Droid 2 Miui install/bug/questions&answers thread.

Tried every single method you could think of and never even heard of. Let me run you the list of methods I've done:

- back up original bootanimation in /system/media and switch it out with custom (fail)
- place custom bootanimation in /data/local with reboot (fail)
- adb push over to /data/local (fail)
- terminal emulator push over to /data/local (fail)
- adb push over to /system/media (fail)
- terminal emulator push over to /system/media (fail)
- adb push over to /data/local and /system/media at once (fail)
- terminal push over to /data/local and /system/media at once (fail)
- pull apart original bootanimation, delete all JPEG images and replace with custom images (fail)
- pull apart original bootanimation, delete all JPEG images, fill in with custom JPEG and reorder in the same numbers as original:

0000.jpg to 0027.jpg in part0 and 0000.jpg to 0027.jpg in part1 (fail)

- pull apart original bootanimation, delete all JPEG images, fill in with custom JPEG and reorder in the same numbers AND same original file names (fail)

- redo the desc.txt in custom bootanimation to match that of desc.txt in original bootanimation (fail)

I've repeated all these steps for 3 different custom bootanimations and all have failed similarly.

What I do notice is, when I replaced custom bootanimation with original, it was back to normal showing the ugly bootanimation.

My conclusion? Something is calling onto the CRC matchup (or maybe MD5's?) and allowing the original bootanimation to go through but stops custom animations from going through.

At least I've narrowed my search down to the fact that it isn't a ROM issue or Theme Manager issue. It's a file issue that does the approval of what goes through.

Tried every single method you could think of and never even heard of. Let me run you the list of methods I've done:

- back up original bootanimation in /system/media and switch it out with custom (fail)
- place custom bootanimation in /data/local with reboot (fail)
- adb push over to /data/local (fail)
- terminal emulator push over to /data/local (fail)
- adb push over to /system/media (fail)
- terminal emulator push over to /system/media (fail)
- adb push over to /data/local and /system/media at once (fail)
- terminal push over to /data/local and /system/media at once (fail)
- pull apart original bootanimation, delete all JPEG images and replace with custom images (fail)
- pull apart original bootanimation, delete all JPEG images, fill in with custom JPEG and reorder in the same numbers as original:

0000.jpg to 0027.jpg in part0 and 0000.jpg to 0027.jpg in part1 (fail)

- pull apart original bootanimation, delete all JPEG images, fill in with custom JPEG and reorder in the same numbers AND same original file names (fail)

- redo the desc.txt in custom bootanimation to match that of desc.txt in original bootanimation (fail)

I've repeated all these steps for 3 different custom bootanimations and all have failed similarly.

What I do notice is, when I replaced custom bootanimation with original, it was back to normal showing the ugly bootanimation.

My conclusion? Something is calling onto the CRC matchup (or maybe MD5's?) and allowing the original bootanimation to go through but stops custom animations from going through.

At least I've narrowed my search down to the fact that it isn't a ROM issue or Theme Manager issue. It's a file issue that does the approval of what goes through.

My hat is off to you, my friend...that is some SERIOUS troubleshooting.

But I think the solution is obvious, you need a bigger hammer. ;-)

OK! I believe you! I wonder if it has something to do with 2nd init or hijack of init?

CM74D2

Is SS AOSP-based, or de-blurred Moto GB?

It is an AOSP ROM built off CM7.

SSX v2.0

Cool...let the onslaught begin. Have you hear how it fares with battery life yet compared to CM4DX and MIUI on the DX?

I haven't tried MIUI yet, but it gets better battery than CM7. It only has 10% battery increments though in this build. There is a workaround for 1% battery increments but I can't get them to work on my phone.

SSX v2.0

Dang... I think I would have given up after not being able to change it out in system/media! You either have a ton of patience, or the animation is just that bad. :D

SSX v2.0

First it was Cyanogenmod, then Liquid, MIUI, and now SS? Now all I need is ProjectElite to come over and my right nipple will explode.

Droid 2 MIUI 1.7.22.1

Wait did you say SS is on the droid 2???

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

No. I don't believe so. I believe it's a file, or whatever, checking in on the matchup of names, numbers, CRC and possibly MD5.

I did another trick by leaving the original bootanimation in place but replacing the JPEG only with the custom JPEG. Rebooted, got nothing. Deleted the custom JPEGs and put the original JPEGs back into the bootanimation. This was all done inside Root Explorer. Once I took out the custom JPEGs and originals were back in their place, rebooted, the bootanimation came back on.

I gotta admit, that's some weird stuff going on there, lol.

It is an AOSP ROM built off CM7.

SSX v2.0

Cool...let the onslaught begin. Have you hear how it fares with battery life yet compared to CM4DX and MIUI on the DX?

I haven't tried MIUI yet, but it gets better battery than CM7. It only has 10% battery increments though in this build. There is a workaround for 1% battery increments but I can't get them to work on my phone.

SSX v2.0

I downloaded the latest MIUI with patch and it's working fine with 1% increments.

Im checking out MIUI and so far Im liking it, the only thing I miss is being able to customize LED notifications like in CM7. Is it possible to do on MIUI?

EDIT: My apps didnt restore through the market can I use Titanium and restore my apps w/ data?

Last edited:

SSX v2.0

I downloaded the latest MIUI with patch and it's working fine with 1% increments.

Yes, there is a setting in Settings for 1% increments, no work-around needed.

Im checking out MIUI and so far Im liking it, the only thing I miss is being able to customize LED notifications like in CM7. Is it possible to do on MIUI?

EDIT: My apps didnt restore through the market can I use Titanium and restore my apps w/ data?

If you've installed the most recent version (the .1 release) then all you may need to do is wipe cache for market and reboot.

I usually setup my phone to always vibrate on silent mode and audio, but when I turn "Only in silent mode" to off, it doesn't vibrate at all.

Back