Droid update this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am kind of wondering is there a possibility that the update is being sent to people who rooted. I am not sure how they would know if you are rooted or not but if they some how knew they want to get everyone back to a clean 2.0.1 so everyone is on the same page. Only reason I am wondering this is because everyone who reported the update said its the same as the one from december. The mod said it is a maintence update, wondering if you know for sure this is a maintence update everyone will eventually get?? Also in michigan and no update.

Not trying to sound like a bother, but I've had this thread on notify for actual information regarding the update which it has been until people started posting that they didn't have the update. As said earlier in the thread the last updates were random and followed no pattern. All you get from posting if you've not gotten the update is +1 to your post count and several people watching this thread to check here only to find out that someone else doesn't have the update.

I may be out of line in saying this but it's just my thought. Take it or leave it.

Not sure if you know this/are allowed to comment, but if we've been toying with the idea of rooting, do you know if it would be worthwhile to avoid this update, waiting for devs to push out a rooted version of it, or will the current exploit still function?

I haven't tried a custom ROM that was smooth as a pushed update...but they are getting better...

One Question..Why do you want to Root?

I'm interested in being able to flash to future ROMs when they become better than stock (as I'm sure this will happen someday), and I want to make sure I don't lose that ability for a while if I update. Right now I'm interested in the Bugless Beauty on alldroid, which is basically stock 2.0.1 with all of the 2.1 apps, but supposedly completely bug free. It also moves all system apps to /data to allow removal of apps you do not want.

Additionally, with root, Mobile Defense can be installed as a system app, preventing it from being uninstalled and allowing remote enabling of the GPS.

There are also apps I'm interested in that require root access, such as one that disables the soft-key backlighting when the Droid is docked.

This is my first post here, so bear with me. I missed the map on the original update, mostly because I was still on an Eris at that point (long story). The update may be related to something different, such as ESN (MEID) or serial number or phone number or account creation date or something. Has anyone looked into this?

This is my first post here, so bear with me. I missed the map on the original update, mostly because I was still on an Eris at that point (long story). The update may be related to something different, such as ESN (MEID) or serial number or phone number or account creation date or something. Has anyone looked into this?

so far from what ive read..there is no set pattern to this update...just gotta b patient

so far from what ive read..there is no set pattern to this update...just gotta b patient

Oh, absolutely we have to wait no matter what! Even if it DID turn out to correlate to serial number or something, that's not exactly something we can force to change. Even if I could change my phone to get the update a few days/hours faster, I wouldn't do it in the likelihood that it would also completely bone my cell phone service :)

However, there must be SOME pattern, even if it is not obvious what that pattern is right now, otherwise everyone would get the release at once. I don't think we can ask a Verizon insider, since if he/she revealed the pattern and was the only one to ask about it, it could endanger their job.

Confusion, maybe?

I am a little confused. So people who say they got the update are saying that their phone build, kernel and firmwire are the same even though they updated? Under our rights as owning the phone, I believe if an update has happened some form of the original settings must be changed in order to provide evidence of a change between past and present.

If someone has ordered the phone today the 18th or after please let everyone know whether your build, kernel or firmwire number is different because verizon would have already manufactured phones with the most recent software.

I'm starting to be convinced that this is not an update but rather some maintenance thing only very few users received.
This is a guess but people also believed the lions were not going to win a game and guess what they won 2!!

Does anyone know if this patches root?

from another 2.1 thread in this forum:

I got the notice for the update at about 03:00 this morning, saw that it was 2.01 when I already had that one since I bought the phone just before Xmas. After applying it, my superuser permissions app was gone, and SU access shut off. Reapplied the root package and all returned to normal.
:icon_ banana:

BTW, I got my phone as a FRU a few days ago, and I haven't installed any updates (to my knowledge).

Model number: Droid

Firmware Version: 2.0.1

Baseband Version: C_01.3E.01P

Kernel version:
2.6.29-omap1-g0dd7e0b
android-build@apa26 #511

Build number: ESD56

Also notice that my post indicated my phone is on ESD56. The OP seems to be saying this will bump the version to ESD59. When I get an update, I'll post here with the new details (with a quote of the old details for comparison.)

Last edited:
What the heck is this sling app talk and 30 dollars yet it's still awesome?

Nothing to see here folks...move along

This is much a do about nothing. I have the same version that these users are getting "updated" to.

Yay

hey i dont think i got an update this morning how can i check??

Apparently you cant check...

I've already posted saying I dont trust whatever people think this update is. Droid forums says their sources give them this information...

If they provide anything to show these sources exist I would be happy to support what they say...

So far all we know is that probably 10 people got an update... and they cant even check if they got it or not...

Engadget says this update improved a facebook app... Yay

They are probably not sure what they are talking about either...:mad:

hey i dont think i got an update this morning how can i check??

Apparently you cant check...

I've already posted saying I dont trust whatever people think this update is. Droid forums says their sources give them this information...

If they provide anything to show these sources exist I would be happy to support what they say...

So far all we know is that probably 10 people got an update... and they cant even check if they got it or not...

Engadget says this update improved a facebook app... Yay

They are probably not sure what they are talking about either...:mad:

Ummm there's a 3 page long thread on WHAT the update is but i'll copy the op here for you:

droid-android21-update.jpg

We were expecting an update to happen this week beginning on January 22nd but folks its arriving early! Verizon is pushing out a 61.4 MB maintenance release today ahead of schedule that should get users excited for whats soon to come. We haven't seen reports of the version / build number change, although we believe there is still something going on behind the scenes and soon, that will update to 2.0.1 ESD59.

Our sources have indicated Android 2.1 has passed all internal testing on the Droid and a target is to have all Droids updated before the end of the month. This patch had added some minor fixes and preps the phone for a smooth Android 2.1 RELEASE. To be clear, the forthcoming immediate update is not 2.1, but a precursor to smooth the transition to 2.1 which will follow within the next couple of weeks. Stay Tuned, more details to come!

Check out the discussion already in progress here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/16618-droid-update-morning.html
:icon_eek:

no update for me.... did i miss something? this doesnt get pushed to everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back