Droid update this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes there is a direct correlation there. Please download the patch guys when it's available to you. I have more on 2.1 also but we WON"T see 2.1 until this release is out there :).

Thats annoying...

Why exactly is it annoying? While i'm sure we all want to see 2.1 ASAP; this isn't the first time an OS update has ever had prerequisites that are released as updates prior to the actual new OS. Microsoft has done the same exact thing with most of it's Windows Service Packs, a set of prereqs are usually pushed out about a week ahead of the release to ensure a smooth transition.

And in some cases, if the SP is attempted to be installed without installing the prereqs first, it breaks things. Badly.

Its annoying because instead of getting a notice of what is updated or what we know is changed on our phone we just get the simple answer of a prerequisite. That is how its annoying.

Thats annoying...

Why exactly is it annoying? While i'm sure we all want to see 2.1 ASAP; this isn't the first time an OS update has ever had prerequisites that are released as updates prior to the actual new OS. Microsoft has done the same exact thing with most of it's Windows Service Packs, a set of prereqs are usually pushed out about a week ahead of the release to ensure a smooth transition.

And in some cases, if the SP is attempted to be installed without installing the prereqs first, it breaks things. Badly.

Its annoying because instead of getting a notice of what is updated or what we know is changed on our phone we just get the simple answer of a prerequisite. That is how its annoying.

I understand you. I am hoping to have a change log or a better reason at some point this week :). I still only see a few hundred who have gotten it. Once it starts to really ramp up we'll get an official announcement i'm sure.

Sorry if this has been answered before, but if I am rooted with a costum ROM, will I get this update? And if I do should I install it, or it could mess things up.
Please don't tear me to shreds cause I'm a little confused

Under our rights as owning the phone, I believe if an update has happened some form of the original settings must be changed in order to provide evidence of a change between past and present.
What? Are you talking about a law or something? There are none. There are a bunch of hippies on the internet that worry about it. I guarantee whatever this update does is within the terms of service you agreed to when you got the phone and service.

If someone has ordered the phone today the 18th or after please let everyone know whether your build, kernel or firmwire number is different because verizon would have already manufactured phones with the most recent software.
This just isn't true at all. I'd say with 90% certainty that any phone manufactured today won't have this update, and it'll probably be at least a couple weeks before anyone buys a phone with it.

My take is this is probably part of the 2.1 update. It's a big update with no apparent changes, including no change in the OS version. Looks like it's not doing anything. Distribute the update over a longer time and reduce the strain on the network.

To the people who have gotten the update, did you have to reboot afterwards?

Still have Firmware 2.0

My firmware version is still 2.0.

Back in December my phone showed an error code of a triange with an ! through it. I have contacted Verizon and Motorolla repeatedly both of whom told me to be patient.

The system update states my phone is currently up to date. I doubt it because my camera auto-focus is still terrible.

Is anyone else out there still stuck with Firmware 2.0 (Not 2.0.1 or 2.1)?

Back in December my phone showed an error code of a triange with an ! through it. I have contacted Verizon and Motorolla repeatedly both of whom told me to be patient.

The system update states my phone is currently up to date. I doubt it because my camera auto-focus is still terrible.

It would be nice if you could post a nandroid backup of 2.0, i'm sure a lot of people would love to have it.

It definitely seems like part of a kernel update, as 60+MB isn't something for nothing. It may not change your firmware version or kernel version, as it's likely unpacking the files in a backup system directory for install when the 2.1 update package becomes available. You guys should be checking for changes in your system directories or an additional system directory in the root.

Since the 2.1 photo gallery is 3D, OpenGL ES 2.0 optimizations were likely made for the TI OMAP/PVR SGX (we wouldn't want a sluggish photo gallery, would we?). Added textures, code, and updated system files can quickly approach over 75MB. Verizon probably had to split up the update between core system files and the 2.1 flash/updater. They obviously also stagger it so they don't overload their systems, so we all can't get it at the same time.

It's just speculation on my part, but it seems likely.

Last edited:

Are you the first owner of that phone?
Has it ever been rooted?

Thats annoying...

Depending on just how "behind the scenes" the purpose of the update is, it could be that the specifics of exactly what it does are too technical for the general public to understand.

Think of it the same way some Windows updates are described - "This update enhances security" - not very specific.

Depending on just how "behind the scenes" the purpose of the update is, it could be that the specifics of exactly what it does are too technical for the general public to understand.

Think of it the same way some Windows updates are described - "This update enhances security" - not very specific.

Still it tells what it does and I would personally prefer even if too technical for the general public a little info on what it does.

Still it tells what it does and I would personally prefer even if too technical for the general public a little info on what it does.
Are you for real? Deal with it. Every once in a while you get a notification that your phone has to update, how annoying can that possibly be?

Look at what people are saying -- it doesn't do anything you can see. It gets your phone closer to being ready to update. Who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back