[KERNEL] Kernel (deprimed_test) - Break It If You Can

I haven't been using compcache much lately but I just enabled it for testing purposes. Everything is working here. Try enabling in CM settings, reboot, and then click it again after reboot (even if it is already checked). This worked for me.

Tried this, still nothing.

I get:

cd: can't cd to /sys/block/zram0

Everything still runs very well otherwise. I'm not doing any of the scripting though, just accepting default slots/vsels. 900Mhz is plenty. No reason to burn through battery.

I haven't been using compcache much lately but I just enabled it for testing purposes. Everything is working here. Try enabling in CM settings, reboot, and then click it again after reboot (even if it is already checked). This worked for me.

I get:

Everything still runs very well otherwise. I'm not doing any of the scripting though, just accepting default slots/vsels. 900Mhz is plenty. No reason to burn through battery.
Sounds like it could be a permissions issue. If you use Rom Manager you can try fix permissions.

I get:

Sounds like it could be a permissions issue. If you use Rom Manager you can try fix permissions.

Looking in Root Explorer, zram0 does not exist at /sys/block/

I get:

Looking in Root Explorer, zram0 does not exist at /sys/block/

Same problem as you .... same error message
And I def need compcache for my gingerbread to run well.....

Has anybody been able to mount their ext4 and/or swap partitions with this kernel? I've only go mmcblk0p1 in /dev/block, instead of the ...p1 (/sdcard),p2 (/sd-ext),p3 (swap) that should show up....

Prime, I can't thank you enough for these kernels. Really, excellent work, senor!

Any chance there's a public repository I could pull your sources/patches from, though? I'm not looking to release my own kernel on the interwebs or anything, but I do like configuring/compiling my own kernels and hardcoding mpu parameters.

I get:

Compcache worked for me. I disabled compcache, flashed the new test kernel, rebooted, enabled compcache, then rebooted then typed "free" in terminal and it showed my swap. For me it didn't work until after the reboot. Also I tried typing "compcache start" before the reboot and it just gave me some error (I think it was the same as the one you wrote but I'm not sure). So you get that error in terminal emulator I take it? Did you type "compcache start" or what did you do before the error showed up?

Has anybody been able to mount their ext4 and/or swap partitions with this kernel? I've only go mmcblk0p1 in /dev/block, instead of the ...p1 (/sdcard),p2 (/sd-ext),p3 (swap) that should show up....

Prime, I can't thank you enough for these kernels. Really, excellent work, senor!

Any chance there's a public repository I could pull your sources/patches from, though? I'm not looking to release my own kernel on the interwebs or anything, but I do like configuring/compiling my own kernels and hardcoding mpu parameters.

All of the apps on my ext2 partition that I set up with Link2sd show up fine. Also I can mount my linuxswap partition with swapper 2. I don't have an ext3 or ext4 partition set up at the moment so I can't check those.

When I turned on my sdcard swap partition with swapper 2 it showed one giant swap made from compcache combined with the sdcard swap space. I turned it back off because I don't need the sdcard swap running all the time but when using swapper 2 it sets the swapiness before enabling the partition. Will changing the swapiness affect how your kernel handles the compcache swap or is that controlled independently? If it does affect it could you tell me the default value that you use for swapiness so I can set it back the way it was?

Also I'm curious as to how the combined swap space is handled, does the stuff on the sdcard get compressed to? Does it prioritized and choose the compressed ram first and then move things to the sdcard swap partition once that is full or does it see them as the same and randomly put things into both spaces? If you don't have time to get into it (or if you don't know) no biggie, I'm just interested in how all of this works together.

Thanks!

Compcache worked for me. I disabled compcache, flashed the new test kernel, rebooted, enabled compcache, then rebooted then typed "free" in terminal and it showed my swap. For me it didn't work until after the reboot. Also I tried typing "compcache start" before the reboot and it just gave me some error (I think it was the same as the one you wrote but I'm not sure). So you get that error in terminal emulator I take it? Did you type "compcache start" or what did you do before the error showed up?

The files for compcache do not exist on my phone. I've flashed and reflashed deprimed a few times while having compcache disabled and such. No joy.

The files for compcache do not exist on my phone. I've flashed and reflashed deprimed a few times while having compcache disabled and such. No joy.

How much space do you have left on /system?

Do you have plenty of free space in /system before flashing? If it is too full the necessary files may not get copied.

My kernel doesn't have ext4, I will add it for you.

I don't currently have a git setup, its on my to do list.

Do you have plenty of free space in /system before flashing? If it is too full the necessary files may not get copied.

Great minds...=)

Great minds...=)

Haha, you were too quick for me. I had some problems a while back from full /system, now I always check it if things don't seem to be flashing properly. In fact I usually just delete cmwallpapers.apk from the update before I flash it to make sure there is plenty of extra space.

Last edited:
While performance is great, I have noticed that benchmark scores have dropped considerably from #5. I'm always wary of putting too much stock in these numbers and rather use them to test my slots and gauge performance between builds. With #5 I was in the low 40s. Now with #6 things don't get much better than the mid 60s. Any idea why they would drop by nearly 50%? Same slots and voltages used.

Sent from my CM7 Droid using DroidForums App

Back