[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

Yes.

Naughty teddyearp.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Its still reading the updater script though.

You can still get the same codes when it can't find your sdcard as well.

Try it again if you wish

Well, the naughty boy is back, lol! I guess the best thing to recommend at this point is to try the custom ROM or unrooting and trying again, what ever it takes to wipe out the old Superuser.apk that seems to be giving shatteredhalo all the problems.

In my defense, I ONLY use notepad++ when I edit any updater-script files, so I took another look at it and maybe the problem was me trying to put a little message in there; I have now removed it, you are welcome to try it again, or not. Of course, there's always the long way around the barn and doing the commands your self using adb shell.

[musing]What I don't understand is that using this 'update.zip' file with it's "package_extract_dir" command is just like using the "adb push" command; this falls back to our greater power with root, both of those commands AFAIK will go ahead and overwrite without prompt files of the same name that are in the destination. Get where I'm going with this? Or do I have it wrong?[/musing]

I would definitely recommend flashing GPA14 in the Bugless forums if a new ROM is attempted. It's an ASOP-based Gingerbread ROM. I used this thread to root my Droid, but instead of using the Motocache file I used GPA12 (now up to 14).

Brandon

And I would definitely NOT recommend anything by Pete unless everything else has been exhausted -- which is why this is NOT a ROM-recommendation thread. :)

Instead I would recommend a stock-rooted 2.2 ROM and then moving on from there IF you choose to go the ROM route.

What is left to be exhausted? I would have recommended flashing a different ROM about 2 pages ago based on the info I read, but I stayed out of it. I can't in good conscience recommend something that I don't know works, but it would appear that flashing a different file than the one he is currently using is the current step to take to isolate what appears to be the source of the issue

Brandon

Every other ROM that he didn't develop. That was my point. I have seen way too many issues with Pete's ROMs to recommend them. But this is about rooting the Droid, ergo why I suggested flashing RZRecovery and using the in-recovery rooting tool. At that point Busybox can be downloaded from the Market to finish adding the needed functionality.

Every other ROM that he didn't develop. That was my point. I have seen way too many issues with Pete's ROMs to recommend them. But this is about rooting the Droid, ergo why I suggested flashing RZRecovery and using the in-recovery rooting tool. At that point Busybox can be downloaded from the Market to finish adding the needed functionality.
Good call all around, furman, but be careful. Pete's got a REAL loyal fanbase, lol. I remember when Pete first started, remember Bugless Beauty? I think he was still putting them together as a nandroid backup style rom back then.

When I read your RZR suggestion yesterday, it didn't stick where you were going with it, it's probably the very best solution as it has both a rooting feature and a FRS feature as well.

When I read your RZR suggestion yesterday, it didn't stick where you were going with it, it's probably the very best solution as it has both a rooting feature and a FRS feature as well.

Wow. So technically you can sbf rzrecovery and root and frs removal?

Hmm.

Guidot,

The root is root-access only, possibly the SU app. You'll HAVE to download Busybox from the Market or sideload it. But yes, you can use it. I'm also not 100% on the SU app, either, so it's a "last resort" or "I flashed a ROM and lost root" thing. :) I've also had so many problems with it I've gone back to SPR because it "just works", but that's me. I still recommend people try RZR as the feature list is incredible for those who have no problem with it.

Teddy,

Yeah, I hear you. While I will occasionally recommend his "stock" Gingerbread ROM, it's only for people who patently refuse to try anything but "stock" on their phones. But I call 'em like I seem 'em. I'm here for the users, not the developers. :)

And back on-topic, RaidZero even recommends using Moto's rooting update.zip to root a ROM, so that's another reason why I say the rooting feature of RZRecovery isn't for mainstream rooting.

Just a quick update: After flashing back to stock 2.2 as suggested, and then accepting the OTA updates, I was finally able to get rid of the old SU program. I was then able to successfully root my phone. Thanks everyone who helped, it was much appreciated. I was close to giving up! : )

Now... anyone have recommendations for a ROM to use? I'm not liking that the stock ROM is locked to 800MHz max, and MotoBlur is a pretty bad UI imo.

@ shattterdhalo, glad to hear you got if going. As for a rom, you'll have to ask elsewhere, please.

@guidot, yeah now I remember, you can use the rzr .sbf in place of MC1's, but rzr will only put 'su' on the phone. It does NOT install Superuser.apk, nor as furman pointed out, busybox.

@furman, I am in full agreement with you. I just thought that was one of the 'policies' here, to not talk badly of any dev. But we've been in the trenches where they come for help, and I like you, have paid attention to which rom(s) those with problems are running. ;)

Back