[KERNEL] Kernel (deprimed_test) - Break It If You Can

I found this script here Alternative to App2SD - Link2SD
and if I run it in Gscripts it works.

I saved it as 99complete and put it in /system/etc/int.d w/750 permission but no luck

#!/system/bin/sh
#

if [ -e /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 ];
# if [ -e /dev/block//vold/179:2 ];
then
echo "--- Checking filesystems";

# fsck the sdcard filesystem first
e2fsck -y /dev/block/mmcblk0p2;
# e2fsck -y /dev/block//vold/179:2;

# set property with exit code in case an error occurs
setprop lk.e2fsck.errors $?;

# mount and set perms
busybox mount -o noatime,nodiratime -t auto /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data/sdext2;
# busybox mount -o noatime,nodiratime -t auto /dev/block//vold/179:2 /data/sdext2;
if [ "$?" = 0 ];
then
# busybox chown 1000:1000 /data/sdext2;
busybox chmod 771 /data/sdext2;

# setprop lk.a2sd.active 1;

echo "+++ Link2SD successfully enabled";
else
echo "*** Unable to mount filesystem for Link2SD!";
fi
fi

That is weird that you are having problems with your ext2 partition, mine is working with the latest deprimed kernel and winners most recent build. I have the script I mentioned in the other thread in /system/etc/init.d and it mounts my ext2 partiton on boot.

Try this edited script:

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh

then

# mount and set perms
    busybox mount -o noatime -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data/sdext2;
    if [ "$?" = 0 ];
    then

else
    fi
fi

Great Job Prime.

I created a SD-EXT Partition on my SD Card and I can mount it in recovery but I cannot access when the phone is running. I have been reading and the Kernal play a role in this. Any ideas how I can use the partition for my apps?

I have been using Dark tremors script for this and it works great. I have used it with CM6.1, CM7 and PE5. That is how I got on this thread in the first place, I was searching for a kernel that would work with PE5 and Dark Tremor A2SD.

@ Prime - trying the script now.

@ dd - can you provide a link to DT? I only found it on Facebook and that is useless to me.

Great Job Prime.

I created a SD-EXT Partition on my SD Card and I can mount it in recovery but I cannot access when the phone is running. I have been reading and the Kernal play a role in this. Any ideas how I can use the partition for my apps?

I have been using Dark tremors script for this and it works great. I have used it with CM6.1, CM7 and PE5. That is how I got on this thread in the first place, I was searching for a kernel that would work with PE5 and Dark Tremor A2SD.

Prime - I copied your script. saved it as 99complete. put it in /system/etc/int.d. changed permissions to 750

I ran Link2sd and the app cannot find the partition. how can i tell if the script ran, if the partition is mountable, or any other troubleshooting methods?

Thanks,
ed

Try this edited script:

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh

then

# mount and set perms
    busybox mount -o noatime -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data/sdext2;
    if [ "$?" = 0 ];
    then

else
    fi
fi

@ dd - can you provide a link to DT? I only found it on Facebook and that is useless to me.

Great Job Prime.

This is from the facebook page. It is a link to an ftp site where his files are store. The link from there for the one I am using is listed below also.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://www.tinyurl.com/dtftp&h=e8b8b

ftp://dtuser:[email protected]/dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta04-signed.zip

This is from the facebook page. It is a link to an ftp site where his files are store. The link from there for the one I am using is listed below also.

Does DarkTremor Apps2sd move all of your apps to the sdcard or can you choose which ones to move and which to leave on the phone's internal memory? I like Link2sd because you can pick apps to move but if you want to move all of your apps there are a few ways to do it. One alternative to using DarkTremor's script is an app on the market called simple2ext that was written for CM7 specifically that will move entire folders including /data/app, /data/app-private, /data/dalvik-cache, and /cache/download to an sdext partition. I used ext3 with it, I'm not sure if it supports ext2 and ext4. Also obviously you can't pick and choose which to move and which to leave on the phone's internal memory and currently I don't think you can undo moving the app folders but the dev says that an undo option will be available in the future.

I think I'm going to make an Apps2sd thread because it has come up in a few threads and it deserves its own place for discussion.

Last edited:

Does DarkTremor Apps2sd move all of your apps to the sdcard or can you choose which ones to move and which to leave on the phone's internal memory? I like Link2sd because you can pick apps to move but if you want to move all of your apps there are a few ways to do it. One alternative to using DarkTremor's script is an app on the market called simple2ext that was written for CM7 specifically that will move entire folders including /data/app, /data/app-private, /data/dalvik-cache, and /cache/download to an sdext partition. I used ext3 with it, I'm not sure if it supports ext2 and ext4. Also obviously you can't pick and choose which to move and which to leave on the phone's internal memory and currently I don't think you can undo moving the app folders but the dev says that an undo option will be available in the future.

I think I'm going to make an Apps2sd thread because it has come up in a few threads and it deserves its own place for discussion.

As far as I know all apps that were internal are moved and so far this has presented no problems. Is Link2sd in the Market? I would like to experiment with it.

i'm in the same boat as you itchn2go.

i was originally using winner00 build of CM7 with this deprimed kernel. using Firerats script from xda was painless and set up my apps2ext for me.

but i am now trying to use it with project elite 5.0.2 gingerbread. the kernel works fine but it cant find the partition either.
i think it has to do with mounting at boot which would mean something with the scripts in /system/etc/init.d? correct me if im wrong but would copying the init.d folder from CM7 to the project elite rom cause a disaster? or would that cause the sd to mount at boot.

Link2SD is on the market and it is really a fantastic app.
It allows choice of what you want on ext partition and what you want to keep actually internal.
I say actually since on both app2sd and link2sd, still show as being internal.
Dev named bakpinar over at xda has thread for link app and contains number of scripts to disable the app2sd mount and creates new mount in data/ext or ext2 but can't remember off the top of my head.
As I've been trying out cm app2sd, but will be changing back as I like that it allows user greater control.

Ddavid I cannot access either of the links you supplied.
Could you possibly link the scripts to your signature so I can download them.
It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
danceswithbongs

Prime, does moving apps to the SD card mess with compcache? I literally lost the zram0 module somehow during the day without even restarting, had compcache this morning, don't now, reflashed the kernel to no avail, compcache start in terminal returns "can't open /dev/block/zram0: no such file or directory" and the only thing I can think of that I messed with is I moved a few apps to my sdcard to make some space. I know there's been some discussion here about it but it mostly flew over my head

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this kernel is supposed to work with ROMs other than Cyanogenmod. If not, then ignore this post.

I am installing this latest kernel build #6 on sapphire 2.0.2. After rebooting from recovery (RZRecovery) my 3G is gone. Wifi works, but the phone will not connect to the 3G network. I have tried airplane mode and all that stuff, but the 3G just isn't happening. I even tried a wipe and reinstall of the ROM, but the same issue occurs after I install the kernel. Any ideas?

Prime, does moving apps to the SD card mess with compcache? I literally lost the zram0 module somehow during the day without even restarting, had compcache this morning, don't now, reflashed the kernel to no avail, compcache start in terminal returns "can't open /dev/block/zram0: no such file or directory" and the only thing I can think of that I messed with is I moved a few apps to my sdcard to make some space. I know there's been some discussion here about it but it mostly flew over my head

Try the following in terminal:

handle_compcache

That works for me...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Back