[KERNEL] Kernel (deprimed_test) - Break It If You Can

Hello, everyone. :) First time poster, very long time reader.

I've recently taken to modding my woman's Droid at her request. It has been fairly sluggish as of late (choppy transitions to the app drawer, etc.), so I told her that I might be able to fix that, while adding new features and making it prettier. That went over well.

I bumped her up from a bog standard Froyo install to CM7-8, and then loaded up DePrimed #6 tonight after #5 caused sporadic reboots. I also had her boost the max clockspeed up to 900MHz.

My question to you lot is this (please don't hesitate to point me in another direction):

Is CM7#8 + DePrimed #6 an ideal combination? She can overclock up to 1200MHz with the CM/DP combo I gave her, and compcache is enabled in CM7, but her phone still feels pretty choppy at times.

Is there anything I can do to further perk this phone up with what we have installed? Would it be better to roll with Winner00's CM7#8-4 + DePrimed #6?

Thanks, all.

//EDIT: 975 in Quadrant, which I know is not a great benchmark, but it's good for relative performance.

Last edited:

I've recently taken to modding my woman's Droid at her request. It has been fairly sluggish as of late (choppy transitions to the app drawer, etc.), so I told her that I might be able to fix that, while adding new features and making it prettier. That went over well.

I bumped her up from a bog standard Froyo install to CM7-8, and then loaded up DePrimed #6 tonight after #5 caused sporadic reboots. I also had her boost the max clockspeed up to 900MHz.

My question to you lot is this (please don't hesitate to point me in another direction):

Is CM7#8 + DePrimed #6 an ideal combination? She can overclock up to 1200MHz with the CM/DP combo I gave her, and compcache is enabled in CM7, but her phone still feels pretty choppy at times.

Is there anything I can do to further perk this phone up with what we have installed? Would it be better to roll with Winner00's CM7#8-4 + DePrimed #6?

Thanks, all.

//EDIT: 975 in Quadrant, which I know is not a great benchmark, but it's good for relative performance.
i would try the reprimed kernel. it has different slots and voltages for overclocking. a max of 900. 1200 is cool. but long term its not too good for the phone. Part of your issue may be that your pushing the phone too hard. 1200 is twice the intended processor speed of the phone.
also, you could try clearing your dalvik cache
and you can check "keep home in memory" under cm performance settings
and turn on compcache
umm...other than that, a lot of widgets can slow everything down.
im trying to think of other stuff, but no luck this early in the am. im sure others will chime in though.
and at 1200 i would expect a quadrant of closer to 1300-1400 so something is not working right

edit: the deprimed kernel is great, but its mainly for experimentation and at this point testing. it has all the features of reprimed plus a ish ton more, but i havent used it yet

Thanks, all.

i would try the reprimed kernel. it has different slots and voltages for overclocking. a max of 900. 1200 is cool. but long term its not too good for the phone. Part of your issue may be that your pushing the phone too hard. 1200 is twice the intended processor speed of the phone.
also, you could try clearing your dalvik cache
and you can check "keep home in memory" under cm performance settings
and turn on compcache
umm...other than that, a lot of widgets can slow everything down.
im trying to think of other stuff, but no luck this early in the am. im sure others will chime in though.
and at 1200 i would expect a quadrant of closer to 1300-1400 so something is not working right

edit: the deprimed kernel is great, but its mainly for experimentation and at this point testing. it has all the features of reprimed plus a ish ton more, but i havent used it yet

Thanks for the tips. :) To be clear, the phone is at 900MHz, not 1200. 1200 is a touch outside my comfort zone for the type of user my girlfriend is.

@Prime: Seriously great work on the DePrimed kernel. Thank you for your effort.

Updated second post to include instructions on new scripts, I hope it makes for a smoother deprimed kernel test.

permalink to second post

Last edited:
So prime, just to see if I am understanding this correctly, as soon as I click "Load Module" in Milestone OC, the kernel switches to ULV, regardless of if any scripting is done?

So prime, just to see if I am understanding this correctly, as soon as I click "Load Module" in Milestone OC, the kernel switches to ULV, regardless of if any scripting is done?

No, you do not load the module or application to use the scripts (only needs to be installed).

The milestone application only changes the top slot.

Ok thanks, got it working, I'm not much for scripting so sorry for the stupid question

Wasn't a stupid question, I included these scripts for everyday common droid users and advanced alike.

I understand everyone who is rooted isn't necessarily a linux/android guru ;)

Works great for a template for someone like me, edited the slots a little to my liking and all seems well

The insmod command is failing on me for some reason. I've verified the overclock file is there and I'm R/W. I'm getting "init_module 'overclock.ko' failed (Exec error format)" Gonna google it and see what I come up with.

The insmod command is failing on me for some reason. I've verified the overclock file is there and I'm R/W. I'm getting "init_module 'overclock.ko' failed (Exec error format)" Gonna google it and see what I come up with.

You need to first uninstall Milestone Overclock, then install the deprimed version ( http://bit.ly/dpoverclock ).

No, you do not load the module or application to use the scripts (only needs to be installed).

The milestone application only changes the top slot.

I must really be dim but do i just dl the deprimed kernel..install..install your milestone clock..don't open...then what? type in su? then mount? sysrw?..then how do i load a script into scripter to get it to work? Your are absolutly right about some of us not being lunx guru's :)

Last edited:
Install the deprimed milestone overclocker and the deprimed test kernal.

Do not load the module in milestone overclocker, you don't need to do anything with that app.

Once you're rebooted, open terminal emulator.
Type in su, enter.
To load the module and the ULV settings on the fly - Type in overclock, enter.
If you're happy with them, to load them permanently for reboot - Type in primed, enter.

Install the deprimed milestone overclocker and the deprimed test kernal.

Do not load the module in milestone overclocker, you don't need to do anything with that app.

Once you're rebooted, open terminal emulator.
Type in su, enter.
To load the module and the ULV settings on the fly - Type in overclock, enter.
If you're happy with them, to load them permanently for reboot - Type in primed, enter.

correct, thank you for posting

Back