[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

Question....
What is your current setup?? Stock? Never been rooted on this phone? I think I have a theory. Can u give me a history quickly?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

I had been rooted using the stock rom for some time (I did this manually pushing all the files using a command prompt which isn't working for me anymore), and then I accidentally accepted an update back in November 2010 probably to FRG83D and lost root, though the superuser icon never went away. Just recently I tried to root again using SuperOneClick and it goes through the process, tells me I'm rooted, but doesn't give me root. Then I tried this method, and still no luck. :(

I had been rooted using the stock rom for some time (I did this manually pushing all the files using a command prompt which isn't working for me anymore), and then I accidentally accepted an update back in November 2010 probably to FRG83D and lost root, though the superuser icon never went away. Just recently I tried to root again using SuperOneClick and it goes through the process, tells me I'm rooted, but doesn't give me root. Then I tried this method, and still no luck. :(

You are going to have to sbf back to stock frg83g and go from there. I think that might be the only way.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

You are going to have to sbf back to stock frg83g and go from there. I think that might be the only way.

Do you mean a simple or advanced Nandroid restore? When I try to run that, I get "Error: Nandroid exited with status 21"

I think I've tried everything I can find links to around here...

Anyone know how to get around this error in RSD Lite:

Failed flashing process. Failed flashing process. (0x7100); phone connected

Do you mean a simple or advanced Nandroid restore? When I try to run that, I get "Error: Nandroid exited with status 21"

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/20546-nandroid-error-codes.html

Seems the restore folder has a space in it?

But I was referring to using rsdlite to flash an sbf file that would return the phone to out of the box never been touched state.

Shattered, you can unroot without rsd lite and root again, or try installing a custom rom. Either of those will format /system and install fresh.

Good luck

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

EDIT: the idea is to get rid of your old Superuser.apk somehow, so now see my latest post in this thread . . .

Last edited:
What teddy says is what I was gonna recommend. Search unroot on this forum. No pc required.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

So to continue my thought from post #1660 in this thread, you _could_ go ahead and unroot, CJM posted a link to a great guide in the post above mine here, but the whole problem seems to be the pesky left-over Superuser.apk file from your previous root that for some reason the OTA didn't remove. An odd situation indeed. The file(s) that you would use to either flash a custom ROM and/or unroot contain a command that would format /system therefore removing your old Superuser.apk and then since it's a custom ROM and/or a stock ROM, it will then reinstall the necessary stuff back into /system to make your phone work.

HOWEVER, if you want to try something different first, well I might have your solution. I took Motocache1's update.zip file and modded it to add a command that _should_ delete your old Superuser.apk before installing the new one. It might just short-cut your process so you don't have to unroot/install a custom ROM. Here's the direct link:

http://ted.servepics.com/nap/droid/MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1_teddyearp-mod_update.zip

Use it just like the other contained in this guide.

good luck

So to continue my thought from post #1660 in this thread, you _could_ go ahead and unroot, CJM posted a link to a great guide in the post above mine here, but the whole problem seems to be the pesky left-over Superuser.apk file from your previous root that for some reason the OTA didn't remove. An odd situation indeed. The file(s) that you would use to either flash a custom ROM and/or unroot contain a command that would format /system therefore removing your old Superuser.apk and then since it's a custom ROM and/or a stock ROM, it will then reinstall the necessary stuff back into /system to make your phone work.

HOWEVER, if you want to try something different first, well I might have your solution. I took Motocache1's update.zip file and modded it to add a command that _should_ delete your old Superuser.apk before installing the new one. It might just short-cut your process so you don't have to unroot/install a custom ROM. Here's the direct link:

http://ted.servepics.com/nap/droid/MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1_teddyearp-mod_update.zip

good luck

Thanks for this. I forgot my laptop at home (I'm at work) but I will try to check this out tonight when I get home.

good luck

Thanks for this. I forgot my laptop at home (I'm at work) but I will try to check this out tonight when I get home.

I just downloaded it to my phone and tried to flash. It's telling me "E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip (status 6) Installation aborted.

Back