[ROM] CyanogenMod 9 [BETA] (DX) (8/19)

Open your gtalk app and press your menu button then select settings and you should find that option in there.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

SBF'ing now back to 602. Que Sera Sera.
Not sure i will come back to CM9 or not. I was very happy with Vortex, but just wanted to mess around with some other ROMs.
Is there a good reason to use this CM9, or should i just stick with Vortex. Or is there a better Rom out there.
I am mostly using it as a gaming phone for my son, and a ROM toy for myself. So phone and text and the like do not need to work. the camera is a must however. Thoughts?
And thanks for the Help?

As a all around everyday rom vortex is hard to beat. Everything works great. For what you need the phone for i would just stick with vortex. That's just my opinion...

I really wish I could get the battery life of vortex with the set up of a true ics rom.

Sent from your mom's house using my Droid X

Thanks for all the help. I was able to SBF, root, and restore my vortex backup without a problem. After doing some more reading online I think I will take your suggestion and I'll be sticking with Vortex for the time being. It is good to know that no matter what i do I can always SBF back. Too bad it is such a pain to enter clockwork on this phone. There are so many ways, and so few work reliably. I suppose we have Motorola to thank for that. Again thanks for the assistance.

As a follow up.
Supposing i do flash CM9 again, which i am sure i will eventually. The thing i did wrong previously was to try to enter Clockwork via bootstrap. If i had entered Clockwork recovery through the power off menu it would have worked, and i would otherwise have been fine, is that correct. Also i will flash Gapps immediately after flashing CM9, but that shouldn't have been the cause of my problem.
There's just something about craving ICS, I cant stay away.

If your on Vortex now just long press your power button and you should be able to select reboot recovery so just do that to get in clockwork recovery. Then wipe data and cache partition then select advanced and wipe davlik. Next install cm9 and as soon as it says installation complete select choose zip from sd card and find your gapps zip and install. When thats complete just select reboot system and you'll be good to go.

So is the bootstrap just the way to get into Clockwork recovery the first time so you can flash a new rom. Do i need to keep downloading and installing the bootstrap for every rom, or does each rom have a way to enter clockwork recovery built into it?

Yep your correct. All these newer roms have recovery built into the power menu so you don't need to install the bootstrap app.

That is good to know.
I just downloaded the Rom Toolbox, and it has a number of roms "built in to download." Have you ever used the Rom toolbox? And specifically i was thinking about the gummynex rom listed. Do you know if it is any good? how does it compare to CM9?

I wouldn't use rom toolbox to install roms. Don't use it myself and have heard of people having issues with it installing roms. If you want the latest gummy you'll find it here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-roms/203375-aosp-4-0-4-cdma-gummy-1-2-0-5-9-12-beta.html i can't tell ya much about the latest gummy cuz i didn't run it long enough but plenty of people like it. My favorite ics rom is aokp http://rootzwiki.com/topic/22737-romaokp-milestone-5-for-droid-x-428-unofficial/ you'll find the difference here between cm9 and aokp http://knowmydroid.com/blog/what-is-aokp-rom-how-is-it-different-from-cm9

SBF'ing now back to 602. Que Sera Sera.
Not sure i will come back to CM9 or not. I was very happy with Vortex, but just wanted to mess around with some other ROMs.
Is there a good reason to use this CM9, or should i just stick with Vortex. Or is there a better Rom out there.
I am mostly using it as a gaming phone for my son, and a ROM toy for myself. So phone and text and the like do not need to work. the camera is a must however. Thoughts?
And thanks for the Help?

Camera works. FWIW, my favorite GB rom was Liberty 3 v2. I use CM9 because I love the ICS interface. It is about 100,000x better, IMO. I have noticed that the battery life is not anywhere near what Liberty's was. Also, if you are having issues with CWM, you can flash it from ROM Manager free or pro.

Do i need to flash gapps over this(AOKP), or is it included? also what is the process for entering clockwork after flashing this?
I'll try anything.

nevermind the gapps. i found the answer. It mentions that i need a gingerbread kernel. which kernal should i have?

I wouldn't use rom toolbox to install roms. Don't use it myself and have heard of people having issues with it installing roms. If you want the latest gummy you'll find it here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-roms/203375-aosp-4-0-4-cdma-gummy-1-2-0-5-9-12-beta.html i can't tell ya much about the latest gummy cuz i didn't run it long enough but plenty of people like it. My favorite ics rom is aokp [ROM] AOKP Build 35 for Droid X [5/9] [UNOFFICIAL] - Droid X Development - RootzWiki you'll find the difference here between cm9 and aokp What is AOKP ROM? How Is It Different From CM9? | Know My Droid

Last edited:
Your fine to install any of the ics roms from right where your at and yes you need to install gapps also on all the ics roms.

just flashed AOKP and GAPPS and rebooting. how long should i be seeing the stupid unicorn? think it has been about five minutes now. getting nervous.

over fifteen min so i'm pulling the battery. wish me luck.

damn, watching the unicorn again. its angry face is making me angry. what have i done.

Last edited:
Back