~OFFICIAL: FRG01B FroYo Issues/Solutions Thread~

I have/had the same problem.
I switched from using a live wallpaper, which may use up more resources, to a static one and it is def faster.
I tried using a pic file as a wallpaper and it's slower too.
Unfortunately all of the static wallpapers suck, imo.

Anybody know of downloadable static wallpapers?

Thanks
B

I use a program called Wallswitch and have a folder of different pictures resized to close to the screen native resolution. Wallswitch change the wallpaper at set intervals and have no problem. You may wanna give it a shot.

Ever since I installed Froyo, trying to enter a password or number in a menu (such as when entering a password for voice mail) duplicates the number tone and I get "Sorry, that's the incorrect password". If I go off speaker, it only hits the tone once and I can get in.

Frankly I'm not sure whether dial menus like this actually listen to the number tones, but it's frustrating using a phone when I can't check my messages.

What is causing this and how do I fix it? I'm afraid of upgrading to Motorola's official Froyo and still having it happen, as it makes a major function of my phone useless.

Well, this is a first I'll say that much. I don't have a solution to this issue at all but one of the reasons I moved you here was maybe somebody else has seen this issue.

What kind of bothers me about your post is you are afraid to go to Motorola's "Official" Froyo. What Froyo are you running and why wouldn't you be running the official. Maybe that's part of the issue.

You've got nothing to lose, if you're rooted I can point you to an Official of FRG01B if you're not rooted we can get you to FRG22. The problem may be in the version you are using.

I'm afraid of updating to Motorola's official version because it may interfere with my ability to root or do other things on the phone which I can do now. I've read that it de-roots your phone and I was going to wait to hear what people were saying about it before updating. Frankly I'm happy with the ROM I have (it's super speedy) minus the dialer issue, and even though I know there is a fix for the de-root, I want to wait a while to see what people are saying.

I have an unrooted Droid 1. After the 2.2 update my battery life is crap. Does anybody else have this problem? I have the screen set to either the most dim setting or on auto at times. I send a fair amount of texts throughout the day, but nothing over the top. I have to charge my phone daily now, even on days were I don't use it much at all. Does any body have any ideas?
BTW: GPS, Bluetooth and WiFi are all off.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an unrooted Droid 1. After the 2.2 update my battery life is crap. Does anybody else have this problem? I have the screen set to either the most dim setting or on auto at times. I send a fair amount of texts throughout the day, but nothing over the top. I have to charge my phone daily now, even on days were I don't use it much at all. Does any body have any ideas?

Andy

Battery life on an unrooted Droid is, IMHO better then on a rooted Droid.

I understand that these phones suck up a lot of juice. So what's the work around?

Buy an extra battery. Get an inexpensive charger off of ebay to plug into a wall. If you use it in your car, get a car charger. This isn't too much different then what I experienced with the Blackberry Storm.

Get the right equipment and enjoy your Droid. Quit obsessing on the battery.

I have/had the same problem.
I switched from using a live wallpaper, which may use up more resources, to a static one and it is def faster.
I tried using a pic file as a wallpaper and it's slower too.
Unfortunately all of the static wallpapers suck, imo.

Anybody know of downloadable static wallpapers?

Thanks
B

I use a program called Wallswitch and have a folder of different pictures resized to close to the screen native resolution. Wallswitch change the wallpaper at set intervals and have no problem. You may wanna give it a shot.

Also the AndroLib Wallpapers app.

Andy
It's time to re-cycle your Droid!

No, I don't mean throw it out, I mean re-cycle it. Much like you occasionally have to cycle Nickel-based rechargeable batteries you have to cycle your Droid's ability to read and memorize battery charge states. By re-cycling it you force your Droid to re-learn the proper charge states so it doesn't cut your charge short after 80-85% of a full charge.

Let the phone run down till it shuts off on its own and then plug it in (or use another charger if you have it) and allow the phone/charger to sit for at least an hour and at best two to fully charge without interruption or use. It's annoying, but if it doesn't fix at least part of your battery life problem there's something else going on. :)

Good luck!

Andy
It's time to re-cycle your Droid!

No, I don't mean throw it out, I mean re-cycle it. Much like you occasionally have to cycle Nickel-based rechargeable batteries you have to cycle your Droid's ability to read and memorize battery charge states. By re-cycling it you force your Droid to re-learn the proper charge states so it doesn't cut your charge short after 80-85% of a full charge.

Let the phone run down till it shuts off on its own and then plug it in (or use another charger if you have it) and allow the phone/charger to sit for at least an hour and at best two to fully charge without interruption or use. It's annoying, but if it doesn't fix at least part of your battery life problem there's something else going on. :)

Good luck!

I have to disagree with the above post. Batteries the days are not the same as baatteries from yesteryears. Discharging a battery down everytime will actually shorten your battery life.

Read this
Battery Charging Myths - Android Forums

Froyo operates more heavily than previous versions but also very efficent when setup properly.

I average 11-15 hours with moderate uae on my droid phone. Over a day with minimal use.

furbearingmammal, i am not saying that you are wrong. i am not saying that what you wrote wont work. what i am saying it by doing so can actually have a negative affect on the battery in the long run. letting the battery fully discharge actually hurts the battery. i understand the reasoning in method, i just do not do it or recommend it for the sake if the battery life in the long run. just my .02 for what its worth.

so to continue........

like any update the OS changes. some apps will have a negative impact on system performance. and others will have no affect. froyo (FRG01B & FRG22D) seems to hold true to this.

if it was me i would uninstall all my apps. reflash the froyo or whichever update that there had issues with. then install the apps back one at a time and give it a couple hrs before installing another app this way i could see which app had an issue. if you have a lot of apps this may be time consuming --- but that is what i would do.

by removing the apps in the beginning and doing a reflash of the update, you get a clean start. yes there are oterh and easier ways but this is what i would do. i am a nerd and geek i like to know what works and does not.

stay away from ANY app that controls, tasks, startup, apps, killer, memory and such. the android system has all of this built in and works very efficiently.
i have never used any of those on my droid - EVER. dont see the point of it --- again this is just me ..... others may have there own view/way and if it works for them then great!!! its just not what i do.

turn off any un-need options until you need them: bluetooth, data, gps, wifi, sync.

get rid of those widgets. yes there are pretty but not needed. i have 2 widgets (android agenda & mixzing) and thats it.

no 2 devices run equally, no 2 devices will run any software equally. so with that in mind what works for one device may not work well for another.

after all that and your still eating up juice then do as hookbill said , buy another battery & charger. An update changes the OS it will affect your battery good/bad. if the OS worked fine before the update then go back. problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lost SD Mount Shortcut

After upgrading to OTA Froyo 2.2 Stock on a Droid 1 I lost the mount for SD CARD shortcut using Anycut.

I use the utility to setup the Droid for plugin to my Prius to get the USB to recognize the SD Card.

Anyone else have this problem?

furbearingmammal, i am not saying that you are wrong. i am not saying that what you wrote wont work. what i am saying it by doing so can actually have a negative affect on the battery in the long run. letting the battery fully discharge actually hurts the battery. i understand the reasoning in method, i just do not do it or recommend it for the sake if the battery life in the long run. just my .02 for what its worth.

Lipo Batteries have a low voltage cutoff point that they should not be discharge below. The phone should have a monitor circuit that shuts the phone off at or above this point. My wife is aways letting her phone discharge to the point that it has shutoff. Is the battery flat dead? NO, the phone watches the voltage and shuts off before that.

People with 2.2 issues that did not get the larger file over the air or manual update with the larger file can do themselves a favor by downloading that larger file and running the update manually again with it, as it appears to be a cleaner install.

And yes I believe that a deep cycle of the battery does help the phone learn the cycle limits of the battery and it appears to help "things" regarding the battery life. Which may just be how it is displayed, not actual battery life. That is one may just be reteaching the power meter circuit not actually the battery it's self.

I race electric Radio Control trucks in the winter in our RV Park and last winter I switched to Lipo batteries. We are very anal about charging, cell balance, use and storage of these batteries. The speed controls have adjustable Lipo cutoff circuits to protect the battery from over discharging.

Chris

Last edited:
I have an unrooted Droid 1. After the 2.2 update my battery life is crap. Does anybody else have this problem?

Andy

I had this problem. Went from being able to go 18 hours on the day and still have 40% left to being dead at 12 hours. I didn't try the methods proposed about re-cycling, but I did a factory reset and it cleared up all battery problems. Now I'm back to easily making it through the day with battery to spare.

I dislike FRG22D and would like to go back to FRG01B...is there a way of doing this without doing a system reset? I've tried to go in through recovery with both the 40 and 75MB official FRG01B files in the root of my SDCARD (named "update.zip") and updating to those but I get errors when that happens. Any ideas?

Back