

Have a question. Will the new radios always be there or only on the ROM I'm running and I will have to flash them again when changing ROMs?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums
You'll have to flash it everytime you change ROMs.

I thought they stayed, but I found out they didn't. I got reverted back to the "EK" radios when I flashed AOKP. Was wondering why my signal was a bit weak :D

I thought they stayed, but I found out they didn't. I got reverted back to the "EK" radios when I flashed AOKP. Was wondering why my signal was a bit weak :D

Huh?...ROMs don't overwrite radios...They don't include them because its an easy way to brick.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

A ROM should only include the necessary system files, a kernel, and possibly whatever else they want to add. I am not sure what you did, or downloaded, but ROMs shouldn't change your basebands or bootloaders. Since they are installable via update.zip , yes it is possible for a ROM to have all of that in one package (recovery would be changeable too). Also, yes it has been done, DT did it with 4.0.4 I believe. But he stopped after folks complained, as a bad download/flash can leave you with at least a temporary brick.

tl;dr No, your radios should stay with ROM flashes.

Edit: I typed that very slow apparently, as I got beated.

A ROM should only include the necessary system files, a kernel, and possibly whatever else they want to add. I am not sure what you did, or downloaded, but ROMs shouldn't change your basebands or bootloaders. Since they are installable via update.zip , yes it is possible for a ROM to have all of that in one package (recovery would be changeable too). Also, yes it has been done, DT did it with 4.0.4 I believe. But he stopped after folks complained, as a bad download/flash can leave you with at least a temporary brick.

You were far more thorough. I was lazy. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sweet I get 1x up here with the new radio. 1 bar lol

Edit: I get 3g up here woooo

cupfulloflol said:

That's what I thought but for some reason my radios changed which I found odd and just noticed this morning.

cupfulloflol said:

Okay thanks everyone.

That's what I thought but for some reason my radios changed which I found odd and just noticed this morning.

Yeah unless you flashed back to stock, or manually installed older radios, a custom ROM should not have anything to do with radios. Also, the EK radios, are 4.0.1 > 4.0.3 (depending on specific radios). I can't imagine why a ROM would force those on it's users at this point anyhow.

I'm getting about the same signal as before (fine by me, always been great). Btw, MD5 Checker is a sweet app!

Yeah unless you flashed back to stock, or manually installed older radios, a custom ROM should not have anything to do with radios. Also, the EK radios, are 4.0.1 > 4.0.3 (depending on specific radios). I can't imagine why a ROM would force those on it's users at this point anyhow.
Hmm I did have to go back to stock awhile back, soft bricked it :doh:

Thought I had updated the radios back to 4.0.4 at least. My mistake lol

cupfulloflol said:
That could possibly explain that mystery then.

Yeah pretty sure that's it. Lol apologies to whoever I told wrong. User error lol

dezymond said:
Yeah pretty sure that's it. Lol apologies to whoever I told wrong. User error lol

That would be me. Its all good. You have helped me numerous times with other stuff.

I just read this over at Phandroid.com that JB was leaked online. Here's the article that includes the link:
JRO03O Jelly Bean update for Verizon’s Galaxy Nexus available for download

And here's another article for those who have rooted their Nexi:

Rooted, flashable JRO03O Jelly Bean build for Verizon Galaxy Nexus now available

If you've already heard then you're probably already running it. If not then hurry on over! Just be aware it's not the final build, but the official OTA shouldn't be far off if this is in the wild.

Back